Author Topic: Dick's training log  (Read 31588 times)

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Dick's training log
« Reply #260 on: July 26, 2014, 06:08:06 AM »
Friday the 25th.

Shoulder dislocates and wrist warm ups
4x3 RTO dips
FL work. Did a mix of things including straight arm skin the cats and static holds.
3x5 RTO pushups
3x5 pull ups +35 pounds
Some handstand work

Didn't have enough time for a full workout and wasn't feeling well to start with so it was a short, mediocre day.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2014, 08:23:09 AM »
I don't know what's been up but I just haven't cared to log my training. It's probably because I'm rarely home and almost constantly running on very little sleep so I can't bring myself to log my work outs.

Basically to recap I kept working out for maybe a week after my last post. My shoulders started to really bother me with a constant dull pain reminiscent of how my elbows felt before the tendonitis..So I took off after that and haven't done a full workout since. I've been doing a little more parkour training since then. My friend hosted a jam last weekend and I trained every day from Friday-Sunday. Did some sessions on my own this week and I've gone to open gym here and there since I stopped recording my progress as well.

My shoulders still hurt but I'm going to try an easy workout on Monday and see if that helps. If not I'll probably take the rest of the summer off strength training and do a ton of prehab/rehab work while keeping up with parkour and hit strength again when I'm at school and have a gym. Either way I'll be back to deadlifting when I get to school which I'm quite excited for.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 28, 2014, 01:55:58 PM »
I don't know why I don't update this anymore. I just don't care for some reason.

Guess I'll give a little update, maybe I can get myself to start posting again.

So I got to school and joined the parkour club. Things were going great, got a ton of very high quality training in and pushed my limits a ton. Started throwing twists on concrete and almost got front fulls outside. Hit front 540's in the gym into a foam pit, front halves off a bar, much bigger jumps and rail precisions. Even some running precisions which I'm terrified of. Unfortunately we took a trip to Pinnacle and I tried for a 10 foot lache to cat leap but my sweaty hand ripped off the bar, my feet hit the wall at an odd angle and I did some serious damage to some hip muscle. Maybe internal rotator. Couldn't walk for a few days, limped around for 2 weeks, and I'm still in pain when I sit for too long but it's not nearly as bad. Can't train and won't be able to for a while still.

So in the mean time I'm still going to the parkour club every day and helping out. Next semester I'll probably be an instructor in the club. I've also got my rings here and I'm working out on them. I now have slow dead hang muscle ups, much more controlled front felges, can hit a back lever here and there without wrist pain, and I'm working on other things. Oh straight arm skin the cats, too.

That's pretty much where I'm at I guess. No lower body anything for who knows how long, so rings it is.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 02, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
Wednesday the 1st

Went to the gym with my friends. Since I'm injured I wasn't really sure what to do. I can pretty much only do strictly upper body stuff. Can't work out my legs or core and I'm wary of anything that could make things worse, so I decided to mostly spot them and mess around with pull ups and dips.

I did a set of 10 p bar dips and god were they easy. I felt like I was floating. I saw a weight belt and decided to see what my max is since I've never done weighted dips before. Did a set of 4-5 with 45 pounds, which I honestly thought would be my max but it felt pretty easy so I decided to just go balls out and try 2 plates (90 pounds). Got 2 sets with the 2nd rep of each set being pretty slow.

Since I got 90 on dips I decided to test my weighted pull up max. If we're being honest I expected to max at 50-60 pounds at most..Started with 45 and did 2-3 reps pretty easy, so I again jumped straight to 90. I got one rep there. Bottom of the pull was easy, struggled a bit getting fully over the bar but I made it and was able to hold the top and lower down to a dead hang. Tried for a second rep but couldn't budge.

So weighted dip 1 rep max is a little over 90, weighted pull up max is probably an even 90.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 07, 2014, 07:58:37 AM »
Monday the 6th

Finally got to do some parkour training after these long, depressing weeks off. I did some running precisions, kongs, side flips, and rolls. Hip hurts a bit today but it's a different pain now.

Took my rings out after the session with some of the guys

Did a few slow ring muscle ups as well as this routine. I cleaned it up a lot more, didn't bend my knees at all and had no jerk in my forward roll.
Some shoulder dislocates, wrist stretches, skin the cats, and RTO support holds
3x4 RTO dips
3 sets of tuck front lever practice
3x8 pull ups
3, 4, 3 overhead press with 115 pounds
Deadlift 135x5, 225x5, 315x2. The 315 felt easy to lift but my hands were sweaty and I didn't have chalk and didn't want to alternate grip.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 14, 2014, 11:53:51 AM »
Ah man of course I didn't post all my training last week. Damn it.

Alright so Tuesday and Wednesday I trained with the parkour club here at Rowan. I was mostly trying to get back into the swing of things. Did some side flips, jumps, wall runs, climb ups, cat leaps, kong-cats, and a ton of rail precisions. Pretty much hit everything I could. I'm getting so much more comfortable with cat leaps and go some really big ones those two days.

Friday I might have done something but I forget..

Sunday I went to open gym back home. Most did a ton of muscle up and back felge work. I'm close to slow muscle ups on bar (have them easily on rings) but I had to cheat the slightest bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prYX-gz2Upc&list=UUV3UByRcupiOS0hH1Lo7UFg
Back felges are gonna take a while to get properly.
I also worked some of my twists and flips trying to get comfortable again. Feels weird.

