Author Topic: Dick's training log  (Read 37974 times)

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Dick's training log
« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2014, 05:16:09 AM »
Thursday, April 3rd

Open gym

Warmed up outside doing climb ups on an actual wall. Even that little bit of outside training was awesome.

Did a pretty solid back lever and then went for a RTO support hold. As I turned the rings out I felt like I got stuck and felt a little pain in my bicep. Annoyed, I tried to turn them out a few times but the pain just got worse. So I called it quits on the rings but the pain didn't go away. The general consensus is I probably got a really small tear in the bicep, which realistically I've been asking for training back levers so much on top of deadlifting and all my ring work. It hurts a little worse today. By no means unbearable, but I'm worried about how long it will take to heal and if I'll reinjure it.

So that put a huge damper on the rest of my training.
I started working on tic tac to cat leaps but that was stressing my bicep so I stopped
Practiced handstands, got 1 or 2 good stationary holds.
Front fulls and side halves off the vault.
Started absolutely nailing tunnel flips, really got a feel for it.
Practiced my split step a lot, working it with both dive kongs and monkeys. It's still really lacking.
A lot of precisions and some flow work over and under the beams.

That's the gist of it, I guess. Kinda pissy about this bicep thing. Better than a joint problem, I guess.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 07, 2014, 02:41:03 PM »
I forgot to update this on Friday but I went to open gym that night too.

I worked a lot on tunnel flips, front and side flips on flat ground, precisions, and handstands. A lot of other stuff but those are the things I actually drilled.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 14, 2014, 05:09:16 PM »
So I did a good amount of training all week and recorded none of it. I didn't work out at all just to give my bicep time to recover. Most of the week itself consisted of handstands and school work.

Friday and Saturday I practiced my side flips outside, mostly on grass. Happy to say I landed every single one. Also did a lot of handstands and tried to clean up my double legs which I still don't think I can even call double legs. At some point I managed 2 consecutive freestanding handstand pushups.

Sunday morning I got to go to my first jam as a completely last minute thing. Rounded up some friends and headed up to Rutgers for a sick day of training with some awesome people from all over Jersey. I worked on a lot of things. Most notably I did my first (small) kong to precisions, some flips and twists outside, vaults, and a lot of really big wall runs. I might do a small write up tomorrow or something but I'm lazy now. The coolest part in my opinion was when we found a wall that was easily 15 or so feet and a few guys were on top of it reaching down with their arms and guys on the ground would try to wall run up and catch someone's hand to get pulled up to the top. Maybe 5-6 people pulled it off out of a few more than 10 who tried. It was a really cool challenge for everyone and I did make it up once. Oh, I also managed a back lever for I'd estimate 10 seconds. Definitely the longest one I ever did, and on a tree branch of all things.

Today (Monday) I went to the beach with some friends. We buried a yoga ball in the sand and used it to practice flips. I got some front 180's and just did front and sides. It was hard to get a good jump off the ball and I missed a few times which ended up being pretty funny. It was a good day but you better believe the soreness from that and the jam is kicking my ass now. Oh, and the sunburn.

So it's been a sick weekend. I met a lot of cool people and when I transfer to Rowan next semester I'll be able to join the parkour club there. I should also get to train with the guys at Rutgers on Sundays from now on. I'm absurdly excited as I haven't had anyone to train with in such a long time.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2014, 08:52:30 PM »
Ok so Tuesday I don't think I did anything. Just studied for a test I think.

Wednesday..my god. Jesse Danger and some guys from New York came down to train and met us at a local beach. We went out and trained on the jetty which turns out to be an awesome training spot as long as you're careful. Really had to use my imagination and overcome a lot of fear. I tried to work on strides mostly and I did some running precisions and some really small cat leaps.
Then we moved to the edge of the beach and were doing flips off a wall that's about 5 feet high into sand. I was also practicing my kongs, lazy, and speed vaults over it, trying to gather step and be as light on my feet as possible. I almost landed a front full outside and did land a front 3/4. Lot of sides and side halves. Bailed kinda hard on a front pike but rolled out.
Next we went to some spot that had a bunch of low brick walls. I mostly practiced standing and running precisions and a level kong to precision. We got kicked out kind of fast which sucked because it was an amazing area to train.
After that we went to some place with a ton of huge hollow concrete cylinders just piled on tops of each other. It was weird but fun. Mostly did strides up there and at the ground level I set up a run of a few really small strides to a running precision to a cylinder that I'd flip off the edge of. There was also a really good wall, probably about 11 feet up that we practiced wall runs on. At some point we ended up in this huge barn full of salt (I have no idea) and I did a back lever on one of the beams. After working on some other things around that area Jesse and his crew had to leave so we called it a day.
It was the best day of training I've ever had.

Thursday (today) I went to open gym. I was planning on just having a fun, relaxed day but ended up training my ass off and loving it.

