Author Topic: How to get abs  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Kyle Austin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Team Altair's Angels (CO-founder)
    • View Profile
How to get abs
« on: May 01, 2012, 05:01:35 PM »
Well the title really makes the point, question is how? See I'm really "picky eater" no fruits or veggies, but I've been training parkour for 4 years now. My stomach is flatter but no such prominent marks of toned abs. So the question is, how does a picky eater get abs. Also any really good ab workouts mentioned is appreciated.
"water" on the move

Offline Bradley DeWeese

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: How to get abs
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »
this might sound stupid, but ever since i started doing backflips I've seen a great improvement in my abs. started out with just a flat stomach and now i gotta six pack ;D.
this thread is now 20% cooler.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 05:48:19 PM »
Well the title really makes the point, question is how? See I'm really "picky eater" no fruits or veggies, but I've been training parkour for 4 years now. My stomach is flatter but no such prominent marks of toned abs. So the question is, how does a picky eater get abs. Also any really good ab workouts mentioned is appreciated.

Fix your nutrition. Abs are made in the kitchen.

Cut out processed foods. Don't care if you're picky; eat good food. Start eating fruits and vegetables, meat, fish, etc. You need a caloric deficit to lose the fat covering them.

For abs work, RKC planks, L-sits, hanging leg raises all good options. Don't do situps or crap exercises like that. Back flips are OK if you can do them safely
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:07:40 AM »
This ^
10 push ups.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:36:16 AM »
Plus squats and deadlifts

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:13:44 PM »
What steve said + normal work schedule. This means go to bed at the same time and eat at the same time almost everyday. f#cking up your sleep can make you look a little flabby sometimes. 
"obsession is a great replacement for talent" -Steve Martin

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:13:27 AM »
Yeah,
Fix your nutrition. Abs are made in the kitchen.

Cut out processed foods. Don't care if you're picky; eat good food. Start eating fruits and vegetables, meat, fish, etc. You need a caloric deficit to lose the fat covering them.

For abs work, RKC planks, L-sits, hanging leg raises all good options. Don't do situps or crap exercises like that. Back flips are OK if you can do them safely

Stick to the outside lap of the Grocery store and shrink your Wheat based carb intake (Breads, Pastas, And BEER [that's the hardest for me] etc.)

Heavy Lifts and Fast Paced W/O's keep your body burning for hours after. Sprint Training and Multi Joint Lifts (Olympic Lifts) should be your bread and butter.

Add in the Ab work Steven said to give your abs a nice long look once they are visible. What I'm saying is, Just because you are working your abs and they burn, doesn't mean you are burning the fat around them.

I like Windshield Wipers, Leg Raises, Russian Twists, V-Sits and Holding Cat Grabs is a pretty sweet Core Workout.

What steve said + normal work schedule. This means go to bed at the same time and eat at the same time almost everyday. f#cking up your sleep can make you look a little flabby sometimes. 

^Truth

Oh, and Keep track of Sodium intake. To much will cause you to retain water and hide those abs. Can be countered by drinking MORE water, this will also help you burn fat.
Not drinking enough water is VARY often overlooked here because it seems like everyone should already know, but it's easy to think "I get enough water, I drink like 8 glasses a day" "Just like people who say "I'm skinny and I eat a lot" then finding out they only eat about 1900-2100 cal. Athletes should be getting a gallon or more a day.

Hope this helps. Got me motivated to get ready for beach season. Just kidding (Not really)

Post is not Medical or Professional advice. Just opinion based on my own experience
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 06:02:17 PM »
I am feeling pedantic so i want to point out the other side to the abs are made in the kitchen rule. I

If you want abs like this http://tinyurl.com/7lucj94
Thats 50 percent diet 50 percent genetic.

The 50 percent diet thing is you have to have the right diet to get your abs visible the 50 percent genetic is the shape of the abs once revealed I had a gymnast I worked with who was 7 percent bodyfat he had 7mm on his abdominal pinch test he did not have a six pack he had 2 abs that was it that was all he would every had he simply lack the horizontal segmentation that most people had. My business partner has 7 abs instead of the normal six or eight. People have varying numbers of segments symetry of segments and size and shape of segments, in addition differences in fat patterning means your results may varry.

On the other hand if you want abs like this http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/coleman07.jpg Thats 25 percent diet, 25 percent genetics, 25 percent working your ass of in the gym and 25 percent taking ungodly amounts of PEDS, HGH in particularly is useful for this look.

This has been rafes pedantic service announcement of the day thanks for your time.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 04:50:24 AM »
I have great abs...you just can't see them. :P
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 05:53:22 AM »
lol, Rafe... bursting everyone's bubble. :P

But yeah, genetics matter to a certain extent the shape and whatnot.