Author Topic: Dick's training log  (Read 37979 times)

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
Re: Dick's training log
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »
Looked it up, maybe this: Inward sideflip
A sideflip from height in which the direction of travel is opposite to the direction of rotation. For example, rotating over the right shoulder whilst travelling to the left. This is much more awkward than a normal standing sideflip as it's natural to lean into the direction of the spin to get the rotation, so a powerful jump in the opposite direction is required to avoid clipping the object.
http://www.streetstunts.net/wiki/Sideflip
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2013, 11:46:09 AM »
Friday, July 19th

Ran a mile with my sister. It was shockingly easy (I went at her pace so it was about 12 minutes) but my knee didn't feel great and I barely elevated my heart rate. My legs got tired, though, which just proves to me how weak my legs are.

Went to open gym and spent most of the time working on the aforementioned flip, which I finally discovered is called a tunnel flip. I landed it a grand total of 3 times and didn't land it about 50 times =p. It's hand's down the weirdest motion I've ever attempted but once I can figure that out it actually isn't that hard to land. This is one of my better attempts at it <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc09lUKJwq8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc09lUKJwq8</a>.
I also landed my side flips on flat ground without any mats for the first time so I'm pretty confident in my ability to take them to a harder surface outside. I may have landed a shin side with good form, but nobody was filming so I'm not sure about the form. I fixed up my wall front technique a little bit and worked more on flips from height and keeping my side flip rotation clean.
Also did some precisions and strides plus a few plyos over a pretty big gap (for me).
Did a few wall spins with a mat against the wall for the first time in a while, they need work.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2013, 08:48:30 AM »
Monday, July 22nd.

Practiced tunnel flips into the pool. I pulled a few off from the diving board but wasn't even close from the ground. I'm very inconsistent and bad at them still.
Also practiced side and front flips. My standing sides were much better than usual and felt easy but I didn't have the nerve to take them to the grass. I did land a few running sides onto grass but I messed up a lot, partially because I was slipping and partially out of fear/not jumping.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2013, 07:32:08 PM »
Tuesday and Wednesday, July 23rd-24th

More flips into the pool. Worked mostly on standing sides, high front flips with different variations of tuck (superman, arms wide, legs straight, etc.) and a few (bad) tunnel flips. I'm also trying to learn a pivot to side flip from a stand still. I landed it once or twice at the beach but very, very low. It's an interesting and slightly easier version of the standing side. I also did my first side off a waist height cement object outside onto the beach.

Thursday, July 25th

I met up with some friends at a small skate park where a friend of ours works and started messing around with the pivot to side flip in one of the half pipes, first time trying side flips on anything harder than grass. I didn't land them but it helped my fear so I started messing around with sliding down the half pipe and side flipping but it was messy. Then I tried palm spins and a few combinations of wall runs and vaults up the skate ramps. After that I got myself to try running side and front flips on hard surfaces. I landed every side flip and a few fronts, but most of the fronts I landed poorly. I experimented with grabbing my shins and grabbing the back of my thighs on the fronts depending on how high I jumped and did pull off each variation. Next I started doing precisions to a rail with two walls that were slightly higher than it. I managed one time to jump from the rail to the further wall but it was very close to my max precision. I also tried some precision to fronts off the rail, and landed some precisions to side flips off the wall. I pretty much killed my fear of side flipping on any flat surface today and that feels like a major accomplishment.

Offline Matija Ambrož

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2013, 06:07:29 AM »
wow. Great journal!

I have a swimming pool at home a proper one from concrete and not a wall mart one (relevant information) and I'm looking forward to start fliping into it. any suggestions? I'm 6'3 and when i was about 5'5 it was natural to do a frontiflip (was always scared of backflips due to all the youtube backflip face plant videos) but now since I've grown up fast I feel a little sketchy and cannot seem to overcome my fear from fliping into a pool. any suggestions?

KEEP ON GREAT WORK! respect

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2013, 06:25:54 AM »
Thanks! I'm trying to add a little more structure to my training again but recently it's been mostly flips since I can practice them anywhere and I've got injured elbows.

Do you have a diving board with the pool? If so, that helps make sure you get enough height to flip. With a pool I'd prefer to start with front flips just because they're less scary than back flips and less technical than side flips and there's almost no chance of hurting yourself. With your height it's going to be important that you jump high and tuck very tight. Really make sure your knees are as close to your chest as possible.

As for overcoming fear, just break it down into a few easy things that you can get comfortable with until you put it all together. First just jump into the pool going as high as you can. Then maybe do a cannon ball so you can get used to tucking tight in a ball. Then try leaning over the edge of the pool and just hopping up a bit and rotating lightly onto your back into the water, like messing up the front flip on purpose. That will let you get comfortable with the rotation while also showing you that messing up really isn't that bad. Once all of these things feel comfortable you should be able to pull off a front flip. I don't have much time to write out more advice, but if you have any more questions just ask them in your journal and I'll gladly respond when I'm back home after this weekend. Good luck and thanks again for the support!