On rings I did one back lever (biceps are sore as hell now) and a ton of muscle ups. At best I got I think 3 consecutive and I could do 2 consistently. Also worked support holds and did one good RTO dip.
On the balance beams I did a lot of precisions and worked on italian jobs. I'm so much more confident with my precisions. I also attempted to stride the beams but it didn't happen. At best I did a 1 footed step down haha. I did a couple runs of vaults through the beams just for fun too.
On floor I worked on handstands as well as front and side flips without punching at all. I can land sides consistently when I'm not tired without punching, but fronts I can barely land at all. I also tried learning russian fronts (arms swing up behind the back). I could nail them if I punched but gather stepping wasn't working out. Need better technique.
Off the gymnastics vault I practiced tunnel, front, and side flips. Practiced twisting the front and sides. Got a side 3/4 and some front halves. I also did some kong ups into front flips and things like that.
On bars I just did inward flyaways. Landed one well but kept messing up my swing and landing on my butt on others.
On tramp I did 1 or 2 ugly back fulls and some front fulls. Landed actually I think all of the front fulls.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2014, 05:05:05 PM »
Another awesome day of training at the jetty.

I pulled off a sketchy kong that I had been eyeing up on Wednesday. Drilled it a bunch of times to make sure I had it. Did a lot of kong plants until I got myself to finally go over.
Worked almost exclusively on strides, jumps, and landing. I even managed to string a few lines together. My running precisions are way worse than my standing broad jumps which is pretty embarrassing. I'm starting to land and take off lighter but it's still a long way off. Focusing on absorbing impact a lot lately but it's damn hard.
After a few hours of that I worked on vaults and box jumps over/onto a roughly chest height wall. Also flipped off it. Couldn't get front fulls, but front side and 180s of both were good. Also did another slightly sketchy kong from a railing down onto that wall, but I also pulled that off on Wednesday.
Got some really, really good handstands today. I finally figure out how to tilt my pelvis properly so my handstands feel so much straighter. I need to film them and see what they actually look like, but my friend said it looked totally straight and I had an easy 15 second hold without walking.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 20, 2014, 07:05:01 AM »
Saturday, April 19th

Went to the park with some friends and we were just having fun and enjoying the weather. We played soccer for a bit and I brought my rings and set them up on a pull up bar.
A few RTO support holds
3x3 strict ring muscle ups. Also a few sets of 2
4x2-3 RTO dips
More handstand practice. I feel like handstands suddenly clicked for me and when I kick up right I hold them for 10+ seconds pretty consistently.
Played some volleyball
Did some side flips on flat ground
Tried to Russian front flip on flat but I don't think I landed any. Landed one or two really low gather step fronts. These really need work.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 23, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »
Didn't do anything on Sunday since it was Easter

Monday, April 21st

RTO support holds
~8 second back lever
3x3 strict ring muscle ups
3x3 RTO dips
3x3 tuck front lever rows
7, 7, 4 pull ups
Ton of handstand practice
Some side flips
Shoulder dislocates and compression work.
Some pistols on a ledge so my other leg could drop low. That's the only way I can do them currently.

Tuesday, April 22nd.

Trained at the jetty and a park.
Drilled a lot of front and side flips and went for some front fulls but didn't get any.
On the same wall practiced kong, speed, and lazy as well as kong to precisions. Also konged down to the wall lengthwise from a rail above it.
On the jetty I finally got some cat leaps (terrifying) and worked on some strides and precisions.
Got two really scary down kongs. One was easy but scary, the other was hard and scary.
Some more handstand practice and a few muscle ups at the park.
Worked on some jumps and kongs. Got a kind of hard kong precision but bashed my arches. Also bailed pretty bad into a picnic table on a kong. I'm realizing I have 0 confidence in my split step. Too much gym training..Pissed me off so I started throwing flips off the table. Did some easy underbars too.
Went to another park
Jumped a gap that I didn't think I was nearly capable of. Also managed to stride to precision it which really surprised me because I suck at strides. Really just did those for a while, threw a few flat ground side flips, some handstands, and by then it was getting dark so we called it a night.

Note: my wrist flexor (probably flexor carpi ulnaris) started to really hurt. Probably too much false grip on the rings.

Wednesday, April 23rd
Shoulder dislocates and wrist stretches
4 muscle ups with little kip followed by 4 or 5 pull ups
3x7 pull ups
9, 9, 10 dips
2x3 tuck front lever rows
2x5 pseudo planche pushups
Deadlift 135x6

Note: cut my workout short due to really bad wrist pain. I'm praying it's not tendonitis again but it feels pretty similar. I could even grip 225 to deadlift it which I can usually handle with ease. I'm worried but I'll just take it easy and do other things for the rest of the week.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 28, 2014, 05:00:27 AM »
Just to jog my memory Thursday I had work, Friday I went to open gym, then Saturday and Sunday work again..

