Author Topic: Dick's training log  (Read 31675 times)

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Dick's training log
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
Tuesday, April 9th

Alternating between tuck front lever and tuck planche at 1:30 intervals, 4 sets of 10s and 8s respectively
Some volleyball

Wednesday, April 10th

Bent arm tuck planche to handstands. Tried about 5 but didn't manage to balance after any of them.
Spent a few minutes trying precisions but my foot is still bugging me so I stopped.
Tuck front lever 5x15s (roughly). I realized that for most of the time I've been doing these wrong and not even engaging my lats which I'm now fixing
Tuck planche 4x8-10s depending on the set. My wrist still hurts when I do these but stretching has definitely improved this.
Towel tuck front lever pullups 3x4
One handed pushups 3x2 both hands, but only got 1 rep on my 3rd set lefty. I'm getting much better form with these ;D.
Spent time working on hip thrusts and lower ab work. Found out recently that my lower abs are so weak they barely function which is the only reason I started training them specifically.

Also took a video of one set of each tuck hold to check my form and so I have something to compare future progress too. My tuck planche has gotten ridiculously better since I started but still needs a lot of work, same with front lever but with a less drastic increase.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMtcbBnlvHM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMtcbBnlvHM</a>

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2013, 04:48:01 AM »
Friday, April 12th

One of the most fun open gym sessions I've had. Although I bitched out of trying backflips I got a lot of other things done.

Managed 2 muscle ups on rings with very little kip
Pulled off several upwards double kongs
Climbed the rope without using any leg swing at all
Not sure what it's called, but basically hanging on the lower of the uneven bars in a dip position, and, similar to the top out of a climbup, push the hips up and back and do a kong over the bar and catch the higher bar. I always wanted to try that and finally pulled it off.
Lastly, there's this insanely far lache that I always tried to pull off as a joke, but I got so close to it last night that I actually got my hands around the bar once, but I couldn't hold it. My friend has a video so I'll post that when he puts it up.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2013, 07:25:01 AM »
After watching these videos I realize my swinging technique was really bad and I need to kick back higher off the muscle up if I'm gonna make it. Next time I'm determined to pull that off.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvpRiu-Ufs8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvpRiu-Ufs8</a>

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 02:52:18 PM »
Monday, April 15th

2 solid hours of volleyball followed by an outdoor workout at the park :).
4 muscle ups. I'm gonna take a break from these because I'm really killing my elbows. But I've been working with my friend over the past few weeks and today he got his first muscle up! It was awesome to see him finally pull it off.
Tuck front lever (not quite advanced tuck but getting there) 5x6s roughly. Didn't time.
Tuck planche 4x6s
Handstand practice
Swinging on bars practice
Found a thin bar about a foot off the ground and I was sticking precisions really well. Landed mostly on the balls of my feet and managed to not slip at all. Did I mention that I love barefoot training?

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »
Wednesday, April 17th

Spent about 10 minutes working on precisions in my yard. I'm getting better about landing on the ball of my foot and I'm able to stick most landings pretty well.
Did a few random tuck front levers.
I was babysitting my little cousin at my grandma's where I have a tetherball pole set up, so I used that to practice flags with my weak hand (left) down, something I always kinda wanted to do. I can already flag for a max of about 5s with my right hand down, but couldn't even come close to lefty. So I spent some time on it today and though I couldn't hold it for more than a split second I was finally able to get into the right position.

I didn't get an actual workout in yet but I'm going to go do some front lever practice and maybe L sits or planche, depending on how my hand feels.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »
I'm actually too sore to do anything more. Tried a few front levers but they just felt painful so I'm gonna rest for today.
This is my precision training from today. Much better than the last time but still lots of room for improvement.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo24XFhyf64" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo24XFhyf64</a>

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Didn't do an actual workout today but I did a hell of a lot. Started out with 4 straight hours of 2 on 2 beach volleyball (I'm now a lobster) and then went to open gym later for 2 hours. Needless to say, I didn't get very much accomplished at the open gym. I found that my precisions on the balance beams have improved substantially, and got my arms to something like 30 degrees into an iron cross. I spent a lot of time helping a friend and two other guys with kongs, which was awesome because I love teaching people.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2013, 07:22:06 PM »
Saturday, April 20th.

Well it's 4/20 so I got high as hell..rock climbing!
Spent about 2 hours at an indoor rock climbing place. Did mostly v0's and v1's, pulled off one or two v2's. Rock climbing makes it painfully clear how weak my grip strength is.

Also, some bad news. My elbows have been bothering me lately but today it got really bad. I'm thinking about taking a week or two off of upper body work to let them rest and see if the pain goes away.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »
So unfortunately my elbow still isn't better. My left elbow feels a little weird, but almost everything makes my right elbow hurt. Tuck planche and front levers don't hurt as much as other things, but I haven't been doing them anyway just to be sure. The fact that the pain has barely gotten better after more than a week is discouraging so I'll give it a little more time and hopefully get better.

I've also barely been training since last Saturday. I've done a little bit of training with precisions and kongs, which oddly don't hurt, but all in all I've been too discouraged to do any real training. Hopefully I'll get back into the swing of things soon.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
Good Luck healing up!
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time
Twitter

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2013, 05:02:20 AM »
Thanks man! I did some light exercises, mostly pullups planches and front levers then massaged the whole area and it feels pretty good today. I'm gonna keep resting for at least this weekend but I'm hoping it's almost better.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2013, 07:41:54 PM »
Little bit of good news!

