Author Topic: Dick's training log  (Read 37912 times)

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Dick's training log
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »
Friday, November 22nd

4x15s tucked floor l sit
Handstand practice
German hang
Third world squat
Some stretching and mobility work

Saturday, November 23rd

Some flips on my cousin's trampoline. Mostly backs, couldn't get close to front 180's. I was with my little cousin most of the time though so I could only flip when he got distracted and went off the trampoline.

Sunday, November 24th

Third world squat
Wrist mobility work
Handstand practice against wall
Some tuck planche presses. Got up on all but one, only managed to hold 1 handstand though
Planche leans and more wrist mobility
More wall handstands

Elbow still feels a little weird, gonna try back levers tomorrow and back off if necessary.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2013, 12:46:06 PM »
Why don't I update this daily? I need to get with it.

Monday I think I did handstands. My elbow hurt so I didn't do a workout as far as I can remember. I probably did some l sits though. Definitely worked on full squat and the lunge stretch.

Tuesday was a brutal day at the mma club. We ran a mile, shrimped down the mats 6 times, front shrimped down the mats 4 times, and did a full dynamic stretching routine. Then we drilled guard passes and mount escapes hard, some punch and leg kick defense, and then Tj must have been feeling sadistic and made up an interesting circuit..It was a 1 minute round of hitting thai pads/defending and countering strikes with high pressure and a lot of kicks (which I SUCK at). As soon as the minute ended one of the smaller but most skilled grapplers stepped in and you immediately had to roll with him at full intensity and try to pull off a submission. At the end of that minute it was another round of striking with my brother and as soon as that minute ended the biggest guy in the club rushed you and you had to spend the last minute grappling with him. 4 minutes felt like an hour. I got the better of both grappling matches but didn't pull off a submission. The striking was sloppy because my kicks and defense are pretty bad.

Wednesday I skipped class and I think I just chilled. Did some superficial handstands and mobility.

Thursday I ate.

Friday I went to open gym.

Throughout the night I accumulated at least 5 minutes of ring support holds with rings slightly turned out. I got some holds well over 30 seconds which I'm happy about.
Started off with the 3 basic flips and then started working on front 180's. I couldn't get the motion right so I started putting spin on side flips and found it to be much, much easier. At first I was only get quarter turns but later in the night I got at least 5 clean side 180's on the trampoline. Also got some clean front 180's but it's rare.
Learned a wall spin on a very close to vertical mat. Closest I've ever come ;D.
I was absolutely nailing inward flyaways
Did a good amount of handstands and tuck planche presses, plus some l sits and an l sit to handstand but on parrallettes.
Side flipped over a block for the first time.

And then last night (Saturday) I was doing a lot of handstands and hurt my wrist, although that could have been from hitting the punching bag. I also found out I can only hold a flag for like 2 seconds and like 60 degrees above horizontal. Not thrilled about that.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2013, 06:52:03 PM »
Monday and Tuesday I did nothing but some really quick stretching.

Wednesday, December 4th

Started the day off with some lower body stretches and bodyweight squats. Kept it light as I planned to train later. Also did shoulder mobility drills and some elbow massage.
Went to the park and messed around. Did some tuck back levers which felt ok but avoided muscle ups.
Swung as well as I could but I was slipping like crazy, nearly went flying off the bar after 3 swings almost every time.
Some precisions and side flips off height and on flat. Landed a side flip clean on grass which I don't think I've actually done before.
L sits and a press handstand that I managed to hold and then walk after. Progress!
Tried 2 inward flyaways. Landed on my feet and fell back on one and landed low on my feet and had to back roll on the second. I blame the slippery bar as I can almost always nail these inside now.
Did some flags. I got way closer to horizontal but my hold times were still very low. But I haven't actually trained those in god knows how long so I guess I can't really complain.
Some random vaults over garbage cans and rails. Nothing serious.
Randomly did some pullovers

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2013, 07:40:29 AM »
Thursday, December 5th

Mma club was mostly cardio. We ran 8 laps on the indoor track which is a little under a mile
3 minutes of burpees, 30 seconds on 30 off
Kicking drills.
I did 3 or 4 press handstands on my own.
I stopped after the drills because for some reason when I bent down my lower back felt like it pinched and started hurting a lot. I couldn't bend down for about 10 minutes and sitting through my next class was brutal but I did some light mobility and it started to feel better so against my better judgement I went to open gym that night..

