Author Topic: Rate your shoes  (Read 4772 times)

Offline mmuir

• Patas
  • Parkour, it's not a sport, but it's a lifestyle
    • View Profile
Rate your shoes
« on: March 21, 2007, 05:23:16 AM »
Just a though, to rate your shoes one wieght, grip, durability, cusion, and overall out of 5. like my puma cells: Weight:5/5 very light, grip: 4/5 great!, durability: 2/5 didnt last long from wallruns, sole came off, cushion:3/5 great insoles but very thin soles(like a inch to start), and overall a 3.5/5 pretty good shoes, just need more durability.

i just got some new balance 473s, but i havent  ran yet, so iill post back later, and other people, i want to see reviews of your shoes and some others.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 05:34:13 AM by mmuir »
First we crawl,
Once we can crawl, We Walk.
Once we can walk, We Run.
Once we Run, We Flow.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
Re: Rate your shoes
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 09:47:56 AM »
asics, gone through three pairs, i pretty much expect shoes to last 3-6months and these are no different.

5/5 weight, much lighter than other trainers, 4/5 grip, id put 5 but im yet to try 5.10s or sportivas, and i think those own the 5/5 realm, 5/5 durability, i refuse to believe that any good shoe was truly made to last long, and these are no different, cushion, doesnt matter, you're better off learning how to land then relying on your shoes to cushion the fall. ill give them a 4+2/3 overall, we'll see how the sportiva's go.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 11:11:52 AM »
New Balance 872's

Weight-5/5 the lightest shoe i've ever worn, they actually remind me of my old track shoes that i would wear for sprints, when i put these things on i feel like im floating an inch above the ground cause the it just doesn't feel like im wearing anything.

Cushion- 4-4.5/5- i really haven't broken them in that much yet, and as with any shoes im sure some insoles would improve it, but as they are now, very nice cushion, i can land from medium height(to me 4-6 feet, i consider high anything above my head) on both concrete and grass without much difficulty at all.

Durability-N/A- haven't worn them in that much yet, only had them about a month, but so far they're holding up pretty well.

Grip-3/5- has near ZERO grip on painted surfaces, i know alot of shoes have this problem, i've even herd of the 5.10's having problems on similar surfaces so take this with a grain of salt. For most other surfaces its ok, they were bad at first but its been progressivly getting better as i break in the rubber.

Overall-3.5/5- In almost every respect its an amazing shoe, but unfortunately since its not purpose built for parkour, it suffers from a lack of impressive grip, if you can find them on sale for 60-70 they'd be worth buying, but i wouldn't recommend them worth buying at their current retail of $89.99.

If nothing else they are amazing athletic shoes, but sadly not amazing, only average parkour shoes.
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline mmuir

• Patas
  • Parkour, it's not a sport, but it's a lifestyle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 05:16:40 PM »
ok, yeah i had my cells for 5 months, i thought that was good, my mom was pissed, she was all like parkour tore up your shoes you can pay for some new one!!! i was like ok ill just use your money XP so now i get an allowance for clothes/accerories(spelled wrong) so i just got new balance 473 and puma romas(they are formal, leather with sauve sides, but they look cool and have grip so i just dont use them much). but back to my cells, the whole middle 3 tread ripped off on my right shoe and 1 on my left-from my promenatly using my right foot foor pushing on a WR and left as a follow up step. but there were a tread every like cm or so, so like inch and a half of sole is gone on one shoe...thats how bad i needed these new ones...the first thing i noticed was these were heavier, and two was they are like a lot taller...the pumas were running shoes almost like a track shoe, just no spikes, and had like a half inch sole to start with, so these have like 1 1/2 inches, so i need to get out and go.
First we crawl,
Once we can crawl, We Walk.
Once we can walk, We Run.
Once we Run, We Flow.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 08:38:04 PM »
New Balance 473's

I've had my 473's for a little while and they seem to be holding up very well, even with plenty of parkour.

Weight - 4/5 - They are not the lightest shoes i've ever seen but they are nice. There is a noticable difference when compared to other shoes.

Cushion - 3/5 - I think this was sacrificed slightly for weight. These shoes have plenty of support but not too much cushion.

Durability - 5/5 - No problems yet and i've had them for about 6 months. The grip is holding up well and also the outside looks new.

Grip - 4/5 - Same idea as Hardcore, i havent tried 5.10's etc so i dont know how mine compare. Grip has seemed to last for a while. Not really noticable wear over 6 months, I reckon that's pretty good.

