Author Topic: Dick's training log  (Read 37844 times)

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Dick's training log
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2013, 08:07:20 PM »
Friday June 8th

Open gym, had a fantastic time tonight.

Although my elbows hurt now I did several inward flyaways with ease. I can take them out of the foam pit when I man up. Also tried and bailed out on a sideflip version of it.
Spent a lot of time working on side flips trying not to do that weird front thing I do. I managed to get some actual sides and some of the mixed flips but I took both to flat ground and landed it a good amount as long as I jumped.
Worked on italian jobs and cleaned them up a little
Did some long diving kongs that scared me a lot but I pulled it off in only 2 tries.
Tried front flips off height for the first time. I was scared senseless and landed with my feet under me then fell back mostly.
Tried to work on my split step takeoff. I still end up punching for challenging vaults rather than using it, trying to fix that.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2013, 10:41:56 PM »
Good improvement! But remember, this applies to nearly any physical activity including parkour: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/984114_10200727910514271_1108324979_n.jpg Warning: the image in the link contains some explicit language I hope that is ok...
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2013, 05:24:46 AM »
Hahahaha that's just about perfect. I just like to think swinging on a bar doesn't count as a session because it never hurts until the next day and I have too much fun with it. I really need to listen to that graph, though.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »
Glad you liked it :D just listen to your body.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2013, 03:39:34 AM »
Tuesday June 11

In the spirit of not messing up my elbows for life I spent a good amount of time yesterday practicing side flips. I started by doing them into a pool until I was comfortable with the rotation, then landed a few (and fell a lot) into grass on flat ground. Later on I was doing them off a hard surface into sand also on flat ground and landed a few well but also fell many, many times. All in all I attempted at least 75 sideflips throughout the entire day. If nothing else, I'm a little less scared of them and a little better at knowing where I am in the air when going sideways.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »
Friday, June 14

My elbows still hurt from last Friday and consequently I've shifted any training I do to not use them in any way. Both the pain I've felt all week and a certain graph (still love it) have convinced me to rest completely until I think I'm absolutely healed, and then rest more after that.

So at open gym tonight I did flips, flips, and more flips. I spent a lot of time and energy trying to learn inward wall front flips and I managed to land a few. I found that the hardest part about them was I kept seeing the wall and my brain thought it was the floor so I reacted by kicking out and then fell on my back. When I was able to block that reflex I managed to land some. If I get my runup right I can land them pretty often but I mess that up a lot.

Aside from fronts I worked almost exclusively on sideflips. I've mostly fixed my tendency to do a front flip and am getting less and less scared. I tried really hard to even attempt an inward sideflip off both a wall and angled block, but couldn't get the courage to even try either one. I want to learn those incredibly badly (the only reason I even bothered learning wall fronts, as cool as they are). Hopefully I can work up to it with time.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2013, 05:08:58 AM »
So I haven't been posting here because I haven't done very much actual training. I've been practicing side flips whenever I'm near a pool or sand and I'm getting the hang of them. I actually landed a few standing side flips last night after teaching myself them earlier in the day. It's not very consistent, though, and I didn't take it to a harder surface than mats.
On Tuesday the 18th it was my birthday so I went to this indoor trampoline place called rebounderz. Although they had too many rules for my taste (no flips off walls? What?) it ended up being a lot of fun and I learned how to combine front and side flips for the first time. I also ate it very hard one time because I couldn't find the ground on a front flip =p.

Friday, June 21st
I spent about an hour and a half practicing flips into the pool with my brother. That's where I learned standing sides and also got less scared of flipping from height by using the diving board. That also helped me realize that I have very little air awareness when it comes to front flips. Later on we went to open gym and I learned to side flip off a box which I never had the nerve to even try before. I also landed one or two fronts off the box, but those are much harder for me. I landed some standing sides and a few wall fronts although I messed up most of those. I also almost got my first kip up but I didn't quite stick it and had to fall back. I didn't get to keep trying because I strained my neck a bit.

As far as my elbows go, I had to lift something for my grandparents last Sunday and I've been in a lot of pain since then. I've been making a point to not use my arms for anything, even standing up, but they're taking a long time to heal.

