Author Topic: Dick's training log  (Read 37978 times)

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
Re: Dick's training log
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2013, 07:13:45 PM »
Haha I kept meaning to take a video and that made me decide to do it. I like having videos because it lets me see that I actually did improve and it also gives me a way to check my own technique and see what needs work. Also, it's a little more credible when I have a video. And that's awesome man! You're at about 8 feet too? 10 feet better watch out, we're coming for it.
I like that, that's a good way of training. I don't actually practice jumping very often because I mess my knee up, but when I do I tend to just go for max and then try to beat that. Precisions are a different story.
Remember this? Just another foot further ;D
Keep it up and do your best to avoid (more) injury.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »
So close! I need to start deadlifting again because I doubt simple practice will get me another foot any time soon. Are you still working on your max broad jump too?

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2013, 06:18:45 PM »
Yes, the summer will give me a lot more time to train and actually plan out what I am going to do. Not to long ago I found out my precisions weren't doing to well because the board was sliding away. I plan on doing long jumps and running precisions too. My sore throat persisted so I am resting more just to be safe and to make finals less stressful. Around mid July I should be able to do a summer weights class, I am trying to figure out if I can come to them as I please, if so then my summer just got a lot better. The last thing I want is that I have to go to the class every week day and I will end up overtraining because of training at home too.
 :'( Tuesday is the last team jam for a while, the summer ones will be spaced out.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 06:45:25 AM »
Summer=parkour season, for sure. And I've got a decently bad cold, too. I can't say that's hurting my training any, though.

If the board is sliding out you're gonna need a new place to practice or you could try putting some weight like cinder blocks behind it to prevent that.

If you take a weight class you'll probably see ridiculous increases in your performance, assuming you do the right workouts. You know all about rep ranges for strength/hypertrophy and all that, right? And I'd assume you can just show up whenever which would be preferable, overtraining is a bitch.

Why aren't you having team jams over the summer? Wouldn't that be the best time for it?

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 06:50:45 AM »
Monday, May 21st

Spent 10 minutes working on handstands against a wall
Worked up to max deadlift at a friend's house..after however long I've been off deadlifting I blew out my last PR of 235...by 70 pounds. I got 305 up for 2 sets of 2 reps but not all of them were with good form (my "spotter" neglected to tell me when my back rounded). I still have some mobility issues to fix before I can seriously deadlift again and I don't even feel like the 305 counts because it's really the technique that matters.
Did a few tuck front levers, I can barely hold them now and they irritate my elbow slightly.
Some tuck planches. I can hold these pretty well but not for more than a few seconds now.
Volleyball, handstands, and tuck planches to handstands.

And now I'm very, very sore.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2013, 07:33:12 AM »
Tuesday, May 22nd.

Another day of volleyball and handstands. I can hold 5 second handstands pretty consistently and every couple tries I manage to exceed 10 seconds. I'm getting a lot better at correcting myself when I start to lose balance.
Later on I was drilling a precision jump that's very, very close to my absolute max jump. Despite being tired and it being dark I managed to at least make the distance most times and even stick it a few times, but mostly my feet slid.
I also tried a slightly less than vertical wall spin but couldn't get myself to commit.
Couldn't pull off a double kong that I've done several times before.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »
Summer=parkour season, for sure. And I've got a decently bad cold, too. I can't say that's hurting my training any, though.

If the board is sliding out you're gonna need a new place to practice or you could try putting some weight like cinder blocks behind it to prevent that.

If you take a weight class you'll probably see ridiculous increases in your performance, assuming you do the right workouts. You know all about rep ranges for strength/hypertrophy and all that, right? And I'd assume you can just show up whenever which would be preferable, overtraining is a bitch.

Why aren't you having team jams over the summer? Wouldn't that be the best time for it?

Well it turns out I will have barely, if any days that I can go to the weights class because of when I get my license. I will make do with limited weights I have available at my house and bodyweight exercises. Team jams are a little hard to plan in the summer and will be spaced out a lot more. Before it was after school tuesdays and thursdays if we could. I'll have a big update soon in my log. So happy I am done with finals ;D

Offline Tony

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »
Hey man, your precision length is impressive. I'm at about 6 ft because I'm a weakling (125 lbs & age 16) :P

What's your vertical jump?

