Author Topic: Dick's training log  (Read 30024 times)

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
Re: Dick's training log
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »
Good work man. How far can you broad jump now?
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time
Twitter

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 09:58:43 AM »
Wednesday, March 27th

Training

Spent a while practicing handstands and broad jumps

Workout:

Tuck front lever 4x10s
L sit 3x16s
Climb ups 3x2
Handstand pushups (against wall) 3x2
Tuck front lever pullups hanging from a tower 3x3
One handed pushups 3x2 both hands
My toe nail ripped off
Leg lifts
Planks

Finished off with a cold shower and now it's time to stuff myself with food  ;D

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 10:01:21 AM »
And Nick, thanks! A little encouragement goes a long way. I don't have an actual measurement of my broad jump, but I took a video today and it could be close to 8 feet. The fence post in the 2nd clip is about an inch taller than me (and I'm 5'11) and I landed a bit more than 2 steps away from the end of it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8AVyX2hH84" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8AVyX2hH84</a>

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »
Also some of my best handstands from today:
One of those was about 10 seconds =)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-n-Fa-5bo8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-n-Fa-5bo8</a>

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 11:01:02 AM »
Awesome work on the handstands, man! Little jealous of you towards the end when you did that tuck planche to handstand =P

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 01:28:50 PM »
Thanks  ;D. But my arms were bent so far I almost kissed the ground. It's technically really bad form, but it makes it a lot easier.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »
I'm flattered about  getting a video reply  ;D. I remember when I started I got 6 feet, so a 2 foot improvement, no reason why we can't eventually get up to 10. My broad jump is about the same. I have these boards that stick about an inch or two off the ground outside. I grab a loose scrap board and put it out a set distance. I do it over and over until I can stick the landing five times in a row, then I will move it back an inch. It's great  motivator and way of viewing my progress.

Keep it up, progress is good!
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time
Twitter

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 02:09:28 PM »
Haha I kept meaning to take a video and that made me decide to do it. I like having videos because it lets me see that I actually did improve and it also gives me a way to check my own technique and see what needs work. Also, it's a little more credible when I have a video. And that's awesome man! You're at about 8 feet too? 10 feet better watch out, we're coming for it.
I like that, that's a good way of training. I don't actually practice jumping very often because I mess my knee up, but when I do I tend to just go for max and then try to beat that. Precisions are a different story.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 06:47:20 AM »
Friday, March 29th

Open gym at all american gymnastics. Did the usual stuff, but I ate shit on a double kong that I couldn't quite pull off. Someone has a video of it and I'll try to find that. I spent most of the time helping a few friends learn kongs and front flips so I didn't get in very much training. I also got 1 muscle up on rings which I haven't done in a while.
Also did 11 pullups on the ceiling and finally got a video of it.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG2ijBhYnUY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG2ijBhYnUY</a>

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »
That climb up has to wear you out but I'm pretty sure you should go all the way down for a pull up.
Good stuff
Twitter

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 05:17:42 AM »
I didn't realize that I wasn't when I was up there, it's pretty intimidating haha. I was just trying to get to 11 as fast as I could so I didn't waste any energy hanging there.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 01:46:06 PM »
Bit of a weird day of working out for me

2x5 muscle ups
4x10s front lever
L sit 20s 15s 15s, hip flexors burned out
Some lower ab work (trying to fix some imbalances, my lower abs are extremely weak)
Hip thrusts

Really short workout, I'm pretty disappointed now that I look at it but I need to get more flexible before deadlifting again, not to mention squatting.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 04:37:42 AM »
Wednesday, April 3rd

Spent all morning working front lever exercises then went to the gym
2x4 muscle ups
Weighted pullups 3x3 with 35 pounds. Decided to go back down on these and slowly work up again.
More front levers I forget how many and how long
L sit 3x15s
Pseudo planche pushups 5x3

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:45:34 AM by Dick Stapleton »

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 10:27:17 AM »
Thursday, April 4th

Front lever practice
Good amount of handstand practice
Hours of volleyball.
Landed several front flips outside, but I land in a really low crouch and sometimes have to put a hand down. I have to work on that.

Absolutely loving the nice weather.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »
Friday, April 5th

Went to the open gym. Worked on a variety of stuff. Notably, I managed to climb up and down the rope twice without stopping but it was sloppy. I tried to get sideflips down but I really can't seem to get the feel for them.

If anyone needs a good laugh here's the double kong that I messed up last week:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGiMmQD8-RA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGiMmQD8-RA</a>

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
Do you know what you did wrong on that double kong?
Twitter

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 02:51:51 PM »
Several things! What really killed it is I didn't run fast enough but I also jumped more up than forward, didn't push hard enough on the second block and didn't bring my chest up to let my knees come through. And if there's anything else you noticed please inform me so I can work on it  :)

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 01:17:52 PM »
ok  :)
Doing a split step approach will help you keep a lot of that speed, plating you hands deeper on the second object makes it easier to get your feet past the object. If you you plant your hands deep on the first object it'll make up for the difference you get from putting your hands deep on the second.
Twitter

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »
Yeah my split step was sloppy but if you watch closely I still tried to do one, my feet just ended up together. You're right about the hand placement, but that's really a product of my lack of speed and high jump angle. If I had jumped a little more forward I would have been able to put my hands a little farther back on the first block but with how I jumped I would have had no power reaching farther. And I couldn't have hit farther on the second block because I was too far back from my screwed up jump. So yeah, very good points, but it all comes back to the takeoff.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2013, 04:35:39 PM »
Monday, April 8th

3 muscle ups-lost some skin on both palms at Friday's open gym so I had to stop these before I bled.
Front lever 5x10s
Demonstrated another 2 muscle ups for my friend who's trying to learn them and my forearms started hurting
Weighted pullups 3 with 35 pounds. The top of my forearms right under my inner elbow were burning so I stopped these immediately.
Tried l sits, managed 2x15s but same thing forced me to stop.
Pseudo planche pushups 3x5
Handstand work to finish it off

Feeling a little beat up. My hands are torn, I hurt my foot playing volleyball yesterday, and now whatever went wrong with my arms today. I'm not gonna do any muscle ups the rest of the week because that's probably what hurt me.