After volleyball tonight we got to talking about muscle ups and after my brother did one I decided I had to at least try. I was able to easily do 3 with an extremely minor pain. So minor it might have been more that I was expecting it to hurt than my injury. I'm still gonna rest for a little longer, but damn it felt good to still be able to do them.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2013, 07:59:08 PM »
And now for a little bad news, my elbow hurts again after some practice swinging on the bars tonight.
I messed with some new things on the uneven bars, worked on a particularly challenging upwards precision, upwards double kongs, and lots of nonsense. Also practiced italian jobs.
There was a measuring tape on the ground so I decided to test my max broad jump and I made it 8'6 measuring from my toes where I jumped to heels where I landed. Feels awesome because I haven't been deadlifting for weeks but I can still jump as far.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2013, 08:45:37 PM »
Monday, May 6th

Went to the park to get in some actual parkour training and managed to accomplish several things that I wasn't sure I would be able to do.
Started with kongs on picnic tables and very short double kongs on garbage cans, then worked up to a kong then double kong longways over the table. After that I set up a garbage can about a foot away from the table. The can is maybe a foot higher than the table. Could be a little more or less, not sure. Did an upwards double kong from the table to over the can. These were incredibly sloppy at first but I realized I wasn't doing the split step, started using it and was able to make it much cleaner.
Next I started tic tacs off a tree just for fun, and realized I was getting kind of close to landing on the bench of a nearby table. It took me a few tries but I was able to tic tac to precision consistently after working up the confidence. Although I did slip once and hit my shin. Unfortunately there's a video of just about every attempt except that one.
Did a small, easy kong to precision from a rail to bleachers. I wanted to get up to the second step but bitched out.
Saw a precision that looked way too far for me to land but tried it anyway and to my surprise was able to stick it.

Overall I had a great time training and overcoming what to me were some serious mental and physical challenges. My friend took a lot of videos on her phone that I might post if she sends me them, but I really wasn't concerned about filming today.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »
Makes me sad to see how much time I've wasted not training, but it's better than making my injury worse, I guess.

I've done a couple minutes of handstand practice against a wall the last few days. Kept it very light. Up until yesterday it hurt to extend my arm fully, but today I feel no pain at all. I did some tuck front levers and they felt fine. It's progress, at least.

Probably going to open gym later, I'll update if I do.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »
Friday, May 11

Went to open gym. Worked on laches and swinging in general plus threw in a few muscle ups which I now regret. Worked on a series of 3 precision jumps-from the floor to a balance beam to two others. I tried to make it as smooth as possible with little pause in between jumps. I was able to perform it smoothly one or two times, but generally I needed a slight pause on the first beam but not as much on the second, as the last jump was at least 6 feet and up a few inches. I also worked on upwards double kongs which have started to feel almost too easy as long as I do the split step.

Those were the main things I worked on. I also did some handstands, iron cross progression, front flips, attempted side flips, and other assorted nonsense. Feeling pretty positive, time to go massage my elbow.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I jumped 9 feet from toe to heel last night. Watch out, 10 feet. I'm coming for you.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:29:08 AM by Dick Stapleton »

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2013, 07:11:22 AM »
Spent a lot of time on Sunday working on freestanding handstands. I managed 2 consecutive freestanding pushups but they were sloppy and not very good ROM.
Did a couple tuck front levers, tuck planches, and handstands on Monday. Elbow is still bothering me.
On a side note, I haven't had much of an appetite since my training died down and I've dropped 10 pounds so I'm at 185 now.

Offline Tony

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2013, 01:53:47 PM »
Seems like you'e making a lot of progress bro. Wanted to thank you again for helping me on my journal thread. Your training looks good, better than mine at least. I've just been working on tricking stuff until I get access to open gym (i've been really busy).

Keep us updated with your training, it's always good to see friends going at this stuff too.

Good luck with everything, man.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2013, 03:55:08 AM »
Thanks a lot bro! Haha if you learn anything from my training so far let it be to watch out for overuse injuries. I haven't been able to do actual strength training for nearly a month so I haven't progressed at all in that area.

And I've been following your log too but I haven't had time to comment. Good work for sure! And my training is no better, it was just focused more on strength than skill. As long as you're challenging yourself you're doing something right.

Thanks again :). I appreciate the encouragement, especially right now.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2013, 07:39:27 AM »
Friday, May 17th

Spent at least 10 minutes a day Wednesday and Thursday working on handstands against a wall. A few outdoor front flips on sand yesterday, over rotated on them all. Did an outdoor upwards double kong as well.

As for today I spent a little under an hour working on handstands, broad jumps, and precision jumps. Some of my handstands were decent but a lot of them I fell very quickly. I was hitting about 9 feet very consistently with my jumps. With precisions I was using the same setup as usual and staying on the bar as long as possible after landing it for extra balance practice.

As a result of my elbow problem and also the fact that it's beautiful out and I'm feeling a little motivated again, I'm planning to focus on skill, technique, mobility, and cardio over the summer. I'm going to try to maintain a decent level of strength (especially for muscle ups) but not worry about progressing with that as much until the nice weather ends. I don't know if I'll stick to this or not, but that's kind of the plan for now.