Offline Matija Ambrož

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2013, 06:30:43 AM »
Really great answer. I don't have a diving board but the edge is about a foot high and my vertical leap is quite good since I'm an ex-basketball player. It technique and mental issues that make my problem. Thanks for your help. With anymore question I'll gladly address you :D have a nice weekend

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »
I hope it helps! Let me know when you try some flips  :)

Monday, July 29th

Went to the beach with some friends and after some lame attempts at flipping into the water (I'll use sinking into the sand as an excuse) we took a walk to that cement object I mentioned on the 24th and did a lot of flips off that. It took a few tries but I was able to start sticking almost all of my front flips off thigh-waist height including straight legs, normal tuck, and spread arm. Side flips were easy off the height and I landed all of those. Later I managed to land a few running sides flat on the sand where it was compacted a little from being wet.
Headed home, took a nap, then went to open gym where I did mostly the same things I've been working on lately. I managed to land one tunnel flip and come kind of close to some others, finally did side and front flips off height onto a hard surface, landed a kong to shin front, spent some time working on italian jobs, precisions and strides, and worked on some agility by chaining together a few things. I also briefly revisited standing sides and fronts but didn't do very well.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2013, 06:39:28 AM »
Went to the beach every day this week except for Friday and did flips whenever I was there.

Friday, August 2nd.

It was a struggle but I managed to convince myself to flip off my back porch. It's only 3 steps up but I found something about it terrifying. The wood was slippery from the rain and I was scared so I didn't get an abundance of height but it was enough for me to land pretty well on most attempts.
Landed running sides on flat grass
Later practiced flipping off a waist height picnic table and off something like a 6 inch step up.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2013, 07:14:26 AM »
I've been extremely busy and really lazy about posting here. I've done some kind of moving/training every day, but I don't remember everything I've done so I'll just sum up what I remember.

Saturday the 3rd I did more flips off my back porch and improved a little bit. Still needs work but it's another mental block that I've chipped away at and that counts as much as anything. I also landed a side flip on grass cleanly but I had to put my hand down a lot of times. I still have bad technique on some of my sides but when I get it right I can land them easily.

Sunday the 4th I set up my makeshift rail and spent a while working on precisions and did what I could to work strides. I'm very out of practice but I did stick most of the landings, albeit poorly. I also did much better flips off the porch that day.

Monday the 5th I went to open gym. Worked mostly on fixing my side flips so that I can land them better. I also made a conscious effort to stop punching, even for front flips and my knees are thanking me. I relearned wall spins (on a slight angle, can't get over the mental block of going vertical yet) with some success, and blew it trying wall fronts. I did well with precisions and strides on the balance beams and threw a few bad tunnel flips.

Tuesday the 6th I went to the beach and my friend told me he saw someone back flip off a slide, so I said I'd front flip off it. It was about my head height and I over rotated (is anyone surprised) and faceplanted. Unfortunately I tried to catch myself with my hands and my arm got under me and I injured my shoulder a little. It felt like it popped out of the socket but if it did it must have popped right back in.

Wednesday the 7th I went swimming as a sort of rehab for my shoulder and that helped a lot although it was still killing me. Also did some flips and worked on my split step.

I have a video of my flip practice and my strides and precisions, I'll upload both of them and post them in here.

Offline Matija Ambrož

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »
I totally feel you. Same thing with me. I found a mate to train with and been training with him. He is in parkour cca. 4 years now and he thought me how to kong etc. and i learned palm spin (horizontally) im glad to se progress and look forward to post more but i just dont find the motivation to post on APK everyday since motivation is not really great here frankly. i mean you are quite inspiring and Nick has always nice comments and other members but 99% of them are inactive so.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2013, 06:15:12 PM »
I totally feel you. Same thing with me. I found a mate to train with and been training with him. He is in parkour cca. 4 years now and he thought me how to kong etc. and i learned palm spin (horizontally) im glad to se progress and look forward to post more but i just dont find the motivation to post on APK everyday since motivation is not really great here frankly. i mean you are quite inspiring and Nick has always nice comments and other members but 99% of them are inactive so.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Hopefully things will pick up this fall. I really haven't found a more active parkour forum, it's like they're dying out :'(
I'm going to try my best to carry the torch on this forum, with what you said in mind.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2013, 08:04:41 AM »
I try to post as much as possible but this week has been extraordinarily busy so I just hadn't felt like going over everything. APK has been improving again, at least on this forum. For a while it was just me and Nick posting but now there's you and a few others :). I guess the truth is that in person communities prevail over online ones, and a lot of people prefer to just train and not have a progress log. I just like to look back and see what I've been able to improve on because up until I started this log I was pretty much just messing around and never learning anything new.

