Author Topic: rolling side  (Read 5618 times)

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
rolling side
« on: December 14, 2005, 10:31:10 AM »
does anyone roll both ways?.......hm.......let me rephrase that. ::) um. do you only roll over one shoulder, or can you roll over either one?

Offline coastal96

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: rolling side
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 06:20:59 AM »
I suck at rolls but I always go over my right shoulder . . . to the left just seems really awkward.

Offline michiganparkour

• Patas
  • WHAAAAAAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 02:00:32 PM »
i roll mostly over my right shoulder..but I'm gonna work on rolling over my left one
Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Kent

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 05:45:31 PM »
Right now I can only roll on my right safely.  Ive been drilling my rolls a lot and my left side is still pretty akward but Im working on it.  I really wish I learned everything for left and right sides when I was starting out. :-[

Offline michiganparkour

• Patas
  • WHAAAAAAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 05:49:30 PM »
beginningi only started around the begining of fall that way i can learn it but it feels real weird cause sometI'mes it hard for me to even get my rolls on my right side down some days
Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Sonya P.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 09:07:10 PM »
You roll on on the side that you write with normally. I roll lefty (on my left shoulder) but I'm Ambi. Last week I tried rolling on my right side and after 3 tries I had it. Though its currently a bit sloppier than the left side. It doesn't really matter if you can roll both sides or not, I don't suppose. Just stating its not impossible to roll both sides.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 11:13:56 AM »
HEHE well I roll over my left.  I write with my Right hand though.  Oh well.  At any rate.  When I first started out I always rolled on my Right.  I have gotten pretty good at switching shoulders now.  I think it really helps because it opens you up to doing different types of moves.  kinda like ALWAYS taking off on the right leg when you jump or something.  You should be ambidextrise.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 09:56:14 PM by Matthew Lee Willis »
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Steez

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 02:05:44 PM »
i roll on my right, working on the left but...

i had a naasty bail a few weeks back, and my body automatically went straight into a left-shouldered roll.  good thing too.  just kind of interesting, that the body will do what's awkward in your head if it needs to be done.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 06:42:00 PM »
I usually roll over my right but left isn't much of a difference to me. I just train more over my right. :)
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Gearsighted

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 04:53:35 PM »
I roll equally over both, and have made a purpose to train this skill since the beginning of my Parkour journey. I think that limiting yourself to one-sided technnique in ANYTHING is to invite a lack of preparedness for the very situation that Parkour is intended.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 04:08:21 AM »
i roll over my right without thinking when i land and have to roll. my rolls are better over my left.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 01:43:45 PM »
Its important that you know how to roll over both shoulders. As well as to the side and backward.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 06:34:14 PM »
ideally you should be able to twist midair like a cat to always land in a position where you can safely land or safely roll.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 07:52:50 PM »
Interesting thing, I rolled over my right for the majority of my pk career, but one day I tried the left side for the first time and my teqnique there was, for lack of a better word, perfect.  It felt much better than my right.  So, I applyed elements of the left side roll into my right side and now their both very good.  (and by very good I mean not too bad :))

"In heaven, we'll all freerun with Jesus"
                           ..."His Kongs are off the hook!"