Author Topic: Too old?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline source

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • hi.
    • View Profile
Too old?
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:28:43 PM »
Hello, I'm new to this forum, but I have browsed this area and other Mississippi parkour forums in the past. I spend most of my time reading articles and training myself from the playgrounds in the area.

I want to learn flips, but I'm hesitant on going to gymnastic facilities. I would love to practice in a facility- my housing situation prevents me from jumping inside- however, I feel like I'm considered too old to learn a flip. Is 22 too old? It can't be impossible, but from the recent trips I've taken to nearby gymnastic facilities, they made me feel like it's too late to even attempt them.

I just need a place where I can practice flips safely. It beats landing on my neck in the playgrounds.

Offline source

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • hi.
    • View Profile
Re: Too old?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 07:53:37 PM »
So I landed on my neck while attempting a backflip on my sister's bed.

My entire left leg went numb.

I FEEL ASHAMED AND CONFLICTED. ಥ_ಥ

Offline Oliver Wegner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 04:46:16 AM »
Sorry, but I can hardly believe what you are saying :o

1. You are NEVER too old to start Parkour as long as you are reasonably healthy!

2. Although flips are not Parkour, why should you be too old?! You are 22 and probably not even at the peak of your strength. What are you gonna do when you are 40? Just sit around doing nothing?

3. Please don't train flips on your own if you don't know how to do them properly! Neck injuries are no fun at all...

I don't think there is a real problem, you're just inventing one. You wrote that you feel too old and they make you feel like it's too late to attempt flips. But did they say so? I can't really imagine.
If they did, look for another gym, they are douchebags.

Offline source

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:49:14 AM »
I guess I'm self-conscious. No, I am self-conscious.

There were many young children in the open gyms that I went to, and their parents were watching from a viewing window. I got really nervous because there was nobody in my age group there. I was...badly out of place. The instructors never said I was too old, just that they don't usually train people over the age of 17 or 18.

I have to practice how to jump higher before I try another flip. There are not a lot of gyms around my area.

Offline Brennan Bell

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 06:47:58 PM »
Source whenever you see this please email me at Avenged7x75@gmail.com. I can get you in my Parkour group and you can have some people to train with to help you get rid of being self conscious. :p

Offline source

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 08:51:15 PM »
Wow, thank you very much.  :) Can't wait to get in touch with you guys.