That being said, these are the videos of my flip and precision training:

Flips- Some notable improvement here, although with those landings I don't know how I still have knees. I realized what's been screwing up my side flips and it's that I don't pivot before the flip so I take off facing front and it makes my rotation a little weird. And to reiterate, my porch was wet so I was being very careful to not slip and die which is part of why I got very little height.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnJgvOZpI6U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnJgvOZpI6U</a>

Precisions/strides. Any advice on especially improving my strides would be appreciated. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke6LkoXK4lM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke6LkoXK4lM</a>

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »
Friday, August 9th

Visited my friend at the skate park where he works again and did some flips and precisions. I landed my first side flip on pavement in vibrams (next step barefoot) and managed to pull off a plyo that I really wanted to try last time but didn't. Progression! I took a few short videos, might start collecting clips to make an actual video in the near future since I haven't done that in a while.

Saturday, August 10th

Flips into the pool. I think I finally figured out tunnel flips because I was rotating much, much faster and landing feet first or even over rotating on almost every attempt. If I can do them well next time I go to open gym I'm going to take it outside. Very scary but a huge step up in technique.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »
Another damn busy week and I didn't really end up training. With friends heading back to school soon I've been trying to see everyone as much as possible and consequently haven't been practicing much at all, I've even skipped open gym.

Some notes from the last week, though:

I can comfortably side flip on flat ground on everything from mats to grass to pavement. I find it hardest to land cleanly on grass but I can pull it off.
I've lost a bit of progress on front flips but can still land them flat into sand
My elbows haven't been hurting for a while and I've been very carefully resting them. Today my right elbow randomly hurts, though, which is disheartening.
I can sometimes get tunnel flips with excellent rotation into a pool, but I'm having trouble pinpointing the difference between my good and bad ones, but I've notice that shoulders/chest play a large role.
I also ran another mile with my sister yesterday. Once again way too slow to get me any decent aerobic training, I'm going to have to run on my own if I want to get much out of it.

Almost forgot to mention, this morning I was feeling disconnected from movement (I know this sounds weird) so I walked outside and side flipped off my porch a few times. It felt sloppy but I didn't hesitate on any attempt so at least the mental barrier is really gone. I need a few good days of training, though, I feel like I've forgotten everything I know even though I haven't at all.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »
Still been incredibly busy, haven't been home for nearly long enough to post about my training.

Saturday, August 17th

Went to a local park with 2 friends for some training. I started with top outs onto a bar followed by a lazy vault over a rail and other combinations of just trying to move around. I tried some rolls and remembered how poor my technique is (admittedly I never actually train rolls).
Although I really wanted to focus more on movement I ended up doing a lot of flips. At first I had to break the mental barrier by doing some flat but started doing them off height. I tried to pull off going from sitting on a bench, jumping up and front flipping off. I couldn't get it well at all and barely landed one.
Also did sides off the bench. On one attempt my foot was a little wet and slipped as I went up so I once again found myself upside down without any rotation. I tried to roll but ended up kinda flopping down on my side. I didn't get hurt at all though.
Practiced precisions onto a slide and worked up to strides into and out of the precision as well as using it as a plyo. I did most of them onto the edge of a slide but also did some onto a rail.
Tried to pull off an italian job on a bench but was unsuccessful. Surprisingly quite scared of those.

Monday I did some flips into sand and played volleyball.
Tuesday I played more volleyball and also did flips into sand.

Wednesday, August 21st.

Went to another local park with an old friend for some actual training.
Started off landing side flips flat on pavement in my vibrams. I need to clean them up but I can land on my feet 99% of the time.
Did some sides and fronts running up a slight ramp at the skate park.
A few rail precisions but I messed some up and hit with the middle of my foot.
Went to work on precisions on wider wooden blocks and ended up also working strides and plyos in various combinations. I struggle with long strides and tend to not jump up enough but I did much better than I expected to. I did miss a step at one point and bail pretty hard. Scraped my shoulder, knee, and wrist a little but I'm fine.
Got over the fear of side flipping over a bench.

Things to improve:
I move too far forward on side flips because I drop my chest too much. Looks weird and can be dangerous
I need to jump up more when doing strides and make sure to land on the balls of my feet for precisions (hasn't been a problem for strides).
I need to remember to take strides one step at a time and never think a move ahead.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2013, 08:41:25 AM »
Friday, August 23rd

Practiced rail precisions and pulled off a jump that I wasn't sure I'd be able to make.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2013, 09:36:38 AM »
Practiced rail precisions and pulled off a jump that I wasn't sure I'd be able to make.
Risky business
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »
I worked up to it by having a friend hold his hand at the same level and distance and I was able to clear his hand so it was just a mental challenge to actually go for it. It was also only like a foot and a half off the ground so messing up wouldn't have been bad

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »
That's different then, but still... Taking any form of risk may be pushing for further boundaries, and breaking mental barriers; remember you're pushing two things at once, the afformentioned and injury. You know full well that you should be sure of yourself before attempting anything.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.