And somehow it went completely fine!

I started off with some basic flips, handstands, and vaults over a block.
Got wall spins down on a very slightly angled mat. I want to get them vertical soon but I'm scared
I did a lot of work on the rings. About 3 individual muscle ups and several support holds as long as I could. Then we were doing sets of a few seconds of support hold, 5 ring dips as low as possible, and 3 extremely partial iron crosses (lowering down as much as possible and pulling back up. Insanely hard). Amazing how much harder ring dips are.
We worked on tuck planches, planche leans with feet elevated, and back levers/german hangs
I'm 90% sure I got a muscle up on a bar with 0 kip and after that I was only able to do pullups to about nipple height but also with no kip.
Did some inward flyaways but didn't actually land any.
On tramp I got side 180's pretty much completely down. I landed a ton of them and although my spins aren't beautiful they're so much better than I ever thought I'd be able to do. I'm actually really proud for once.
I also got some front 180's. My technique in general is much better on these now but my timing and height suck.
Landed a back 90 on a whim but the more I tried these the more out of control I got. I was flying off the trampoline so I stopped haha.
I actually got a few back to front 180's also but not very clean.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2013, 09:58:04 PM »
Friday, December 6th

I was a little sore but I decided to go to open gym again anyway. I'm addicted. I don't feel like saying everything I did but
Handstands, basic flips, flags, muscle ups on rings, support holds, tuck back lever on rings, double kongs and long singles.
More noteworthy things:
I side flipped over the two blocks that I usually double kong. Way bigger than anything I've even tried before, felt awesome.
Very sloppily speed vaulted the same two blocks. My exit was awful, though.
Was having no trouble using the split step and getting great kong distance/easy doubles.
Landed a tunnel flip completely clean and a bunch with small safety taps.
Landed several side 270's! 3/4 of a spin and a week ago I thought spinning was something I'd never actually be doing.
I almost feel hesitant to put this because I barely believe it but I landed a back full on tramp..form wasn't very good but literally a back full despite all my fear and trouble spinning. I'll post videos of all my spinning tomorrow. For the first time in a while I actually feel proud of myself and I literally just want to go back.
Oh, and I walked across the entire gym floor in a handstand. Been trying that on and off for the entire time I've been going so that's a thing.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2013, 08:28:25 AM »
Well finals suck and my elbows are hurting again so I did nothing most of the week. Well, I did some stretching a few nights before bed and that's made small improvements already.

Friday, December 13th

Open gym. I had a much more focused session than usual.
A few ring support holds
Some balance beam precisions
Worked hard on arabians and back fulls. Landed some arabians on flat and tried but did not land back fulls on flat.
Also did both of those  flips off height. Landed some of both but the back fulls are hideously bad and much less back than full.
I landed a few side fulls on the bouncier trampoline and then spent a long time on the less bouncy trampoline and couldn't get close.
Got some actually clean front 180's
Worked a tiny bit on long dive kongs.
Oh, and I tried to learn an arabian devil drop. I have no idea if that has a name or not, but imagine a devil drop where you turn around and front flip away. I almost landed one but really I was rotating slow as hell and slammed down several times.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 25, 2013, 09:02:06 PM »
Lazy update:

Still just going to open gym lately. Back fulls got cleaner on tramp last time I was there. Landed both side and front fulls a few times each but not at all consistently. Been giving arabians and backs on flat ground some work. Revisited tunnel flips and nailed them consistently off height but couldn't get a kong to tunnel flip. Started trying front 180's off a bar but haven't come very close yet. Scary.

