Author Topic: Dick's training log  (Read 37971 times)

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Dick's training log
« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »
Damn it, my bad. I wrote out a whole response to what you said but I think I forgot to submit it or something.

In short, awesome that you have a coach. I'm quite jealous. The bench squats I was doing are right about at parallel, but the way I did last time is about 3-4 inches lower probably. Seems negligible but god it was hard. Also I have to do box squats. There's very little room and no rack so if I fail a set without something beneath my I'm dropping the weights on something/someone. I'm just trying to do the best I can.

Wednesday, March 5th

Barely got any sleep, felt dreadful.

Really lazy warm up. Shoulder dislocates, some wrist stretches.
Pullups 3x7 focusing on power. Speed is improving but still slow.
Dips 3x10
Rows 3x10
Pseudo planche pushups 3x5
Deadlift 135x10, 225x5, 315x5. Back hurt so I didn't do more sets. First set was easy, though.
Squat. I just went into the overhead press and did something like 3x10 with 135 to work on form and depth. Plus I was struggling not to vomit as I'm a little sick, hadn't eaten, and needed sleep.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2014, 07:37:36 PM »
Damn it, my bad. I wrote out a whole response to what you said but I think I forgot to submit it or something.

In short, awesome that you have a coach. I'm quite jealous. The bench squats I was doing are right about at parallel, but the way I did last time is about 3-4 inches lower probably. Seems negligible but god it was hard. Also I have to do box squats. There's very little room and no rack so if I fail a set without something beneath my I'm dropping the weights on something/someone. I'm just trying to do the best I can.
Happens to me all the time, can't count how many posts I lost on my phone.
That really sucks, we are fortunate because we have a rack and at least two other people in the group to help and spot. I might take some pictures of our weight room, it is very nice but if we break something we are SOL. The school won't buy replacements for ten years at the very least, but it will probably be more like a generation.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2014, 03:31:30 AM »
Annoys the hell out of me because I always come back way later and realize I never answered.

Know what's funny? My high school gym had a good squat rack that nobody ever touched, we just used it for pull ups. That was when I still thought squats were bad for you. Now that all I want to do is squat my college gym has a smith machine and bench press. Haha school replacing equipment? Try a century.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 10, 2014, 08:34:40 PM »
Alright, some shitty news. This has happened once or twice before but very spread out and I thought improving my mobility and posture had taken care of it, but on Sunday at work I was literally just bending down to get something and felt a really sharp pain in my back. Dead center, lower back. It hurt like hell and I couldn't move without a lot of pain for maybe 20 seconds. It settled a bit but still hurt a lot the rest of the day. I was a little disturbed but as long as I kept my back straight it didn't hurt much, and the pain wasn't bad when I woke up and went away by mid day so I decided to go to the gym today.

Pull ups. 9, 8, 7. Getting some chest to bar finally and they're a little less ugly.
Dips 3x10. Last dip was so close to failure. Shaking the whole way up, the concentric part took at least 8 seconds.
Rows 3x10
Benched for the first time ever. did 135x5 and then 155 2x4 or 5. The weight felt easy but I had trouble balancing the bar and was shaking comically. Really, you would have laughed at my 200 pound self struggling to stabilize 155 pounds.
Forgot to mention I was at a legitimate gym today with an actual squat rack, so you better believe I did some ass to grass squats.
Kept it at 135, did about 3 sets of 6 getting real low to the point where 135 was a struggle at the bottom..But f#ck me, on the last set I was about halfway up on my 4th rep with form that looked good and felt great, and the pain in my lower back hit me like a brick. I got the weight up and racked it but god it was painful and walking was hard for about 20 minutes. I can move now but it still hurts a lot to round my back and I'm considering going to a doctor because I think it's my spine not muscles.

I really, really don't need this shit right now. I'm so, so angry.

Offline Shu Mookerjee

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »
Hey Dick,

Dude! It's going around.  I also messed up my lower back somehow. And have an inflamed left hip flaring up (thanks to "Shawn T's Insanity")

You have to give those muscles and ligaments time to heal. But you also need to keep working them so they don't get too stiff.  My buddy Jherich from our local parkour club gave me a workout with a ton of stretches and yoga stuff to help keep rehabilitate those areas.

Check out my journal. I'm including links to those exercises.

Hope you're feeling better, brother.

Shu

P.S. This is not to say you should ignore your doctor's advice.  Just saying there's still stuff you can do in the meantime.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2014, 06:55:53 AM »
Thanks Shu! I'll be sure to check it out. I feel fine already I'm just worried about it happening again or getting more serious.

