Author Topic: Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Brian Dayton

• Patas
  • It's always good to change your perspective.
    • View Profile
Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:41:17 PM »
I am going into the Marines this July and I'm having a bit of trouble with the running portion of the test. I can get perfect scores on the pull ups and sit ups and while I can pass the running portion, I can't seem to get a perfect score, which for those of you who don't know is 3 miles in 18 minutes. I've been doing a lot of running and I am getting better but I was just wondering if anyone had any advice.
I'm gonna show you how great I am.

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
Re: Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:29:49 AM »
Maybe barbell squats and deadlifts. Strength transfers directly over to endurance.

I don't see how interval sprints would help, but for some reason i feel like suggesting them.
10 push ups.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:32:45 AM »
What is your training program over the past couple of weeks look like?
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Julian Vazquez

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »
I wanted to join the Marines, and still do, but they wont take me because of a shoulder injury in high school from when I was wrestling.

I recommend long slow distance training, supplemented by interval sprints; the long slow distance (7-9 miles at a bout a 9-10 minute mile pace at least 4 times a week) will build superior endurance in your heart, lungs, diaphragm, core, and legs. The interval sprints (200 yards sprint, 200 yards walk, for 8 laps around the track) on days you dont do long slow distance will build intense strength in all of the above areas, and together with the improved endurance they'll bring your time down monumentally. When I entered my RSS, I ran a 23 minute 3 miles, but as I continued to run (following the program I just laid out for you) I slowed my running pace to a formation run pace, and ran long distances (ended up hitting 16 miles twice a week at one point in time, and running no less than 9 on days I wasn't running 16). On days I was tired I would just do sprints, and within 2 months I dropped to sub 18.

I haven't ran in a while though; I stopped running once I found out my BUMED got denied. But if you follow that, or somethign similar depending on your current level of fitness, your time will improve.

Offline Brian Dayton

• Patas
  • It's always good to change your perspective.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll put it to good use.
I'm gonna show you how great I am.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:10:14 AM »
LSD is useless.  If you're going to jog, don't do it longer than a few miles, depending on your current level.  2-3 miles max.  1-2 times per week.

Building a strong cardiovascular base is very important.  For 5 km (your distance), you will need HIIT that can stretch up to 1600 m.  A heavy focus on leg strength is also important.

How much training have had before?  We need to determine that before we do anything else.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »
LSD is useless.  If you're going to jog, don't do it longer than a few miles, depending on your current level.  2-3 miles max.  1-2 times per week.

Not if he needs significant time improvements

Though LSD in terms of what people go to the gym to do vs. working slightly below LAC threshold is different.

Needs likely 2-3 mile runs building up to 3 maybe 4 and 5 mile runs 3-4 times a week
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 07:49:41 AM »
LSD is useful if one of your goals is running longer periods of time. For instance if you're not running at all light running 5 days a week will build your CNS.

My only worry with the running part is keeping form good and getting the right shoes.
"obsession is a great replacement for talent" -Steve Martin

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 04:32:21 PM »
Not if he needs significant time improvements

Though LSD in terms of what people go to the gym to do vs. working slightly below LAC threshold is different.

Needs likely 2-3 mile runs building up to 3 maybe 4 and 5 mile runs 3-4 times a week

Right, I meant jogging is something you don't do for long periods.  It's like a recovery activity.

---

We still do need those figures on what you've been doing so we can determine what volume/intensity is required.