Author Topic: Yet another dude looking for W/O routine help  (Read 407 times)

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
Yet another dude looking for W/O routine help
« on: March 22, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »
Okay.

First- I recently had Surgery on an Inguinal Hernia (Groin) a little more than 3 weeks ago. So, weight training will be out of the question for about another month. However, I can do body weight, aerobic and cardio workouts now (Gotta be gentle)

Goals.

Long Term- To Run the Half Marathon again in November. Tough Mudder in Sept. (10+ mile obstical course). Get much better at Parkour

Short term- Build my core strength back up as well as my explosive speed and strength. (G.D. Injury and Surgery have me feeling like I've never ran before)

Should I focus exclusivly on speed and power for the next for months? Then start working on endurance say at the End of summer?

If you were in my shoes (V.F.F.'s)... What would your program look like?
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Tony

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another dude looking for W/O routine help
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 01:24:39 PM »
Something that helped me build my workout from scratch (as a beginner) was a few websites. I don't know if you have experience with working out, but you probably have telling by your goals. Something I learned too, try to make your goals numbers.

So instead of having just a long term goal of a half marathon. Try working short term for multiple goals. Run a couple miles a week, then add another mile the next week(s), and go from there.

And with strength, try to set goals with numbers there also.  Try to get benchmarks for your goals.

Here are some websites I used for mine. I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to parkour and working out, but these websites are pretty good.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/a/NewCore.htm
bodybuilding.com
http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/a/weight101_2.htm
Kansas.

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 07:41:06 AM »
If I were in your shoes and recovering from an Inguinal Hernia, I'd chill and just do extremely light work until I could reasonably take up squatting and deadlifting (WITH A BELT, for the love of all that is Holy.)

If you aggravate the hernia, you'll just be setting yourself back further.  Check with your physician on when you can take up reasonable work under loads.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 08:04:57 AM »
Doc says that I can start doing body weight around around 4 weeks(bout where im at) and weight in about 2 months. So Basically I want to build a base for when I start lifting again as to avoid possible lifting injury.

I should get a belt. And I've been taking it easy for about 3 weeks
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 03:17:46 PM »
Half marathon... heh. You should be running some steady state at least 3-4x a week preferably for a couple of miles up to 3-5 once you get better.

Actually a decent goal while you heal tbh.

Can't really do much with strength since you have the inguinal hernia so I'd focus on that for now. If you can do stuff like dips and pullups with it being OK I would do that too. But listen to your doc on everything... setbacks with those type of injuries SUCK.

Running should also help recovery of your hernia by getting lots of blood flow to the area.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book