Author Topic: Techniques in Parkour  (Read 90405 times)

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
Techniques in Parkour
« on: December 17, 2005, 09:17:02 AM »
I'm typing this post in response to the apparent confusion of people in this forum when it comes to techniques in Parkour. To the casual observer, traceurs do "moves" to pass obstacles. A common misconception arises from this: that Parkour is a collection of "moves", and that there is a list of "Parkour moves" that, when preformed, are Parkour.

Individual techniques are not what makes up Parkour. Instead, it is your mindset that determines whether or not your actions are within the realm of Parkour. Without the correct intent, these movements are not being used for Parkour. This is what separates Parkour from other activities, the purposefulness.

There is no list that encompasses all motions that can be used in Parkour. This being said, there ARE some movements that are especially useful that many traceurs use as a base skill set in Parkour. These techniques are used very often because of their versatility and effectivness. These include the saut de chat (kong), saut de bras (cat leap), breakfalls, demi tour (turn vault), tic-tac, and passe muraille (wall climb) , among others.

However, as I said before, none of these movements are Parkour in and of themselves. Picture two cardboard boxes. One is filled with books, while the other contains nothing but air. At first glance, to the average observer, the boxes will be appear to be identical. Similarly, unless filled by the proper purpose, these techniques which would appear the same, are simply empty "moves".
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 03:31:42 PM by Ando »

Offline LockDown

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Techniques in Parkour
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 12:19:04 PM »
very good analogy.

Steez

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 02:33:47 PM »
here! here!

this is a realization that took me some time to come to after i began 'doing parkour'

in addition to the great ideas in Pistolwhip's post, there is also the idea that when you go and drill kongs, or rolls, or whatever you are drilling, you are not 'doing parkour', or 'practicing parkour', you are 'practicing FOR parkour'

we practice our movements so that when we do parkour, we don't need to think, or concentrate on the individual moves.  they become simple 'tools' to 'go that way,' as opposed to 'tricks' to 'flow that way'

Offline SovXietday

• Legend
  • Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 12:19:39 PM »
*Thumbs up*

Awesome job. :)
"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun"
www.crossfit.com

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 02:35:12 PM »
Haha thats deep man.
Hope that everyone will come here for that view. :)
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline michiganparkour

• Patas
  • WHAAAAAAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 07:05:27 PM »
i like it..easy to understand....good job with the analogy
Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 08:44:55 PM »
very nice. hey, do you mind if i post this somewhere else (giving credit to you of course)?

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 01:36:03 PM »
Of course, thanks for asking. Where are you planning to repost?

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 01:37:47 PM »
a myspace group

Offline Michael Zernow

• Captain Jetpack
  • Global Moderator
  • Patas
  • I believe in myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 08:12:30 AM »
Definite applause on that one Asa, i wish we could just take this and show it to people and say: "HEY, look at this. NOW"

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 08:52:00 AM »
Frosti, we can! At least that's what I've been doing. The only hard part is stapling their eyelids open. :-)

Seriously though, the message that many sites send to traceurs is either mixed, diluted with masses of misinformation, or just plain incorrect. This site has been doing pretty well with keeping people supplied with the truth, in the forum as well as the site content, and it's my pleasure to supplement that :-)

Offline mkerunner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 11:20:11 AM »
I'd say that definitly goes with the statement of athletics in general being 20% physical and 80% mental. Very good write up btw.
Live Life - Stay Strong - Play Hard

Midwest PK - Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 05:42:52 PM »
You definitely know what you are talking about (Asa), thanks for putting your write up in terms that we can all understand ;).  I definitely agree with you, parkour is all about combining the different "moves" in a way that helps you to move fluidly throught the environment around you.  Just a single move doesn't accomplish that much, I think thats why people that just happen to see a bunch of kids jumping around think of it as "delinquent activity".  When you combine a series a moves, not only does it look better, but anyone watching can actually begin to see the purpose of all the random movements. 
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 12:24:13 PM »
yeah i was practicing for parkour by jumping off of a 8ft shed t a church and i got in trouble with the cops so i cant go there anymore. but i do live in the suburbs. asa i had been getting a lot of mixed messages about parkour but now i fell like i am walking in a straight line now. i know the purpose of parkour.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 04:48:19 PM »
nice point
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline The Fallen

• Patas
  • We ain't got no meatballs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 08:43:08 PM »
I think APK has helped alot of traceurs get back on the meaning of parkour. Good post Asa!   ;D
Animals should not try to act like Humans, But if i want to act like a dolphin who's gonna F%$^&ing stop me?

Offline RhayneD

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 11:44:21 AM »
Nicely put, Asa. I have to agree with the others, great analogy.

However, I have a question... or two.

You mentioned in your explanation and clarification that Kong's and other moves are used as a basic skillset. What if I feel that a certain "move," for instance the Kong or dash, is not efficient for me and I only drill them every once in a while. If I still have the same mindset of Parkour when actually DOING Parkour, but I don't use dashes or Kong's in the process, does that mean I'm NOT "doing" Parkour when the time comes?

I think I just confused myself a bit with that question, but I hope you can see what I'm getting at.
"Definition is not the grand path. It is understanding that is the true destination." -RGM.
"Forget blood. Parkour runs through MY veins." -RGM

Gearsighted

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 04:45:15 PM »
Nope, you're spot-on. If a certain movement isn't the best way for YOU to overcome an obstacle, then it's not Parkour, as much as it may be a "standard" movement used by a majority of the Traceurs. The moves themselves are a foundation from which you find your body's most effective methods of moving over, around and through whatever obstacle may be in your intended path. If Kongs don't necessarily work for you, there are plenty of other ways to get where you're going :D

Asa, we might use this once we get our tutorial articles up and running on the main site. We had something similar written up, but it's always nice to get as much of the community involved with the content as possible, and you worded it perfectly :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 04:49:20 PM by gear »

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 05:04:43 PM »
but adding on to what gear said, just because it doesnt work best for you doesnt mean it cant work best for you through practice and repetition. there are some general movements that are definately better than others if you have them mastered.

Gearsighted

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 06:20:32 PM »
Damn straight, very good point. Don't use that fact as an excuse to put-off training something that may be extremely functional. Nice catch Demon :D