Monday the club training got cancelled because of rain so I went to Pinnacle with some guys. I worked twisting a lot and got mostly front 1 and a halves into the pit from about a 5 foot drop. I got 1 and 3/4 once. Also got some side fulls in there and other flips. Worked my rain precisions and running jumps really hard. I'm now sticking down rail precisions and plyoing out pretty consistently, but man is it scary.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2014, 12:21:35 PM »
I kind of gave up on posting my training as I see it as kind of pointless lately. Life's a grind lately, but parkour and strength training are keeping me going. I train parkour 3-4 times a week with the club in various spots. I make sure to hit the hardest jumps I've done at each spot every single time I go there, regardless of how I feel that day. It varies a lot day to day, but there's a good upward trend in my ability to go for things.

I might get back to tracking my workouts, though, because I've been winging it and I want to have a record to look back at.
Currently my routine is 3x a week of the following, generally in this order

Deadlift
Front squat
Overhead press
Weighted pull ups
Weighted dips
Bodyweight rows
Muscle ups thrown in whenever. I work out on rings whenever I get the chance but the weather makes that tough. I still find rings way more intense than weighted upper body work.

My deadlift 1RM is 425 pounds as of Monday. On Friday I pulled 385x3 and 405x1 as well.
Front squat 3RM so far is 205. Staying upright is mostly the issue at present.
Overhead press best was 135x2 or 125 6x3
Weighted pull ups haven't moved much, currently do about 3x5 with 45 pounds added. Grip is actually a limiting factor due to deadlifts coming first.
Weighted dips I got an extra 45 pounds for 7 reps in a single set, up to also 3x5 in multiple sets.
Bodyweight rows I kind of do just to do. Don't worry about rest time, do however many sets I feel like. I don't care about them because they're easy and I want to be working on front levers. I think I'll actually make that change now.

Oh, can't do handstands, pushups, or planche variations at the moment due to wrist pain. I'm working on rehabbing it because my handstands were progressing really well.

So yeah. Getting stronger, doing better, still think I'm weak and bad, though. If I don't update per workout I'll at least post something like this here and there so I have something to look back on when I assess the effectiveness of my programming.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 27, 2014, 08:10:33 AM »
Wednesday the 26th

390x3 deadlift 3RM PR
215x3 front squat 3RM PR
155x1 overhead press PR
+50x4 weighted pull ups PR
My friend had me try bench once and I got 185 easy but I'm so shaky with it. I prefer weighted dips and OHP

Offline Michaeldax

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Dicks training log
« Reply #268 on: December 12, 2014, 12:08:10 AM »
Well those people are probably pushing you harder so thats positive.  I always feel whether its working out or playing sports or working or with anything in life that if I am working or training with people that are better than me it pushes me to get better results than if I am around people below my level.

-Dylan

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 03, 2015, 09:34:40 AM »
Numbers are continually moving up.

390x9 and 405x5 deadlift. I'm 100% sure I could pull around 450 right now.
205 3x5 front squat
155x3 overhead press, 175x1
Got my back lever and human flag back.
Bar muscle ups are down to 2 good ones, working them back up.
RTO dips form is finally satisfactory.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 11, 2015, 10:00:27 AM »
445 pound deadlift
Back lever
175 pound overhead press
225 2x3 front squat

I'm feeling a bit beat up, haven't been eating nearly enough to keep up with all my training.

In other news the gymnastics gym I train at asked me to start coaching gymnastics there, and they also want to start a parkour class which I would teach along with a training partner of mine. This is a huge opportunity and it completely blindsided me. Things are going pretty well.

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 11, 2015, 05:47:11 PM »
that is great about the opportunity to coach! You definitely seem knowledgeable enough about parkour and and also seem to research and have facts before you "teach" others about it on the forums. good luck.
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 11, 2015, 06:18:57 PM »
Thanks man! I hate how often people talk without any actual knowledge, especially in the fitness and parkour worlds. That's why I can be an ass sometimes, but I do mean well haha. To be honest I almost said no to the coaching offer because I really don't want to be another awful coach, but if I can work it around school they're going to train me as a gymnastics coach so I can get formal coaching experience there and then me and my buddy will start up the parkour class. I'm nervous but I'm going to do my best to make it as useful as possible for students. I'm thinking I might have to cut back on my strength training a bit and start focusing more on parkour skills, but I don't really want to do that yet.

I'm also going to be an instructor at my school's parkour club this semester and I'm working towards becoming president. It's crazy man, I love parkour but it's really just been something I do for enjoyment and now it's opening up so many doors for me out of nowhere.

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 11, 2015, 08:50:34 PM »
That's awesome, Dick. You always help people out on the forums and seem to know a lot about pretty much everything to do with parkour, so you'll do well. Good luck!  ;D
Live Free, Run Free
Don't go beyond your boundaries, expand them.
Never stop playing.

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 12, 2015, 10:07:35 PM »
Congrats on such a wonderful opportunity, Dick! You definitely deserve it, best of luck to you!

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 15, 2015, 07:04:27 AM »
Thanks a lot guys! Right now I'm trying to figure out how to work it into my schedule. The gym is only 20 minutes from my house, but I go to school a little more than an hour away and already work weekends. So my only options right now are to coach Monday and Friday or maybe weekends but that might force me to quit my other job. As soon as I can get that all worked out I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 11, 2015, 07:46:09 AM »
Alright so I believe I start coaching on Saturday. At this point it looks like I'm just going to go home every weekend and only coach on Saturdays so my schedule should be manageable but it's gonna be rough still.

Anyway I'm up to 205 now and somehow stronger for my bodyweight than when I was 195. Here are my back lever and flag, both better form and longer hold times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijM2lZUaLZo

Parkour club is finally going so I'm back to being able to train. I'm an instructor now and I'm going to be working with the president this semester to take over next semester when he graduates.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2015, 06:09:39 AM »
Competed in the speed comp at Pinnacle Parkour yesterday. I took second place overall. Should have been third but my buddy who had the fastest time also had a slip up that bumped him out of first. It was a really awesome experience and I went in expecting to get last.