Friday April whatever

Got my first strict bar muscle ups. I did at best 2 consecutively. Shocked myself by not only getting it, but start from a fully locked out dead hang.
Work on my gather step sides. I started getting much more height and landing better. Can still only land front flips when I punch =\
Lot of precisions on the balance beams.

My wrist was hurting so I focused on those few things most of the night.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2014, 08:13:34 AM »
I have no idea what I did all week. It probably wasn't anything.

Thursday, May 1st. Open gym after 2 hours of volleyball and some flips outside onto sand.

Got much better at strict bar muscle ups. I can do them consistently on a grippy bar now. Keeping a hollow body and piking slightly is really important for these.
Practiced side flips with as little run up as possible. I was taking a single step into a gather step side. Takes a lot of energy and you have to work hard to accelerate.
Also practiced large dive kongs. Really focused on getting my hips up and clearing the obstacles cleanly. Used a pretty big run up for these. Then I switched it up and did the same thing as sides where I'd only take 3 total steps (one stride + split step take off) into the kong and see how far I could get.
Worked on a breakdancing 1990. I got pretty close and can do half of one somewhat consistently.
I ended up getting a really bad headache so I took about a half hour break during the night.
Did a few RTO support holds

Also want to comment that my overhead mobility is finally improving a lot. Full ROM pull ups are getting way easier and I can even do muscle ups from a dead hang or really close to it. Shoulder dislocates are a godsend.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 08, 2014, 10:38:15 AM »
So yeah it's not that I haven't been training, I just keep telling myself I'll update this after the next time I train as a mega update..but that's not really gonna happen. Weather, wrist pain, and school have kept me pretty occupied so it's nothing worth mentioning anyway. Semester ends on Tuesday and from there life gets fun.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 10, 2014, 06:19:37 AM »
Thursday, May 8th. Open gym

Strict bar muscle up practice. Best I got was 3 consecutive, sometimes only got 2. I always get so close on my 4th rep but just can't quite get it.
Gather step fronts. I'm finally landing fronts without punching at all. Gather step still needs a lot of work.
3 step side flips. So 1 stride into the gather step for the flip. It's a fun challenge.
I actually started spam attempting standing sides on the spring board. Did not land any but was kind of close.
Some laches and front flyaways. Revisited the front hip circle as well.
Worked on kong exit distance with only a 3 step run up.
The usual front, side, twists, and tunnel flips.
Some cat leaps and tic tack to cats.

Friday, May 9th. Back to open gym

More muscle up work. Once again got 3 strict bar muscle ups, 4th is just out of reach.
Gather step front and sides
Handstands and handstand walks. Made it across the floor twice.
Ring muscle ups
More cat leaps, foot was too sweaty for tic tacks.
The usual flips
Climbed the rope and got 6 pull ups on the ceiling.
Laches again.
I don't remember what else. It was packed with little kids so training was tough.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 20, 2014, 07:38:34 PM »
Alright I've gotten ridiculously lazy about updating this. It's not that I haven't trained for 12 days, I just barely spend any time on the computer anymore. I've been playing volleyball and flipping into sand a lot lately. I can gather step front off a hard surface into sand at this point even if it's a little ugly. Getting way more consistent landing flat ground flips. My wrist has still been bothering me.

Monday, May 19th. Work out at the park. It was more of a sporadic, fun session of trying different things with a friend. I did do sets of things but with no real pattern to it. I'll try to keep this write up coherent.
Strict bar muscle ups. I managed 1 or 2 on the thin, metal bar (way harder than the ones at gymnastics which I can grip way better). I tried a lot over the course of the work out after those first 2. Mostly failed but did pull some off.
My friend had a weight vest with about 20 pounds in it. I tried (and failed) ring muscle ups with that. As expected wasn't even close.
2 sets of 3 weighted RTO dips. I had to let them come back to neutral on the last rep of each.
A few sets of around 3 unweighted RTO dips.
2 sets of 3 strict ring muscle ups.
A few sets of tuck front lever rows
On a whim I tried a tuck front lever to muscle up on rings and got it 1st try.
Also got a forward roll to support on the bar outside.
Headstand pushup negatives. Couldn't push back up if I went full ROM
Some handstand walks, side flips, and even a weighted handstand.
Directly after that I played volleyball and did more flips.

Tuesday, May 20th
Walked 5 miles with a friend, played volleyball, did a few flips and some handstands/handstand walks.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 22, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »
Wednesday, May 21st. Another workout at the park. I was really sore (still am) but tried not to let it slow me down.