Overall - 4/5 - Again, i've never tried 5.10's etc but i think these are decently well.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline houston

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 04:20:34 PM »
my kicks right know a champion no names
sort of like pumas

weight  4/5
grip (when i first got them) 5/5
grip (now) 2/5
durability  5/5
cushion 3/5
overall 4/5   

Offline Fly High

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 08:05:17 AM »
ASICS GELL 1120

Weight, 5/5 lightest shoes ive ever had

Cushion, New-5/5, with my poly-sorb insoles-7/5

Durability, good sofar, a week of hard training, and not even the tips of the treads are broken.

Grip, the best ive had, still havent tried 5.10s

Overall,  I like them, they are good all around shoes, and only 80 bucks

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 07:22:42 PM »
My Bare Feet... 1120

Weight- It's almost like I'm wearing nothing on my feet at all. 5/5

Cushion- Perfect amount of cushioning because you really know your limits. Go too big and you'll know it. You will thank yourself when you're in your forties and all your parkour buddies are having their knees and hips replaced... 5/5

Durability- The only footwear that becomes more durable over time! Soon enough you'll be able to run on glass. 5/5

Grip- The best there is. Maybe doesn't hang with some shoes on some surfaces, but they grip better on more different surfaces. 5/5

Sensitivity- No other footwear comes close. 44.872/5

Overall- If you don't train barefoot a lot you will never reach your full potential. The benefits go far, far beyond what I've listed here. My point was to illustrate that your own bare feet are as good or better than any footwear you can don by addressing the points of review that you set up. Do yourself a favor and train barefoot.
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 10:07:10 PM »
I actually had to applaud you for that one travis been training barefoot this month a great deal and man it is a revelation there is some much refining of landing and precision footwork that would just never occur in shoes best training period. 
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 10:16:44 PM »
travis noble + 1
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 07:17:44 PM »
you know how people say land on the balls of your feet for precisions?  barefeet is the best way to make sure that happens cuz if you dont....

Moa

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 05:32:31 PM »
Could somebody who does have 5.10s please post on this i really want to know if they are a great as they are supposed to be.

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 05:44:56 PM »
Merrell chameleon stretch II's

Weight: 3/5 they are heavier than the rest of my shoes but once i have them on i dont notice at all.

Cushion: 5/5 they take so much of my impact on my landings (and i still dont have my gel things in)

Durability: 5/5 they have the vibram sole which is used by the military because it is THE most durable out there.

Grip: 5/5: this is why the merrells are so amazing. I stick to most surfaces except painted cement is a little tricky but that is always tricky with any shoe i have. Also when they get soaked, they lose some of their awesom-ness

Overall: 4.5/5 I love this shoe. Every guy in the springs crew has a pair. Im on my secon pair.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 06:38:12 PM »
Travis beats me to the barefoot

I also train in Steve Madden dress shoes, cheap Wal-Mart dress shoes, Locals slippers [flip-flops], Converse hi-tops, a beat-up pair of cross-trainers with no tread and barefoot. I figure: train in what you normally wear.

There's a lot of rock here, and it tends to be sharp and jagged. Also, kiawe thorns will go through a pair of slippers and into your foot no problem. There are a lot of kiawe and other thorny plants here.

Barefoot's fine, but there's no margin for error. Slippers are slower, try to fall off, but they're light weight and offer some cushion and minimal protection. Dress shoes - fine for little stuff, but give you a false sense of security and offer basically no cushion. They're also heavy. The Maddens are slip on, so they're loose, terrible for climbing. Untrustworthy.

Some day I'll be able to get some decent shoes. Until then, I'll train with what I have.

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 06:53:02 PM »
I, too subscribe to the "train in what you wear" idea. I also believe it is important to train everything opposite. If you train something forwards, do it backwards, left side, right side etc etc... So, converse to barefoot, I train in boots sometimes too. Doing rail balancing with an inch or so of hard rubber under your feet makes it fun and doing everything with boots adds a level of difficulty. Just some thoughts....
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 02:20:20 PM »
If I had boots, I would train in them. I also do most of my training in semi-dress clothes. It's what I have to wear most of the time. If It's really nice clothes I won't PK in it. My wife would not be thrilled if I ripped a good shirt. Of course no rolls...

Training opposite is good, but I find I'm not always ready for it. Especially in dress shoes or rubber slippers. Up is easy, but I'm not fond of jumping down >4'. I'll usually try to find a gentler way to get down. One thing I like about training barefoot is it doesn't leave a lot of heavy scuff marks on surfaces. If I have to land on something [ie a table or platform], I usually don't even have footprints to wipe up.