Author Topic: getting back into it  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
getting back into it
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:37:57 PM »
Since school started and even a little before that, I stopped training. Not because of any injuries or anything. It was just because I got bored, not bored of parkour, just bored of the area. For 2 years I have trained in my small town. Everyday I would train and practice, I got really good at certain movements. About the start of last summer I had done and mastered just about everything I could think of. There was nothing new and so I stopped training.

Now at about a quarter through the school year I am starting to miss parkour. I can feel how weak and unhealthy I've gotten over the summer. I still look like an athlete but I don't feel the same as I did when I trained everyday.

So I went out and practised. I've been training by myself and with others for the past week and I still am bored. I find myself just sitting there talking not really exited about training as I used to be, just because everything is old.
I try to visit other places as often as I can but that doesn't happen much
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:41:39 PM by Tyler »
2 Samuel 22
30 For by you I can run against a troop; By my God I can leap over a wall.
33 God is my strength and power, And He makes my way perfect.
34 ...he sets me on my high places.
37 you enlarged my path under me; so my feet did not slip.

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
Re: getting back into it
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 11:39:43 PM »
Has this happened to anyone else?

What did you do to get back into it?

2 Samuel 22

Offline Joshua Lehmiller

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 01:21:58 AM »
I assume you've experimented with movements you aren't that good at already, so my next suggestion would be to start racing. Pick a starting spot and a destination, get from A to B as fast as possible, and then try to do it faster.

This is just a random idea, as I've never had anything like this happen to me--I've only been training for somewhat less than a full year. Just a thought, though. And you *will* want to keep training and stay in shape, for eventually you're likely to leave the area, and you likely won't want to re-train yourself when you find a new location.

Alternatively, it occurs to me that, should you have the time, funding, and inclination, you might try making your own obstacles. There's instructions aplenty on the internet; even elsewhere on these forums, as I recall. But storage, time, and funding might be a problem.

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 07:11:50 AM »
The Racing thing is a good idea. In my town obstacles are scarce and there are huge running gaps between them. so its basicly just a long sprint.

I made tons of vault boxes and platforms last year in my woods class. they're fun and add more options and movements.

In my first post i said that I have gotten good at certain movements. what i mean by that is ive gotten good at rails and running. theres not much to climb in our town and so I havent been able to practice things like cat hangs or wall ups (i think thats what theyre called)

Im posting here to see if anyone has an idea i havent thought of yet lol.
2 Samuel 22

Offline Somik

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 08:17:01 AM »
Climb buildings!  ;D

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 08:18:41 AM »
Everybody hits this road-block, you gotta remember what got you excited in the first place. Then you gotta remember you can never master a technique, no matter how good you are at it. You'll always want to make the movement further, higher, faster, but did you consider quieter? This is another example of not mastering movements, you can't eliminate sound, but if you can eliminate a majority of it you're pretty damn good at that movement. Especially landings, the clash of your feet and the ground usually generates more noise than your hands touching an obstacle. Racing is one idea, but try doing things quietly too.

Somik, that isn't neccessarily a good advice, Tyler is probably trying to avoid law confrontation, and in a suburban area he lives in that's fairly difficult with the way people act.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »
Ya I learned the locals dont like "roof hopping" as I call it. I learned that the hard way in my first month of parkour :P ;D

I have always tried to be quiet. its a part of training i work on the most haha. I admit i am not a master of movements but i have gotten very good at them. I am going out to train today just by myself. hopefully not having the distracting friends around will bring me back to what got me excited in the first place, after all I started on my own.

Thanks guys, i will let you know how it goes.
2 Samuel 22

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 05:39:12 PM »
Ya I learned the locals dont like "roof hopping" as I call it. I learned that the hard way in my first month of parkour :P ;D

I have always tried to be quiet. its a part of training i work on the most haha. I admit i am not a master of movements but i have gotten very good at them. I am going out to train today just by myself. hopefully not having the distracting friends around will bring me back to what got me excited in the first place, after all I started on my own.

Thanks guys, i will let you know how it goes.
Many of us started on our own, that's why we use APK as a support network; a community that understands our hobby, our passion, our work.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 08:26:16 PM »
Many of us started on our own, that's why we use APK as a support network; a community that understands our hobby, our passion, our work.
I know, its a great place. Ive been here for a few years.

Today's training was fun.
 I went by myself just like a planned so I wouldn't be distracted by others and it worked out pretty well!
I was able to go over every basic movement and refresh myself on proper forms and techniques. I even noticed my roll needed to be tweaked just a bit.

I also realized I had lost a few abilities. like my muscle ups. I used to be able to pump those out, now I cant even do one.
My climb ups also got weaker. I had to rely on the staggered arm to get up rather than the pop up.

Those things shouldn't be hard to get back.
Time to break out my old pull up bar.

this being a muscle up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_uigNKA3oXA#t=15s

and this being a staggered climb up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vNZ2VWjlyvQ#t=38s
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:37:40 PM by Tyler »
2 Samuel 22

Offline Dave Hofbauer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:05 AM »
I have barely started my Parkour training, but have been visiting this forum for weeks to gain knowledge/inspiration, etc and have found it to be a great resource.  Anyway, I just wanted to add that whenever I take time off from regular exercise, I find myself more prone to injuries such as muscle pulls and the like.  So, part of  my inspiration for working out is injury avoidance.  I find this benefit of training often overlooked or forgotten.

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 08:28:31 AM »
Definitely. :)
2 Samuel 22