Here's a short video of my first attempts at wall fronts. I wish more people made videos of them first learning things rather than only showing off what they've mastered. There's so much to be learned from looking at mistakes.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWH2QhtJ1AQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWH2QhtJ1AQ</a>

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2013, 03:56:15 PM »
Tuesday, June 25th

Practiced jumps and strides in my backyard. I spent about a half hour playing around with everything from precision jumps to strides onto my makeshift rail. I built a lot of confidence in my strides (even though they aren't very good because my single leg strength is laughable) and had a great time.

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2013, 08:03:11 AM »
So I haven't been posting here because I haven't done very much actual training. I've been practicing side flips whenever I'm near a pool or sand and I'm getting the hang of them. I actually landed a few standing side flips last night after teaching myself them earlier in the day. It's not very consistent, though, and I didn't take it to a harder surface than mats.
On Tuesday the 18th it was my birthday so I went to this indoor trampoline place called rebounderz. Although they had too many rules for my taste (no flips off walls? What?) it ended up being a lot of fun and I learned how to combine front and side flips for the first time. I also ate it very hard one time because I couldn't find the ground on a front flip =p.

Friday, June 21st
I spent about an hour and a half practicing flips into the pool with my brother. That's where I learned standing sides and also got less scared of flipping from height by using the diving board. That also helped me realize that I have very little air awareness when it comes to front flips. Later on we went to open gym and I learned to side flip off a box which I never had the nerve to even try before. I also landed one or two fronts off the box, but those are much harder for me. I landed some standing sides and a few wall fronts although I messed up most of those. I also almost got my first kip up but I didn't quite stick it and had to fall back. I didn't get to keep trying because I strained my neck a bit.

As far as my elbows go, I had to lift something for my grandparents last Sunday and I've been in a lot of pain since then. I've been making a point to not use my arms for anything, even standing up, but they're taking a long time to heal.

Here's a short video of my first attempts at wall fronts. I wish more people made videos of them first learning things rather than only showing off what they've mastered. There's so much to be learned from looking at mistakes.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWH2QhtJ1AQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWH2QhtJ1AQ</a>

Great form, but it sounds like a slight studder step problem . I noticed you slow up, but you start landing on your heels went you run up. That is bad. Try getting to the point like you're going to go for a wall run, then inward flip. think about it as you're stepping up the wall rather slowing your speed to get the placement right.
WIP

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2013, 09:39:32 AM »
Good points, I didn't actually notice that I was running on my heels. I think the reason that happens is because I have a bad tendency to lean back as I go towards the wall. It probably has something to do with trying to keep distance from the wall, but it kills my rotation. And the stutter step is mostly because of the mat. Every time I messed up my run up I landed on my back, but on the runs where I got my feet placed correctly I could land them fairly easily.

Thanks for the input!

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2013, 01:44:21 PM »
Unfortunate update:

After my training session on Tuesday my legs were bothering me a lot and I also had a weird, large rash under my arm. I thought I just overdid it and decided to wait until I felt better to train again. The pain just got worse, though, to the point where my left leg is in a lot of pain constantly, even when I'm not moving and I also had fevers for the last 3 nights, so I went to the hospital today and got diagnosed with Lyme disease. It's not the end of the world because we caught it early but I have to take antibiotics for a month and coincidentally those antibiotics will cause me to have severely negative reactions to the sun, so I'm mostly stuck indoors for the next 4 weeks. I'm probably going to be taking the month completely off as a result of this. Hopefully my joints will feel better and maybe my elbows will be closer to recovered with a few weeks of total rest.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »
That sucks, man. Get well soon.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2013, 07:07:25 AM »
Thanks man! I've been on antibiotics since Sunday and the symptoms are gone so far. It just seems to have made my elbows worse because they're hurting again.

Friday, July 6th

I made it to open gym and managed to accomplish a few new things.
I did side flips off a gymnastics vault which is something like chest height. I was scared of this forever but now it seems like nothing.
Did side flips off the highest balance beam. Almost killed myself a few times but I got over the fear and could land them.
I also spent time working on two different lines of movement. The first was an italian job on a balance beam after which I would jump onto the beam, precision to the middle one, and side flip off of it. While practicing that I undershot the precision once and in an attempt to not fall back I turned around and did a stride off the lower one. Doing so killed my fear of strides on the beams and so I picked my next line which was a precision to the middle beam from the farthest one followed by a stride on the lower beam to a little platform that I would either side or front flip off. Being able to put together a few movements (especially strides) made it the most fun I've had in a long time.