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2013, 07:40:15 PM »
Well it turns out I will have barely, if any days that I can go to the weights class because of when I get my license. I will make do with limited weights I have available at my house and bodyweight exercises. Team jams are a little hard to plan in the summer and will be spaced out a lot more. Before it was after school tuesdays and thursdays if we could. I'll have a big update soon in my log. So happy I am done with finals ;D
Do you get your license later in the summer? Yeah just make due with what you have. I personally like to train cardio and technique in the summer, although I end up playing more volleyball than anything because that's what my friends are into. Looking forward to that update in your log!

Hey man, your precision length is impressive. I'm at about 6 ft because I'm a weakling (125 lbs & age 16) :P

What's your vertical jump?
Thanks a lot! I've been working hard at it. There's a really big precision I need to put up a video of but I have yet to take it. When I started this log back in February I was at 6 feet as well, you'll be able to improve that a lot. You're young and you've got all the time in the world :). What's your height? At your weight you'll be able to jump faaar as your legs get stronger.

As for my vertical I have no idea. Quite honestly it's not very high at all, which is weird since my broad jump is decent.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2013, 07:44:46 PM »
Wednesday, May 22nd

Got to the park early and started practicing front flips off a hard surface into sand. After over rotating on the first 4 I managed to stick nearly every other attempt. I landed 5 straight cleanly on my feet ;D.
Saw someone in the distance do a vault and watched them like a hawk until I saw another vault, then headed over and found out it was a guy I trained with for a day last year. I gave him some pointers on swinging technique, showed him the big precision I mentioned earlier, did a wall spin at about a 70 degree angle, and did the double kong that I wasn't able to hit last night.
Practiced some handstands but I was so tired I could barely hold them.
A good 4 hours of beach volleyball.

After the last 3 days I'm beyond exhausted. Tomorrow is definitely a rest day.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2013, 01:42:14 PM »
Friday, May 24th

Went to open gym

Started with laches. I messed up a few times which threw me off but I got it together and did them without a problem
Did some front flips. I've gotten ridiculously comfortable with them now. I stick the landing nearly every time and can even do them standing here and there.
Upwards precisions
Some swinging drills
Some handstands
Tried to learn a reverse palm spin but wasn't able to get it. I was able to do italian jobs consistently but they're not clean.
Worked on upwards double kongs again. This time I decided to throw some front flips afterwards, wasn't quite able to pull it off. Video below.
Taught myself an inward flyaway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o53euxVg5Y0) thanks to that video. I got the most painful tear of my life, though, so I wasn't able to take it outside of the foam pit and I only got to try about 4.
Worked on sideflips. Half the time I end up doing a front flip moving sideways and it's really weird. I'll post a video of some of my later attempts.

I didn't actually get very much done. I spent a lot of time teaching a friend how to kong and some random guys how to palm spin. Such a fun night.

On a side note, does anyone know how to post a picture on here?

Here are two videos from last night:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRwGvwp7T3Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRwGvwp7T3Y</a>
There's no way this can be bad for my knees, right?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mum4nk5BPw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mum4nk5BPw</a>
Note how I go at least a little frontwards every time. Usually it's a lot worse but this was after a long time spent trying to correct that.

Offline parkour12321232

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
Precisions:i think they are actually most important as they "upgrade" your body physically and mentally. Physicaly its training your leg power and abs ( not sure but i feel like im doing sit ups sometimes).

Mentally: training your Focus.
2) training you to be relaxed
3)training YOUR FEAR

If your mind us dedicated enough and you can do precisions very well you can do ANY MOVE and NEVER I REPEAT NEVER BAIL ON A MOVE YOU STARTED!!!! If lets say you do what i did and bail on a kong on mid air after an explosive take off you will break a leg ( i got lucky) flips NEVER BAIL ON ANY OF THEM . Vaults u bail your problem youll get injured badly.

Offline Tony

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2013, 01:06:54 PM »
Thanks a lot! I've been working hard at it. There's a really big precision I need to put up a video of but I have yet to take it. When I started this log back in February I was at 6 feet as well, you'll be able to improve that a lot. You're young and you've got all the time in the world :). What's your height? At your weight you'll be able to jump faaar as your legs get stronger.

As for my vertical I have no idea. Quite honestly it's not very high at all, which is weird since my broad jump is decent.

