Author Topic: New program again...  (Read 974 times)

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
New program again...
« on: April 20, 2012, 08:08:30 AM »
Okay, got off a body building program that was 4x a week. It worked, but I just have new goals again.
I have a job as a wildland firefighter so I need to run/hike more. I'm still entertaining the pararescue idea later on, but i figure the wildland are will get me tough.

My objectives is to join a hotshot fire crew in Alaska next year and hear are my goals to impress the BLM guys.

Here are my goals.

1 mile in 5:45 or less
1.5 mile run in 8:30 or less
6 Mile run 43:00 or less

Swimming

500m less than 10 mins
1000m 22 mins

Muscle-ups 5
Push-ups +100
Pull-ups  +20
35 foot rope climb without use of legs
"obsession is a great replacement for talent" -Steve Martin

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
Re: New program again...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 10:26:10 AM »
So...what's the new program?  Do you have a plan yet?
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 07:26:21 PM »
Gonna need to be running long distance 3-4x a week, swimming 2-3x a week, and lifting heavy maybe once, and working endurance exercises 2-3x a week.

I would suggest dropped a bunch of the spread goals like swimming. It's too much to do at once.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 09:11:50 AM »
Okay, so now that I'm up here. PT is mandatory. It's kind of retarded to some extent but here are my numbers now

1.5 mile run is at 9:30 on the spot. Pararescue indoc max is 10:22, but if I can do 8:30 or lower I won't have to exert myself in the runs at all.

Pull-ups were 12. That was after the run and I haven't trained pull-ups in a while.

Push-ups 40 all the way up all the way down. I doubt they actually do full ROM on those test those.

Sit-ups were 86 in three minutes. I'd like to do 100 in two minutes.

---

My schedule will look like this

gtg 6 push-ups a day 5 times . Increase by one every week.

gtg pull-ups 2  a day and 5 times through out the day.

They'll be making me run 4-7 miles where I am at so I'm going to make that a base miles. Two days off which I'll just take completely off of everything. I'll exert myself on the runs about 3x a week. In addition, there will be some p-90x workouts that they'll do if it's raining. Not much choice on how this will play out now, and if there's a fire we'll call that a workout in itself. I'll be back to a normal routine come September where I will start swimming. Swim up to 4,000 meters with fins in 80mins and 500 meter swim I want to somewhere at 10 minutes. I'm going to start training with the triathletes.

Offline Daniel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 11:05:28 AM »
Ok I'm liking how you are doing that for endurance the 2 pull ups over 5 times a day such and such that is a great idea and I think I will steal the idea from you when I'm working this summer because I'm working a hike based summer camp anyway so should be worthwhile
6 challenges completed
No retreat, no surrender. If the obstacle is too big or hard push yourself to overcome it - Me

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
lol that's  a Grease the Groove Method.

Offline Scott Eustice

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:44:19 PM »
I think you are beyond GTG for pushups and pullups.

If you have time for a dedicated workout, I would try try it out for these endurance movements.

When you do this workout is up to you. If you want to focus on pushups and pullups, do them before you run/ swim. If you want to focus on the "cardio" work, do the pushups/ pullups afterwards.

If you don't have time for this, GTG could still work. But you might see better results from a focused workout.

Also, if you are having trouble recovering, GTG would be easier on the body than a workout, so take your recovery into account as well.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 01:49:41 PM by Scott Eustice »

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 07:38:50 PM »
You're probably right. Any idea for a better workout to get the numbers to +100 push-ups and +20 pull-ups? I do gtg just for regular central nervous system.

Offline Scott Eustice

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
I'm not really sure about this, but I imagine that you would want to do 3-5 sets a day, three days a week, for each exercise.

Each set should be around 80-85% of your max reps.

The numbers might be a bit off, but in general, that is how you want to train the endurance exercises.

Also, can you do a muscle-up yet? Because that requires a completely different training style.

You might want to change it to 1 day of total rest, if your body can handle it. Have the former rest day be something lighter than the other days, like just the upper body and mobility work, but no running or swimming.

I have no clue how to program swimming, but I have some experience with running. You are building a base, which is good, but how much of a base do you already have? 4-7 miles can be a lot everyday if you are just getting into running.

If you feel comfortable with the runs, then 1 or 2 times a week you could go for hard workouts.

These could be tempo runs, fartlek runs, runs where you go fast on every uphill you run, track workouts, and so on and so forth. You can get creative with these.

Considering the amount of swimming, lifting, and running you will be doing, I don't think that 3 hard runs a week would be a very good idea. You could get an overuse injury very fast.

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »
You're probably right. Any idea for a better workout to get the numbers to +100 push-ups and +20 pull-ups? I do gtg just for regular central nervous system.

Well, since there is considerable carryover from strength to endurance, I'd normally suggest weighting the pullups...but, you're going to be pretty exhausted on a regular basis.  I know that when I'm training dips and chins with weight, bodyweight reps just increase, but I haven't ran that far in the past year once, and the closest I come to swimming is taking a shower.

With all of the endurance work you're doing, you might just drop enough weight to make all of it easier. :)

Swimming is an efficiency game.  You'll want to study the ins and outs of distance swimming, as a little bit of form improvement goes farther in swimming than in any other form of body movement.  You mentioned working with triathletes, and I'd back that idea for your goal set.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 08:37:13 PM »
well at the moment, i don't have access to a pool so I'm just running because that's what are PT demands. I'll have at least two days for total rest. I don't run as hard as I can everyday. They'll get use to that. I'm not in indoc or any training shit yet so they can f themselves.

I'm planning to get to 170, and I'm 185 now.