Anyway..Thursday, March 13th

Open gym. Met a few guys who apparently have been doing parkour for a while not too far from me and I didn't even realize it. I'll hopefully get to train with them which would be great because I'm severely lacking motivation to train.

I kinda just messed around. Worked on my split step and diving kongs and some combos on the bars and rings. So far I've got muscle up to forward roll into inverted hang to back lever on rings. On bar I have pullover to forward hip circle, cast onto the bar and dropping down onto the higher bar, turning around and doing an inward flyaway.
I tried tunnel flips but couldn't get them
Worked on my twists but I'm stuck at 180's for some mental reason. I stop myself at a half turn.

Edit: also tried to learn a kip on rings but didn't get it, the false grip started giving me elbow problems.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2014, 06:12:04 AM »
Saturday the 15th I played volleyball and drilled my flips outside into sand. Fronts, sides, and twisting with both of them. I seemed to be getting back to my crappy technique side flips which was frustrating.

Monday the 17th I worked out at home. Should mention that I got a pair of rings.

Thorough warm up of ring support holds, shoulder dislocates, wrist stretches, wall slides, and handstands against wall.
3x7 pull ups
3x5ish ring dips. I'm having trouble keeping my forearms off the straps on the way up. Rings might be too narrow.
3x3 tuck front lever rows
3 sets of varying amounts of pseudo planche pushups on the rings. Lot of technique breakdown here
2 or 3 planche leans on the rings really focusing on protracting and depressing the shoulders and keeping the core tight.
Box pistols squats on the stairs. Real difficulty with these.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I was really sick and throwing up all day. I feel decent now. Kinda want to work out, but probably shouldn't.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 21, 2014, 06:28:01 AM »
No longer sick, but my elbows are hurting a little.

Thursday, March 20th open gym

Worked on twisting and landed a few front fulls again. I also landed one off a block onto a mat.
Worked on swinging technique on bars
Some inward flyaways and sort of learned a kip swing, but I really just muscle it.
Several back levers on rings. I get around 3 seconds in
Worked flags for the first time in a while. I got a good 8ish second flag at almost horizontal which is way better than I thought I was at.
Got 3 strict muscle ups on rings
Worked my support holds, getting better at turning the rings out more and more.
Lot of handstands

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2014, 07:46:15 AM »
Friday I worked some handstands, muscle ups on bar, and pull overs. Also played a little volleyball and practiced flips.

Offline Tony

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 22, 2014, 09:37:16 AM »
Hey Dick, you probably don't remember me but we chatted on our progress logs a while back. It's really cool to see how long you've kept at it, I only wish I had done the same. I'm getting back into it now and hopefully we can share progress some times (although you're lightyears ahead of me now :P)

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 22, 2014, 07:45:53 PM »
Hey man! I remember haha it's good to see you back. Don't worry about not keeping at it, it happens to everyone. I've taken off up to 2 years but the awesome thing is you can always come back and be better than you were, and definitely better than you are now. You've got all the time in the world to so never feel like you can't just jump back into things. I look forward to seeing your progress!

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 24, 2014, 07:49:50 AM »
On Saturday I did some skills training at my grandma's house. I spent a while vaulting her back fence into the woods. Worked on split step for kongs and got more comfortable with speed and lazy vaults on both sides. I also practiced my handstands, planche leans, and human flags. I mentioned a while ago that this was a side goal, but I got a lefty flag ;D. I can now hold it on both sides for a few seconds.

Monday, March 24th

Wall slides
Wrist mobility
2 stomach to wall handstands. Started coming off the wall briefly on the second.
Dead hang
Shoulder dislocates
Plank and arch holds
Full squat
Pull ups 3x7
Ring dips 3x5ish. I'm trying to get the form better and pushing for RTO which is life changingly difficult.
Tuck front lever rows 3x3. Such a burn in my lats
Ring pseudo planche pushups 3x5, really focusing on depression of the shoulders.
Another tuck front lever into german hang for good measure.

I need to get back to deadlifting and squatting, but I have that same lower back pain again. There was no drastic onset of pain this time, but it's the same feeling as the aftermath.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 26, 2014, 01:05:29 PM »
So on Monday night my cat escaped and I went out to find him. Found him wandering around my back yard and he was acting a little weird and avoiding me. I eventually managed to get close enough to pick him up and he panicked and bit the hell out of my hand. He got clean through the top of my right thumb nail and bit my left pointer finger so hard it's swollen to the point where I can barely move it. So that was somewhat of an obstacle to my training today. Also I'm a little sick, didn't sleep much, and my back still isn't feeling good. Want to hear any more excuses? Because I'll gladly think of some :P.

