Author Topic: Shaked's Journals (NOOB ALERT advice apreciated)  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Shaked Or

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Amateur from Israel, recovering from injury
    • View Profile
Shaked's Journals (NOOB ALERT advice apreciated)
« on: February 25, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »
Hy my name is shaked and i'm 20.
I'm from Israel, hence my weird name.
Ill write about my self so you fellow APKer's will have some basic knowledge about me and a reference point to stuff i will talk about on my journal.

I was always a nerdy kid, my dad never did sports with me so i didn't really get into any sort of physical activity, i was always the gentle analytic type, I moved around to Thailand and Canada an lived there for a while.

When i was 13 i still didn't like PE etc, but I got into sky-skating cross country skying.
when i returned to Israel at age 15, i started getting a bit more into sports practicing krav maga and doing a bit more running and general exercise i also started surfing.
I enrolled in the Israeli army when i was 19 but was released shortly after on account of a knee injury.
So now that i'm off my crutches and am able to walk, as well as gotten my MD's blessing to return to physical activity, I want to prepare my body in order to return to full physical activity including krav maga training and eventually parkour, which has been a big dream of mine.

I was always very scrawny, although i eat quite a lot i have a very fast metabolism so i have trouble gaining muscle weight.
I guess my non-gradual entry to physical activity at a late age although didn't help and probably had some part in my injury.
Since i couldn't really walk, much less exercise for a long time i currently have very little muscle mass and tone, something i would like to change.

I joined this Forum because i love the scientifically aware, careful-yet motivating attitude here.
Im also hoping that keeping tabs on my progress and writing it down publicly will help me get the motivation i need to get back out, something that is quite difficult to do after a major army injury.

What i have right now in both my knees is CMP, i also have a bit of flatfoot. but according to my MD i should be able to return to full activity if i escalate gradually and keep up with my physical therapy.

Offline Shaked Or

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Shaked's Journals (NOOB ALERT advice apreciated)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »
I'm starting to build my Smart goal list, and my training plan.
i'd love to get some advice on what to start with.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »
Congrats on getting started!!

Give us some idea of your goals so we can give you some direction towards them.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Shaked Or

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:08:24 PM »
Well before going over the guides and instructions in the forums i didn't have any quantifiable goals. my mission was to increase my strength and muscle tone in to allow me to be able to start practicing Parkour movements and other sports freely as i did b4 my injury.

I now sort of know what kind of goals i should set up in order to set up a good exercise plan and get a good routine going.

Ill list my goals and hopefully ill be able to translate them into actions.

My goals are:

future goals:

-managing a 30s straddle Planche (is that a good start time goal?)
-managing a 60s hand stand on wall
-managing a 10s hand walk
-managing 5 HSPU
-doing 10 consecutive pull ups
-building enough form, tech and leg muscle to be able to barefoot run 1K without pain
-being able to go through 20 monkey bars
-setting up enough realistic goals to get a good start with a 2 push 2 pull 2 leg exercise (unless you recommend a different starting variation)
-building a realistic workout routine
- improving my rectus-femoris (i think that's the correct name) strength and stamina to avoid knee pains during normal activities
-doing cartwheels with good form

what do you think about these goals? are they SMART enough for good motivation and progress charting?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:28:02 PM by Shaked Or »

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:28:26 PM »
It's hard to tell you what we think are good goals for you and what aren't. We are unsure of your current abilities and what you're fully capable of doing. It's up to you, and you alone, to decide what kind of goals you want to set for yourself. If you really want to better organize your goals you can make some of them short term goals and some long term goals. Just don't lose track of what you're trying to achieve. A soon as you set those goals, it makes finding motivation to work towards them that much easier.