Author Topic: How to improve the esthetics of my parkour  (Read 3998 times)

Acekingpk

How to improve the esthetics of my parkour
« on: March 25, 2012, 04:48:13 AM »
Hi! I train myself outside for 8 months and now I want improve the esthetics of my parkour, especially when I run I seem very clumsy. Verily, this is a defect that I've from when I was a child, also when I was a child I looked clumsy. How can I improve that?

Here is a video of me:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II7miAUISGQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II7miAUISGQ</a>

Offline Paul Exter

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: How to improve the esthetics of my parkour
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:11:04 AM »
Let your arms relax more when running so they seem natural. In the video you are running with them rather straight, let them bend naturally to make it feel/look better.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:03:59 AM »
Aesthetics are a sign of mastery. All you can do is work towards perfecting your movements, and your own personal aesthetics will arise. You'll never move like Ilabaca or Vigroux, because that's not your body type. But you will develop very good aesthetics as a part of your regular training according to your body. Just strive for perfect control, silence, and concentration with your movements. Relaxation and letting go of your body will play a big role, but those things don't come until you're comfortable. Which takes time.

So your answer, there's no instant solution! Be patient, keep training. :)

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 12:38:47 PM »
In addition to what Adam said, I'd like to add that mostly what you will develop in that journey is relaxation.  To be able to move with you entire body relaxed into the correct posture, tensing only the muscles that are being used to generate the motion is to achieve fluid movement.

I suggest you work on some basics: running, precisions, etc. every time you train and concentrate on feeling your body.  Is there unnecessary tension anywhere?  Are you flexing muscles that you could relax?  Are the various muscle groups working together in the correct rhythm?  Do this with very simple moves concentrate first on feeling what's happening, then later on correcting any errors.

Good luck.   

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 06:44:05 PM »
Adam and Brett really said most of what I was going to suggest; there's nothing really that we can tell you to make your own movement more aesthetically pleasing for yourself and others. Even if we did make specific suggestions for adapting and improving eccentricities in your movement, you wouldn't be any nearer to relaxed and comfortable movement, because instead of focusing on doing what feels right, you would be preoccupied in how your movement looks from an outsider's perspective. Drill basics and try to break each movement down to its core and the simplest form and become comfortable and relaxed whilst engaged in any movement, and take it slowly from there. Good luck!

Acekingpk

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:45:44 AM »
Drill basics and try to break each movement down to its core and the simplest form and become comfortable and relaxed whilst engaged in any movement, and take it slowly from there

Sorry, I'm not a native english-speaking...can you tell me more simply what you wrote in the quote? I'm not sure I understand well...

Thanks to everyone   ::)

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:46:28 PM »
Sorry, I'm not a native english-speaking...can you tell me more simply what you wrote in the quote? I'm not sure I understand well...

Thanks to everyone   ::)

I think he was saying... take the moves apart and study each aspect. Master simple moves, then build from there
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 04:54:19 PM »

Jason pretty much said it for me. Train the simplest form of each movement, and then progress into more difficult things in time.

Offline brandon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 02:46:10 AM »
Everyone above me is on the spot
One other thing to note is your power. When you do movements (especially plyos and strides) your power affects the speed you complete the movement and the effort you need to put into it. When you do strides and your legs are not powerful, you have to flail your arms to compensate for your lack of strength. When you do plyos with weak legs they are slow and don't flow. There are two sides to power strength and speed. If you are really strong but slow your movement looks sluggish and heavy. If you are fast but weak you look like your on the verge of collapsing when you make contact with a wall. Think about your first strides and plyos when you just began, they were probably wobbly and all over the place. I used to collapse on strides all the time until i built up the power to handle them, you have to go beyond the point of being able to do a movement to being able to do it effortlessly to see that gracefulness. like a weightlifter who starts and barely puts up 200lbs. But  when he gets his max to 400 he can put 200 up likes its nothing