Author Topic: Michael's workout journal-  (Read 2766 times)

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Michael's workout journal-
« on: April 05, 2012, 02:09:45 AM »
Okay, I'm going to start this so other people can look over what I do in a day, give me advice, etc... And also so I don't have to buy a new notebook for it. Basic layout will be any general conditioning, then whatever technique training [if any] I do.

So, today-
10 mile bike ride, 1 hour
50 pushups, sets of ten with 20-30 second intervals between.
40 reps both hands with 140 lb grip strength trainer, sets of 10

Maybe some more pushups in a bit, maybe not.  No technique training today.

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Michael's workout journal-
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:38:29 AM »
Alright, today I rode my bike home from work again- That's a ten mile ride, one hour overall. After I got home, I did 50 pushups, slightly longer intervals today [30-45 seconds]. I also did a handful of quasi-pullups, but I didn't let myself all the way back down each time so I don't think they count.

As for technique, I learned that climbing trees at night is a BAD IDEA, even if the moon is bright. Fortunately, the only cost was my pride and a small scrape in my armpit region, and it wouldn't have even been that if I hadn't panicked when I realized I couldn't find the foothold I used to get up. Also started working on my Kongs- I've not got anything I can really vault over at home, so I just practiced getting my feet up over what I was supporting my weight on. I'll have to look for something to actually vault this weekend- Maybe there's a suitable dead tree in the woods out back or something.

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:46:43 AM »
I'll gladly help with advice, but need well defined goals first.

Sounds like you're pretty driven.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 02:54:29 AM »
Hmmm. Well defined goals, huh? Well, I'd like to get conditioned to the point where I can do 100 pushups, 20 pullups, and 250 squats in a single set for strength training, and I also want to be able to jog for 30-45 minutes straight at about 10 MPH. Those are more long term goals I guess- Right now, I can generally do 25-30 pushups in a set, and 50 squats, and my best run was two miles over twenty minutes [I'm not sure how fast I can expect progress, honestly- Hopefully it won't take too long]

As for technique, I plan on starting by learning all the basic vaults and drilling them into muscle memory to the point they're second nature before learning tricks and flips and stuff. Working on the Kong right now, as it seemed like the most basic and it kinda moves into the cat leap later on.

Possibly an odd goal for technique, but I had the idea of doing a sort of pull up into a kong vault movement- basically, just grabbing and throwing yourself over a ledge with your arms. I'd like to be able to do that, but I'm aware it would require absolutely ridiculous upper body strength, so that's definitely a long term goal rather than a short one

I'm sorry if I'm a bit incoherent, but I was about to go to bed

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »
Well, I had a long day at work yesterday- I suppose our supervisor decided we weren't being productive enough, because we got a *surprise* 14.5 hour shift. Needless to say, after standing on my feet cutting chicken for more than half a day, I didn't really get any excercise done. Unless you count deboning chicken thighs as excercise, which I don't.

Today, I looked around in the woods out back a bit. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have any decent obstacles on our property or right next to, and considering the general attitude towards trespassing around here, I didn't really feel like pushing my luck looking deeper into the woods. So that leaves me with two potential hurdles- my dad's old truck, and the picket fence around the dog's pen. I tried the truck a few times, but wasn't able to get the height I would need to do a kong into the back. So, for lack of a better option, I have a new immediate goal- Increase my jump height by about a foot and a half. Now I just need to find a good way of doing that.

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:33:10 AM »
I'd have posted sooner but the screen on my laptop broke, and I just got it set up to use the TV instead. So, last few days from memory-

On sunday, I tried out a couple ways to increase my jump height- Squats, jumping over and over again, stuff that. Over the course of the evening I did 100 squats, 4 sets of 10 while holding a 40 lb weight and three sets of 25, 20, and 15. I also tried running into a forward roll, which wasn't very difficult but I have a lot of practice rolling from kung fu training.

Monday, I biked ten miles then ran/walked to the cemetery and back. I don't have a good measurement of how far that is, but it took me a good twenty minutes. I'm going to try and drop that to ten.

Tuesday, I biked ten miles then did 50 pushups [1-30, 4-5], 25 situps, and 50 squats.

Tonight, I biked ten miles then ran/walked to the cemetery and back again, about 15-18 minutes [I didn't look closely at the clock before leaving, it was either :50 or :53].

And now for a new statement of goals, preferrably more coherently-
This tuesday, I talked to the navy recruiter. I want to join up for a few different reasons, but they can all be summed up into two different groups.
1] My job SUCKS, but it's the only game in town. Really.
2] The navy has good pay and benefits, such as education and travel.

So, the guy tells me that I need to drop about 30 lbs before I can get in. Thus, number one goal-
1] Drop fifty pounds. This way, not only do I get in by something more than the skin of my teeth, I'll be able to bulk back up with pure lean muscle after.

