Author Topic: Techniques in Parkour  (Read 87803 times)

Offline Jan-Su

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Techniques in Parkour
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2014, 04:30:01 PM »
I disagree slightly with the first post.

So if the moves just by themselves cannot be considered "Parkour", then what is it? What else could it possibly be called? And what is it that we beginners are doing?

Look, not everyone is just bursting with new ideas all the time. Some of us need a little more direction than just that, especially complete beginners. If practicing each individual PK move in the hopes to gain eventual mastery over them isn't "Parkour", then what are we doing? How would you suggest we train?

Not to mention we wouldn't be nearly that ready yet to just be coasting through an environment. The seasoned practitioner sees it as a playground, a canvas to try different media, a cooking pot to try different ingredients. But to the new person, it's just another way to get hurt.

One more caveat. I've noticed that the beginning of this thread is getting to be a full decade old and counting. I'm sure times and views must have since changed at least a little bit in those nearly 10+ years.

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Techniques in Parkour
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2014, 07:46:05 PM »
It can be called 'training for Parkour,' or 'practicing Parkour techniques.' If you're in a batting cage, you're not playing baseball. Easy. Also, there's a big, huge, tremendous roof gap between doing a little improv flowetry and being unsafe. I know Asa, and I've never seen smoother moves, PK-ing or otherwise (wink!), and I'm pretty sure that he was concerned with two trends, the first of which being the obsession with tricks, and the second one being obsession with tricks. Totally different, I'll let you exercise some brain power.
PK4LIFE!