Author Topic: "stealthed" running shoes  (Read 13161 times)

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
Re: "stealthed" running shoes
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 06:20:54 PM »
I guess heavy bulky etc or relative terms this is the shoe I normally wear http://www.shoemall.com/assets/product_images/styles/large/613046DGY1Z.jpg that what I think of as light. I just called my girlfreind in to look at the shoe, her immediate reaction it looks really heavy and thick soled. Maybe it is the picture I'll certainly try them on if I ever see them in a store, just giving my feedback from looking at it.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 08:34:18 AM »
ok, so the savant looks light?

that's cause it is. you can not compare a insulated padded shoe to one like the Merrell or Savant that is almost entirely mesh.

anyway, the marvel is not heavy when compared to shoes in the same catagory
Formerly: Jason@FiveTen

Not all who wander are lost...

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 12:29:50 PM »
That interesting to me the savant does not look light but your right it is pretty light. I am not trying to compare shoes from an independent categories I am trying to establish how they would function for the category of parkour shoes light flexible and minimal padded is what I am looking for, insulation and padding are marks against a shoe in my mind so thanks for clearing that up.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 01:23:42 PM »
Posting this here, since it's not getting a response in the other thread and it's on-topic here, too!

Jason, is the FR purpose-built shoe going to have a lot or a little cushioning?  Personally, i would think the less amount of cushioning the better, so I'd like to know what your plans are in that regard.

And now that I know the Savant has so much cushioning, I'm reconsidering...  How is the Marvel in terms of cushioning (since that's another option, as you said it'll be released around the time I'll be buying new shoes).
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 03:51:54 PM »
isaw your other post but was unsure how to respond... then got busy the last couple days...

how's this?

I would rather not comment publicly on any product that has not been shown to the public.

Hope you understand.

the Savant has a dense padding, that's the thing, it's not just amount but density... many people think the savant is light on padding, but in reality it uses a higher density padding that you will only really notice with larger impacts... NoSole from SFPK is taking ridiculous drops and swears by the padding in them, wear I personally think the Marvel/Genius is better... then again he has not tried the marvel yet.

but i tend to agree with you, less cushioning definitely has it's benefits for PK, ideally there would be a balance, so the shoe would feel more comfortable than say a vans canvas shoe and still have a high level of precision... Rock climbing shoes exist for precision, and hikers require cushioning, so we do have a fair amount of knowledge in regards to that balance.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 04:33:18 PM »
Thank you.  And it's fine.  I understand it's not released yet.  :)
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 08:00:46 PM »
NoSole from SFPK is taking ridiculous drops and swears by the padding in them

i think that regardless of skill level or equipment "ridiculous drops" should be abstained from. i think this statement is a mark against NoSole and not one for 5.10. to me this statement is saying something along the lines of "our shoes will let you take big drops", and i think that this is not something that you should advertise, because along with being potentially dangerous to potential costumers, it should be acknowledged that no matter how much you've trained or what shoes you are wearing, big drops could injure you.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 09:41:06 AM »
i think this statement is a mark against NoSole and not one for 5.10. to me this statement is saying something along the lines of "our shoes will let you take big drops"

i think you thought wrong.

the word Ridiculous is in there for a reason... the drops i have seen him do are bigger than anything i would ever want to consider... but not the biggest i have seen, Skynative for instance  have seen do bigger for sure.

BUT what is important is illustrating that the shoes denser EVA provides more cushioning on larger impacts than most other shoes.

This is not saying that our shoes compensate for training, they do not... and big drops are probably not a good idea for most traceurs... I was simply illustrating the difference in "more/less cushion" and the fact that it is not as simple as the amount of cushion, but also the type... much like shock absorbers on cars... an Off-road shock absorber behaves very differently from a performance "race tuned' shock.

my mention of NoSole was more like saying,
"My truck has Bilstien 7100 resevoirs, it is much smoother on the whoops than when i had the Rancho RSX system"

hope that makes sense.

personally i don't want to imply that huge drops are a good idea for most people... they are not...
at the same time, I feel it should be left to the individual to do the research and figure out what is and is not within their ability and decide for themselves what is and is not a good idea, for them.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 11:47:13 AM »
i think we disagree on that point, because i dont believe that big drops are a good idea for anyone. i dont like seeing people do big drops when they are training, and i dont like seeing big drops in videos. i think it sends the wrong message to new traceurs, and in my opinion its far too stressful and dangerous to your body.

as a side note, last time i watched one of skynative's videos i commented on the big drops:
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,3729.0.html
keep it free and true

Over
Through

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 03:49:10 PM »
fair enough.

please be aware this is not being said as a position of Five Ten... but as my own opinion. I'm a traceur on APK... i just happen to work for Five Ten.

not that i think this is very controversial in and of itself, but I wanted to clear that up from your earlier assumption, the only official 'Five Ten' opinion or statement would be on the website or press releases. Which is part of why i wont comment on products that have not been shown to the public.

that said, I dounderstand your point of view, an attempt to protect the uninformed who watch a youtube video and go jump off their roof... i just see it slightly differently i think.

as an example and to defend skynative a bit(since i dragged his name into this)...

at a recent jam a young traceur(16yo) found himself on a rooftop, probably a 15' drop, he stood there debating whether or not to jump while the rest of us stood on the ground telling him it was a bad idea... one of the people vocal about him not doing it was Skynative, well Skynative and Frosti, I gained a lot of respect for them at that moment, contrary to the impression some might get from videos, experienced traceurs are not wreckless, and they definitely took the time to try and talk the kid down... it was a scary few minutes and I know i was not alone in wondering how long it would take to get this kid to the hospital if he did decide to give it a go... in the end he climbed down and we went on with a fun jam... lesson learned, the safe way.

the difference i think is your of the opinion that kids simply do what they see without regard for the consequences and thus are influenced to do dangerous things by videos they may see... while i tend to agree with you, I still lean towards personal responsibility and had that kid jumped and been hurt I feel that the responsibility lies with him and his choices.

Offline oopnickc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 06:28:41 PM »
wish i read this thread before i bought new shoes. Can nike shox be resoled?

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2007, 08:47:09 AM »
find a good re-soler and just about anything can be re-soled

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2007, 08:24:43 AM »
i think you should look to get a different pair of shoes and get them resoled, nike shox have been shown to be pretty damaging to the person wearing them.
keep it free and true

Over
Through

Offline philosophe

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2007, 05:08:27 PM »
Marvel and Genius revealed. Now taking preorders. Jason, the tread on these trail runners looks less conducive to parkour than the outsole of the Savant. Large lugs in order to grip dirt and gravel, am I right? There's a good pic of the outsole on the fiveten homepage and I think they both share the same sole. Also, they are not co-molded. The Savant is still the choice for me for ultralight backpacking, kayaking, approaches, scrambling, and trail running. TBH I want them as multisport shoes more than as PK shoes.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2007, 07:59:21 PM »
please note, Mountaingear has incorrect photos, details and pricing.

but the general "shape" is right.

anyway, yes the marvel and genius share the same outsole, just as the savant/insight/prodigy do... the marvel sole is a more aggressive tread, but mine are holding up fairly well... not worse than other shoes.

let me get some feedback from a couple others before i swear thy hold up well... i'll be getting a pair to PD this week