Dive kongs, at least inside, have gotten way better. Same with double kongs both flat, downward, and upward. Split step is improving.

Ring support holds are getting easier and seem to help my elbows which I'm letting heal again and raging over. I'm starting to work shoulder mobility more seriously and will work wrists when my right one is better.

Been sporadically working on full squat form and lower body mobility. Seeing improvements but it's still bad.

To be honest a combination of laziness, elbow pain, and business have stopped me from doing anything but flips. I don't even do parkour anymore, not even a little bit. I'm having a lot of fun with what I'm doing and I've learned things I never dreamed of trying, but I want to get outside again. I want to stop making excuses.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
Still been going to open gym. I can do side and front fulls on tramp here and there, 270's and 180's are getting easier. Off tramp I can front 180 if it's off a drop and side 90 because I don't commit to twisting.

Got back flips off small height finally. Same with arabian but it's sketchy.
Elbows feeling good, did 2 consecutive ring muscle ups. Inward flyaways are still solid and I'm working on throwing in a 180.

Got a foam roller and started doing that. Feels nice.

Also tried weighted squats for the first time yesterday. Awful form but I expected it to be worse. Glutes and hammies are real sore today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p6n1wT2Br0 If you want to see how squats aren't supposed to look.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2014, 01:11:36 PM »
I've been working frequently on the full squat and it's getting a lot easier to hold the position. I don't feel like falling back the entire time and I can start bringing my chest up a little bit.

Wrist is feeling better so I did a few handstands last night. Still not 100% but eh.

Did an actual workout today

L sit 2x12s
3 muscle ups with as little kip as possible
3x5 pullups with full range of motion (hard as hell for me, my shoulders are awful apparently)
3x8 dips
3x8 bodyweight rows
Lot of deadlifting. 5 sets of 165#x5-6 and then 3 sets of 225x4
Overhead squat with just the 45# bar to try to work on some scapular and hip mobility. Did maybe 3 or 4 sets, lot of reps.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2014, 10:03:06 AM »
Tuesday I did some foam rolling and hip stretches

Wednesday went to the gym. Was really sore and planned on only doing 1-2 sets of everything but that didn't happen.

4 muscle ups
4x5 pullups
3x8 dips
3x6 BW rows feet elevated
3x2 One arm pushups
Deadlift 135x2x5, 225x2x4, 275 2x3-2
1 set of overhead squats with just the bar.
Also did some shoulder dislocates and lower body stretching before deadlifts.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »
Against my better judgement I went to open gym again tonight after doing about 20 minutes of foam rolling earlier in the day. I brought a ton of people and a lot of my energy was focused on either showing them things or watching what they were working on so I didn't get to make any legitimate progress on anything.

Did a lot of laches again but the distance has become too easy for me I barely have to try and it's hard to adjust the bars.
Lot of inward flyaways and I was landing them without much trouble. I actually landed one from a bar that was so low my feet were scraping the ground.
Did some basic ring work. I can muscle up on rings almost easily now. Even if my pullup sucks I've gotten able to dip from so low that I can still get up.
Handstands are way worse than they were before my elbows acted up but I can hold a short one without walking so it's something.
Can still kind of tuck planche press to handstand which is encouraging
Only got 1 or 2 side and front fulls each on trampoline but did get a pretty clean back full also

The rest of the time was kind of just working with other people. Really fun night just not much progress.