In addition, when asked I was told the requirements for graduating boot camp were to be able to run a mile and a half in twelve minutes and do 65 pushups and 50 situps in two minutes each. Like the previous goal, I'm going to overshoot on goals 2, 3, and 4-
2] Be able to run two miles in twelve minutes
3&4] Be able to do 100 pushups/situps in 2 minutes each.

So, knowing this, I'm going to ask for some advice- Does anyone have any hints as for how to build muscular endurance while lowering weight? I don't want to do something stupid and burn my muscles out or something.

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 12:50:59 AM »
Today- Biked home ten miles, did fifty pushups [2-20 1-10] and felt too tired to do any more, as well as slightly nauseous... I think I cut my calories a little too short today. I'll have to remember not to do that in future.

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 12:55:45 AM »
I've read that workouts are more effective if you make them more difficult and stagger them. From now on I'll be doing two serious strength workouts and one cardio workout a week, rather than roughly equal nightly workouts. In addition, I'll stop mentioning the bike ride home every night.

Tonight was strength training. I did 150 squats, 60 holding a 40 lb dumbell, breakdown 2-40 1-30 2-20, with the first twenty squats in the sets of fourty and thirty holding the dumbell. After, I did 50 pushups, one set of thirty and two sets of ten. Going to lift the fourty a bit, take a shower, and go to bed.

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 01:43:23 AM »
Holy shit, I feel like I'm sweating butter.

Tonight-
200 squats, 1-50 6-25
100 pushups, 1-30 2-20 3-10

I was going to throw some situps in as well, but I don't know if I can do more then a few right now... Hell with it, I'm gonna do some. BRB.

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 01:50:19 AM »
Well, I managed to make it almost through the second set of twenty before my leg started cramping. That's enough for tonight, I'ma shower and have a bannana or two.

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 12:56:19 AM »
Well, tonight's theme is cardio. Or it was supposed to be. Unfortunately, about halfway through my run my asthma, which hasn't bothered me for about two years, decided that NOW was a good time to pop in and say hi. I was able to finish my run, although I had to switch to run/walk intervals, but now I'm rather light headed. I suppose serious cardio work will have to wait until after I find the doctor I got prescriptions from and, well, get more prescriptions from her. I'm going to lie down and stare at the ceiling for a while now, until I catch my breath at least. Ten thousand times damned asthma.

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 03:19:33 AM »
Five hundred squats, sets of 25 with ~5 minute breaks between

Busy most of the day, so I just fit that in while playing video games.

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 03:49:20 AM »
Hi, Michael

Been reading your journal and I couldn't help but to think RESPECT. Running through an asthma attack is no joke. Never experienced one myself, but I've seen people crumble before it.

As for your goals, any reason you want to do 250 squats/100 push-ups/20 pull-ups? Where are you now in terms of those goals?
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 07:40:10 PM »
Well, for the most part it's an arbitrary goal- Like I said, I asked the navy recruiter the requirements for passing boot camp, and decided to go a step or three beyond for my goals. As for how far I am- Well, I'll check once I'm done with this post.

Asthma can get pretty bad. Fortunately, the attack I had wasn't terrible- Just some tightness, enough to make breathing a chore. I've found that doctor's name, and I'm planning to set up a meeting with her sometime, but I've got a busy week ahead.

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 07:47:21 PM »
okay, 35 pushups, 30 situps, and... Only thirty squats? Eh, I'll blame that on yesterday's workout.

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 02:03:21 AM »
Tonight was cardio. This time, I dug up some of my older asthma meds and a rescue inhaler, took a tablet of singlulair, a generic decongestant, and a few puffs of the quick acting muscle relaxant in the inhaler. Now, I didn't have a timer for any of this, so times are estimated, but I think I got this roughly accurate

</= 1 min- quick run to the corner and back, I'm guessing about 75-100 meters
1 min- jumping jacks
2 min- Making a fool of myself trying to jump rope
< 1 min- roughly ten squat-hops

Unfortunately, due to late work and my bike starting to show the > 2000 miles I've used it [Pedals are coming loose] I didn't have enough time to do more than that. Fortunately, I managed to work up a good sweat even in the short time I had. Throw in an hour an a half of struggling with a cantankerous bicycle if you want, even if that only really exercised my sense of frustration.

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Guess who's back?
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »
Welp. Been a while, but I'm back.

Why I left? ... Suffice to say, work got overwhelming for a while there. I've still been working out, and I think I'm at a much better point then I was a year ago.

Now that I'm back, I'll probably transcribe my physical journal onto here on a weekly basis.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 06:28:31 PM »
Welcome back ;D
Always happy to see another training log
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time
Twitter