A few attempts at strict bar muscle ups. Got a couple clean, had to shift weight around on some, failed most.
2 sets of 3 strict ring muscle ups. Wrist started killing me so I stopped at 2 sets.
4 sets of 4 RTO dips. First set was weighted with 20 pounds, the other 3 unweighted.
4, 5, 6 weighted pull ups with 20 pounds
A few sets of one handed push ups alternating with tuck front lever pull ups
RTO support hold to failure
Some human flags. Got completely horizontal and held some for 5ish seconds.
Handstand practice and some normal balance training.
A few side flips on pavement and gather step fronts into sand. A few kongs and precisions also.
Finished it off with a few games of beach volleyball.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 29, 2014, 05:09:44 AM »
I don't know why but I can't remember what I did on Friday. I think I did some RTO holds and dips at home. Honestly I have no idea. Saturday I had a pull up contest at work and got 10, failed with my forehead above the bar on the 11th.

Monday, May 26th. Long f#cking day

Went to the beach for a few hours. Swam in the water for an hour and spent some time flipping off a ball buried in the sand with some friends. Loads of fun, highly recommend trying that if you get the chance.
After that went to the park-
Tried strict bar muscle ups more. Again only got a few, but one of them I got clean as hell. Ton of strict ring muscle ups, and I also got a somewhat wide grip muscle up on the bar with kip.
RTO dips 4x3. The struggle was f#cking real with these.
Some handstands and flags.
At this point it felt like I pulled my lat so I pretty much called it quits. Really screwed up my workout.

Wednesday, May 28th.

2 RTO support holds, shoulder dislocates, tiny bit of compression work (really need to focus on this flexibility thing).
RTO dips 4x3. I added regular ring dips to the sets since I was struggling badly. So I'd do 3 RTO dips and then continue with 2-3 more with rings neutral each set.
Pull ups 3x7. I kept my legs in front of me a little lower than L pull ups for the first 2 sets, last one left them behind me. I was inside so couldn't do hollow body.
RTO push ups 3x4.
Tuck FL rows 3x4
Static tuck FL hold about 5s (ouch)

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 29, 2014, 08:35:29 PM »
Thursday May 29th. One of those days that turned out to be both inspiring and depressing somehow.

Went to train at the jetty. I worked for a few hours on gather step kongs, some reverse and lazy vaults, flips off height, and some other movements. Also spent a ton of time working cat leaps, precisions, downward kongs, and strides at the jetty. This is definitely the scariest f#cking place to train but it's got some really awesome potential. I found I was able to do a lot of things I thought I'd be too scared to go for today, especially the cat leaps. These are over roughly 10 foot drops onto uneven, slippery, wet cement so it's a do it or maybe die type of thing. It took me weeks to even try any and even still I'll only do really small, easy jumps.

Next we stopped by the park. Did some strides, a few biggish jumps, and I did a line or two with some picnic tables and trees. Also some flips into sand.

Lastly wen to open gym. The struggle was f#cking real tonight. I had to go 100% to land anything. Couldn't handstand, could barely flip, strained my lat so I couldn't do bars or rings..Tough night. I worked mostly on my split step and I started trying a progression I thought of for corks but I'm not even f#cking close.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 30, 2014, 06:46:40 AM »
f#cking

Just one of those days, eh?
Hopefully the next time will fall more on the inspiration side.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 30, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »
Hah, yeah man. I just get so mad because I keep getting these nagging overuse injuries that slow me down so much. It feels like every time I'm learning a skill I really want to have like strict bar muscle ups, back lever, level flag, and so on I push too hard and get tendonitis or strain a muscle. All I want to do is train >:(.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 30, 2014, 04:39:18 PM »
Oh look, your timeline again :P

Yeah, that sucks big time. It's like the injury gods have it out for you.
I'll be starting up weight training next week, getting a it scared of overuse injuries with all the stuff I'll be doing with my body this summer.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 30, 2014, 04:52:01 PM »
I need to print that out and hang it in front of the mirror so I read it every day. Still cracks me up, though.

To be fair it's kind of my fault because I'll push it more than I should. Like when I work out on Thursday when that should be a rest day so I end up doing 3 work outs in a row. That's a huge red flag, but try getting up to a 10 second back lever and not doing it at every possible opportunity =p. Part of it is that I'm convinced I'm weak so when I pull off something I consider hard I think I just got lucky and can't stop doing it to prove to myself that I actually can do it. Same with muscle ups, flags, flips, handstands, etc. Not to mention sporadic sleep, ignoring the obvious signs of injury, and honestly my weight probably has a bit to do with it. It's the kind of thing that's totally my fault, and in hindsight it's blatantly obvious that it would happen, but day to day I just want to put in the work because it's the one thing I really like doing and I'm anxious about losing progress. 

Sorry for the rant. Gotta let it out sometimes.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 30, 2014, 08:40:59 PM »
This si your place to rant anyways.

Honestly I'm the opposite the majority of time I'm training, I get worried about having a possible injury here or there so I won't train that part that session.