Author Topic: PK shoes  (Read 4183 times)

Moa

PK shoes
« on: April 13, 2007, 02:06:05 PM »
what kind of shoes are best for parkour. Running, hiking, etc. No shoe is probably best but my feet aren't tough enough for that yet.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
Re: PK shoes
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 06:28:04 AM »
Well Jason@fiveten will be here in a second to talk about 5.10's which I admit have extremely good grip for beginners, however I would suggest just going to a shoe store and getting some normal running shoes that don't have plastic in the arch, as little pieces as possible for the sole, and some decent padding.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 08:39:55 AM »
nice, actually i'd suggest just searching, there are tons of threads her about shoes
Formerly: Jason@FiveTen

Not all who wander are lost...

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 01:25:49 PM »
umm i vote that we sticky a thread thats simply titled "shoes" so that someone isn't making a new one every week.

or even for that matter, a whole section for shoes, which would actually make sense.
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 06:52:17 AM »
umm i vote that we sticky a thread thats simply titled "shoes" so that someone isn't making a new one every week.

or even for that matter, a whole section for shoes, which would actually make sense.

can i moderate it?

;D

no im kidding, seriously...

but a shoe section would make some sense, there are hundreds of shoes out there

Offline Fly High

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 07:54:31 AM »
Id vote for a shoe section, as for the question, I like asics

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 07:55:58 AM »

can i moderate it?

;D

no im kidding, seriously...

but a shoe section would make some sense, there are hundreds of shoes out there

yea and maybe within it it could even have sub catagories like, one for Parkour shoes, and one for climbing, or just other activities.

I know the parkour section would get the most traffic but i have seen people talk about what shoes they use for climbing and other activities before.
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Evocati

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 08:31:44 AM »
I just switched from a pair of beat-up Asics 1100's to a new pair of 5.10 Savant's which arrived via Mountain Gear from Amazon.com.   I have worn Asics shoes of some kind to run in for two years, before that it was New Balance or Brooks.  My last experience with 5.10 shoes was an approach shoe from years ago that I can't recall the name of.   They lasted forever, have no idea what happened to them...

The grip of the 5.10's has already been commented on (superlative).   Here's some (subjective) comparisons to my Asics...

Subjectively, about the same weight, possibly lighter.   Fits my foot much better (I wear a size 9, and have slightly wider than average foot).

Feel is much better.  I have a better sense of the ground underfoot.  They don't provide the cushion of the Asics, but this makes my feet work more efficiently.   There is a lot less external bulk to the shoe. It took a couple of runs to get used to it, but now I like it, and I have no injuries to report. 

The Savant breathes really well, and it is starting to get hot in Baghdad.   It easily handles the odd terrain transitions that I deal with here on my runs.  The shoe is stable and comfortable.

If the Insight is the same shoe in sturdier materials I am considering  buying it for general use when I get back to the states.

Overall this is a great shoe, and I don't miss my old running shoes at all.  Bit pricey, paid $89 for them.  Depends on how well they hold up.   Asics at the military PX go for about $60.  Still, it seems like a good purchase.    I am well pleased.   Thanks 5.10.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 09:15:56 AM »
I am well pleased.   Thanks 5.10.

;D

Offline Logan Lay

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • LEL Enterprises
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 09:19:33 AM »
I just got some LaSportivas, their new Fire Blade model and I love them!!! I have Wide feet and most of the Sportivas are pretty narrow but this Fire Blade isn't. This is honestly one of the most comfortable feeling shoes I have ever worn  --  yet very durrable, grippy, and light.

The first day I was wearing them I didn't take them off all day and usually with new shoes I'll take them off every hour or so just cause I'm trying to break them in and they hurt. But not these La Sportiva Fire Blades.

It has good padding yet I still have really good tactile sense on my feet and for some reason they are extra quiet. It's like "Auto-Ninja Mode" all the time.

The sole is made so rocks and debree can't get stuck in the cracks of the grip and the toe is reinforced with a solid rubber so you can't tear them up so quick. My previous shoes are New Balance 485 and I've had them 4 months and they're almost completely shot.

I am a big fan so far!!! More reports to come later!!!
"I can do All things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phil. 4:13

"I'm Going There. I'm Going There Directly. I'm Going There Directly and Nothing is Going To Stop Me. I'm Going There Right Now." - David Belle

"Train for Life, not for Prestige" - Charles Moreland

Moa

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 05:28:56 PM »
Sorry i didn't look very hard for a shoe thread so ya we should have a child board in this with shoes.

Offline molkien

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 12:24:22 PM »
I'm wearing an old pair of asics atm, and they work well enough. I would love to try a pair of 5.10 savants, but unfortunately they don't have them in my size (8.5) and probably won't for another 3 months.  :-[

Gearsighted

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 02:34:54 PM »
How about this really cool on in the FAQ

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,184.0.html

I'll probably move it here so that it makes more sense...we didn't have the consumer whore section when I wrote that.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 03:50:48 PM »
I'm wearing an old pair of asics atm, and they work well enough. I would love to try a pair of 5.10 savants, but unfortunately they don't have them in my size (8.5) and probably won't for another 3 months.  :-[

try some online retailers... our in house supply simply got pillaged with PK orders from individuals and dealers

Offline molkien

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 06:32:39 AM »
I have looked around online and the only place that i have found to have the savant in my size is MountainGear.com However, they don't seem to have very good reviews, and I'm not sure if they can be trusted? Do you have any other suggestions for online retailers or have any of you heard anything about Mountain Gear?

Evocati

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 07:37:43 AM »
Heads up, Molkien...

I got my Savants from Mountain Gear.  They are an Amazon retailer.  The package arrived in Baghdad five days after it was shipped!  Shipping cost: $0.

They get my vote, go for it.   You can order direct from their site or relay the order through Amazon.com if you aren't sure.  They have a no questions asked return/refund policy.

Three weeks later, and the Savants are still going strong.  They even survived a trip into the canal (and you don't want to know what is at the bottom of the canal water, trust me.)  Rinsed them off in the shower, laid them out in the sun to dry, good as new. 

The Savants take about a week or so to break in.   They are a different feel underfoot  than a normal running shoe.  No complaints.   Shoes are very personal.  Try several kinds, you never know what will work for you.  Every shoe company uses different "lasts" to build the shoe on, and while you might desperately want a pair of 5.10's they just might not fit your feet so well. 

But they fit mine, so I'm still cool.... 8)

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 08:30:35 AM »
great summary, the last is the most important aspect to a shoe design.

Also, i have to back up the Mtn Gear suggestion, they are on the ball for sure.