Edit: I also did some full squat training in the morning. It's gotten easy to hold the bottom position but I have to fight really hard to maintain even crappy posture down there. If I don't worry about form I can sit there for a while but I try to keep upright enough that it's a struggle not to fall back.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:51:48 AM by Dick Stapleton »

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Friday the 10th

Did some full squats for that mobility. Ate a lot of shitty food and there's a reason I'm 200 pounds. All of my bodyweight exercises count as weighted now  :P

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2014, 11:51:02 PM »
I want me some more Dick.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2014, 07:56:04 AM »
I want me some more Dick.
Wasn't expecting to read that in a training log.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2014, 11:04:30 AM »
Wasn't expecting to read that in a training log.

I try and get as much Dick as I can, regardless of where it comes from.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2014, 11:24:49 AM »

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2014, 05:48:02 AM »
All week I've just been doing mobility work, mostly in the form of full squats throughout the day. I got pretty sick so I've been skipping the gym unfortunately but last night I couldn't resist going to open gym.

Learned a few things on the uneven bars. I haven't been mentioning it but I'd been trying to learn a forward roll on the bar but unable to stay on top of it and last night I got a pointer that had me doing it immediately so that was cool. I started using it to make a basic bar routine.
Some work on rings. I managed 3 consecutive muscle ups, got ridiculously close to a full back lever, and did some dips, inverted hangs, and support holds.
Precisions on the balance beam.
Went back to doing a lot of side flips on flat ground and over people and things.
Climbed the rope for the first time in a while.
And some more of the usual trampoline work and all that.

Oh, and I finally landed a side 180 off a drop!

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2014, 08:23:31 AM »
So yesterday I was planning on going to the gym but I walked outside and realized it was way too beautiful to not train instead so I called up a friend and headed to the park.

Started off with palm spins, kongs, lazy vaults, and side flips over the picnic tables.
I found a tree branch that was particularly sturdy so I started using it to swing from one picnic table to another at maybe a 45 degree angle. Once I got that down I incorporated level kongs, strides, and side flips. I was able to get all the runs without any stutter steps or awkward shuffling which is rare for me.
I then took some time to work on my much neglected split step takeoff (too much gym training makes you complacent) and my kong distance sucks. It was on woodchips that were a tiny bit wet and at first I was having trouble even dive konging the picnic tables. It got better with practice but it's still crappy.
After that I decided to try a tunnel flip outside for the first time. I put a picnic table next to the sandy volleyball courts and tried maybe 6 or 7. I almost landed one, went too far over on another, and didn't get the rest.
Practiced flips and twists off the same picnic table. I got some front 180's and maybe 1 side 180 but a lot of side 90's.
Worked on speed vaults since I've really neglected them in my training. My left handed speed vault is pretty good for how little I've trained it, right handed is eh. I also did some safety vaults which I've admittedly never even tried before and they're actually fun. Might have to use those more.
Did some handstands, got about a 10 second hold. Also, as a general rule my handstand training is stationary now. At first I was counting my hold times walking but recently I started only counting what I can hold without moving since it's much harder.
Finished off the day with some balance walking along the edge of the volleyball court. I only got a few minutes in before my friend wanted to leave.

I wish I had also gotten in a workout but I was with friends. Great day regardless.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »
Tuesday, January 21st

Spent the day relaxing. I'm very sore and my quads and right above my knees on the inside are incredibly sore so I spent 30 minutes foam rolling before sleep. Also did some full squats.

Wednesday, January 22nd.

Snow kept me in the house today and I'm super bored so I've just been doing some foam rolling and mobility and playing around with front and back levers and german hangs. Did some shoulder dislocations, foam rolling, full squats, and I'm still doing whatever.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 24, 2014, 07:02:02 AM »
Thursday, January 23rd.

Open gym.
Warmed up with RTO support holds and handstands.
Some vaults and palm spins
Handstand walks
Got my first full back lever on rings. Need to record it so I can see how my form is. Probably awful.
Lot of bar work. I've learned pullovers, forward hip circles, have a decent cast, swing is improving, and laches aren't bad.
The usual flips and twists.

Not the most conventional progress but I'm learning more and more how to spot people for various techniques which is cool. Being a coach must be awesome.