Wednesday, March 26th

Pulls ups 7, 7, 8
Dips 3x10 I need to weight these but just haven't gotten around to it.
Tuck front lever rows 3, 3, 2 but I held the static for a while between reps since I was on a bar and had limited range of motion.
Pseudo planche pushups. 8, 5, 5. Moved my hands closer after the first set.
Deadlift 135x10, 225 3x8-10. Since my back has been having problems I decided to really keep it light.
Squat 135 3x10. Same thing as deadlift, don't want to be crippled.

Skipped lab, it's nap time.

Offline The Barefoot Panther

• Patas
  • what is this, 'personal text'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 26, 2014, 04:32:21 PM »
So did you find out what was wrong with your cat?
SYN TAI E EPI TAI!
WITH IT OR ON IT!

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 26, 2014, 04:43:43 PM »
He was feral and not doing well outside so we rescued him and he ended up being a ridiculously friendly cat once inside so we kept him. My dad built a little area and cat door for him to go outside but he ran out the actual door on my mom and was completely loose. I guess just having so much to explore had him acting wild again so when I picked him up he was probably terrified and just trying to get loose. I got him inside but he did some pretty bad damage. Really should have worn gloves. But he's fine now, friendly as ever like nothing ever happened.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2014, 06:08:08 AM »
Thursday, March 27th

Open gym. A ton of new people were there today so I spent a lot more time coaching than training.

Worked a lot of back levers since everybody was trying to get them. I got a solid probably 5+ second back lever.
Also worked on flags. Oddly I could barely hold them this time.
Side flips on flat. I started landing them better again. Also kind of worked double legs, or what I think was double legs.
Front 180's on flat. Kind of landed 1 or 2 but eh.
I got SO close to a forward roll to support on rings.
Didn't really do much else that I can think of aside from throwing a few moves around but didn't actually train them.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »
Friday, March 28th. I'm probably going to open gym later so I'll add that on.

Warm up of 3x30+ second RTO support holds, 3 sets of shoulder dislocates, 3 sets of 30 second full squats, and 1 plank and arch hold.
5 kipping bar muscle ups
Deadlift 135x10, 225x5, 315x4, 365x1, couldn't get 385 up. So I got 50 pounds more than I've ever touched up while sore. Pretty happy with that.
Squat 135 2-3x5 ass to grass, 205 2x3 not quite ATG but passed parallel. Then one more set with 135 as low as possible.
Ton of freestanding handstand practice. I got several 10 second completely stationary holds.

I was with 2 friends and at a crowded gym today so I had a severe case of f#ckarounditis and thus the upper body work was quite lacking. I'm either going to work out on my rings now or save it for tonight at open gym, not sure.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »
Did make it to open gym tonight

RTO support holds 2 sets
More handstand practice. Some were really good.
A lot of sideflip practice on flat ground. Really trying to get that gather step instead of punching.
Worked on double legs but I'm basically just doing a piked side flip.
Some ring muscle ups and 1 bar muscle up.
Precisions, lazy vaults, and italian jobs on the beams.
Dive kongs, double kongs, and focused on split step. We put a mat down so the spring board wouldn't help any.
I like high speed vaults now, but not long or low ones.

Feel like it's worth mentioning that I'm having a lot of fear problems lately. I'm scared of everything, even things like side flips that I've had down for so long.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 31, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »
Monday, March 31st

3 sets of shoulder dislocates, wall slides, and 30 second RTO support holds
45 second plank, 30 second arch, 30 second hollow body progression
A few full squats that I didn't time
Pull ups 8, 8, 7. Did 2 negatives because f#ck missing a rep.
RTO dips. I did 3x3 +2 per set with rings neutral.
3x3 tuck front lever rows.
5s tuck front lever hold.
Didn't feel satisfied with my RTO dips, so I did another 2 sets of 3
Few second tuck planche.

I tried to go to the gym after my night class to deadlift but the door was locked  >:( There goes all my gainz.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 03, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »
Wednesday, April 2nd.

Shoulder dislocates, wrist stretching
4 kipping muscle ups, one strict.
2 roughly 8-10 second back levers, but maybe less because time feels a lot longer while you're up there.
Pull ups 8, 8, 7
Dips 3x10
Tuck front lever pull ups 3x4 on bar (less ROM)
Pseudo planche puhsups 8, 3, 3. Obviously increased lean for the last 2 sets
Deadlift 135x10, 225x5, 325 3x3
Squat 135x8, 185 3x4
Some overhead squats for mobility
Some knee raises
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 05:09:28 AM by Dick Stapleton »