We also set up Carl's new camera on a tripod and went through some basic vaults and flips off blocks as a sort of test for the camera. That was fun and hopefully he'll get the video up soon.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2013, 08:45:10 AM »
Looking forward to it :)

Did you get your elbows looked at as well? It's been since April 20th(ish) since the have started bothering you.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2013, 09:26:06 AM »
I really should but I'm 95% sure it's tendonitis and going to physical therapy for that would cost a good amount of money. I'm trying to just rest completely and that was going well until I got Lyme and suddenly everything started hurting again. If it doesn't get better pretty soon I'm going to have to get it taken care of, though. Not being able to go in the sun and not being able to do a workout is killing me. Haha I miss front lever training, I loved that.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2013, 09:52:42 AM »
Friday, July 12th.

Open gym got pretty wild last night. Not a lot of people showed up again so we had free reign over the gym.
Started off the night with some basic fronts and sides on the trampoline. I was landing fronts a lot better than I usually do.
Went over to the mats and worked on 3 step side flips plus a few standing sides and standing fronts. My standing fronts aren't as good as they used to be, I need to practice them again.
I took a few minutes to do fronts and sides off the gymnastics vault again, getting more comfortable flipping from height and much less afraid.
I spent a while on the balance beams working on my precisions, strides, and a little bit of flipping. This video is from last week but it sums up what I was doing on the balance beams:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2mOgASudpk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2mOgASudpk</a>

A little later on Carl set up his camera again and we made a video similar to last week of everyone just flipping off a block. A few minutes in two of the younger guys did shin fronts which I'd only ever seen once before, so with a little convincing I decided to try them too. It took me a while but I landed some. I also tried shin sides but I didn't really even come close, I was messing up the rotation and probably didn't have enough height anyway. My new goal is to land one of those. Whenever Carl get the video up I'll post it on here.
I ended the night trying some wall fronts without the mat on the ground. I almost landed a few but I slowed my run up on one attempt and as a result got no rotation and landed hard on my back, I'm feeling that one today =p. I want to take those outside, though. I've got a tree in mind that would be perfect.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2013, 01:24:42 PM »
Here are the two videos from Friday night. They're a lot longer than I thought and there's a bit of down time, but I'll post them anyway if anyone is interested.

This one has some cool stuff and a little more variety plus our first attempts at shin fronts and shin sides later on in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOg2tGhm1QM

This one is a lot of me trying to learn shin sides but not being able to, with everybody else doing their thing as well. I'm determined to get those shin sides.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGZDATPPT58

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »
Wednesday, July 17th

Worked on side flips and front flips in a couple different variations. Standing of both into a pool, off a height, and with a run on flat ground. I may be ready to take side flips to a harder surface soon but it's intimidating. I also tried doing stalled front flips, diving superman fronts, and a straight leg tucked front. The last thing I worked on was the flip where you run forward and do a side flip. I'm really not sure what it's called, but I did find out that it's really difficult and awkward to attempt. I'm going to try to work on that more when I can to see if I can figure it out.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »
Running? That's how I learned it. Try putting a foam block about waist height or higher, then run and do a sideways roll onto it. Just add height from there. Since I'm on grass and not concrete I can afford to do the punch and not the split step, which is  just a tiny bit different.
Also, found a tutorial for you  :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Qr4aAHx0E
I could make a short video of my sideflip with the focus of the camera on my take off, if you want.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »
I think I should have explained that better haha, I can already do those side flips although I haven't taken them to anything harder than grass yet. What I was trying to do is a flip where you run forward and while still facing and moving forward do a side flip. I've seen it in two or three videos including one recently so I'm going through every video I've watched and I'll post it if I find it.
So far the closest I can find is at 2:07 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIuzLd-c6so but that's not quite it and definitely not off flat ground.