Sorry man, didn't see this until right now. I'm 5' 7 currently. I think my vertical is decent. But with precisions, I just gotta condition for them. Too bad I gave my old skateboard rail away.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2013, 04:54:17 PM »
Precisions:i think they are actually most important as they "upgrade" your body physically and mentally. Physicaly its training your leg power and abs ( not sure but i feel like im doing sit ups sometimes).

Mentally: training your Focus.
2) training you to be relaxed
3)training YOUR FEAR

If your mind us dedicated enough and you can do precisions very well you can do ANY MOVE and NEVER I REPEAT NEVER BAIL ON A MOVE YOU STARTED!!!! If lets say you do what i did and bail on a kong on mid air after an explosive take off you will break a leg ( i got lucky) flips NEVER BAIL ON ANY OF THEM . Vaults u bail your problem youll get injured badly.

...Not that I disagree with most of that, but what? Where did that come from? And no, precisions aren't the key to unlocking every other movement, as wonderful as they are. But what prompted you to post that in my training log?

Sorry man, didn't see this until right now. I'm 5' 7 currently. I think my vertical is decent. But with precisions, I just gotta condition for them. Too bad I gave my old skateboard rail away.

Yeah man precisions are tough to learn but they get a lot easier as you get more used to them. I saw somebody mention once just focusing on balls of the feet, chest over knees and that really fixed the problems I was having with them. Also, the technique for broad jumps is very different than vertical and it's weird to learn at first. You really have to use those glutes

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »
Monday, May 27th

Worked on front flips into sand some more. I can stick them basically every time but I land pretty hard and have to squat for a second before moving again. I'd like to be able to land it and move instantly.
Did a lot of handstands throughout the day, I was consistently holding them for about 5 seconds, sometimes longer.
Did some human flags. I can only hold them for a max of 3 seconds or so now and sometimes I don't even hold it. I'm definitely losing strength :-\

I had to do a lot of lifting over the weekend and it really bothered my elbows. Both of them are hurting now and I talked to my mom about it. I'm considering seeing a doctor or physical therapist but I don't really have the money.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »
Thursday May 30th

Went to the beach and spent at least 2 hours accumulated practicing sideflips into the water. I found where the dropoff was and would run up to it as waves came and try to sideflip over them. Having the waves made me jump higher and I was finally able to do a few real sideflips rather than the weird front flips I usually end up doing. I'm getting more comfortable with them and hopefully can take them to flat ground within a week or two.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2013, 06:54:32 AM »
Friday, May 31st

Open gym

Did the usual stuff. Tried to improve my sideflips but I'm still going forward a lot, not sure how to fix that. I was doing some bar work that felt great but my hand started to rip again so I had to stop. My hanging kongs are getting a lot better and next time at the gym I might take my inward flyaways out of the foam pit as long as my hand holds up long enough for me to get comfortable.
For some reason I couldn't get a kong to front flip despite trying over and over.
My broad jump was just under 9 feet, about 8'11 and I can still do muscle ups on rings with relative ease, so that's a relief.

Offline parkour12321232

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2013, 07:21:41 AM »
well i posted that since u said u had problems with precisions. and well they unlocked movement for me. though on precision i dint focus balls if feet and balance i focus on getting where i need without dying. stupid comment but its true if u focus on take off you will most likely bail in the middle because u thing u did something wrong. but if you focus on just reaching what ur trying to reach in a jump u will make it if there are any mistakes you will feel and know the. when u land
( again this is my opinion)

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:03 AM »
It's not making it that I have trouble with it's landing on the balls of my feet =p. I train barefoot most of the time so it's especially important for me to land right or I'll bruise the hell out of the bottoms of my feet. Once you get the confidence in your jumping ability you'll be able to start focusing on landings more. And no, I agree with you on that. I focus as hard as I can on where I'm about to jump to. But it's really important to focus on landing properly.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2013, 04:09:28 AM »
Wednesday, June 5th

I was at the park playing volleyball and decided to practice a little. One of my main weaknesses is definitely agility, especially when coming out of vaults. I can do most vaults pretty well but it gets sloppy when I have to land and keep running. I spent some time trying to fix that both by focusing on my footing after single vaults and by attempting multiple vaults with only 3 or less steps between them. Drilling that really drove home the point that I'm only good at a few moves, not moving in general, so that's something I'd like to start working on this summer.