Author Topic: Cold Drinks, are bad for health.  (Read 4961 times)

Offline Domenicc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Cold Drinks, are bad for health.
« on: March 13, 2012, 03:25:00 AM »
Hi,
I want to know about the cold drinks.Is it bad for health, if we use the regular cold drinks.
So, Any expert person please share here.Thanks in advance.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Drinks, are bad for health.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:25:05 PM »
Did somebody tell you this? It's kinda a weird question.

You'll want to avoid cold drinks if your teeth are sensitive, but other than that, I've never heard anything about this.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »
No.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Nick

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 07:43:06 PM »
Hi,
I want to know about the cold drinks.Is it bad for health, if we use the regular cold drinks.
So, Any expert person please share here.Thanks in advance.

There is a huge debate over it, some people will say yes, some will say no. I pulled this from a website
"Some doctors suggest that room temperature or body temperature water is better than cold water, because the body has to expend energy to heat cold water to body temperature, resulting in some water loss"

Also, my cousin who is a nurse also said the same thing, however, she did say it wasn't 100 % proven. I hope this helped!

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:31:16 PM »
Then, drink more cold water...

I'm always amazed at the new-found "answers" to health.  Exactly how many calories are expended heating up this cold water?  I can assure you it's not enough to be concerned with unless you are on the verge of total starvation anyhow.

Let's take a second to insert some common sense into this:  The primitive Inuit people of Alaska have managed just fine on a diet that is high in fats, and what I'm imagining is a pretty extreme level of cold water.  How different are you physically from them?

When someone says something that relates to "health and fitness," always take the time to think about it from a logical perspective before taking it seriously.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Nick

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 02:39:14 AM »

I'm always amazed at the new-found "answers" to health.  Exactly how many calories are expended heating up this cold water?  I can assure you it's not enough to be concerned with unless you are on the verge of total starvation anyhow.

Let's take a second to insert some common sense into this:  The primitive Inuit people of Alaska have managed just fine on a diet that is high in fats, and what I'm imagining is a pretty extreme level of cold water.  How different are you physically from them?

When someone says something that relates to "health and fitness," always take the time to think about it from a logical perspective before taking it seriously.

Well, I was just trying to say the facts behind it. If he believes it or not is up to him

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 04:17:53 AM »
There is a huge debate over it, some people will say yes, some will say no. I pulled this from a website
"Some doctors suggest that room temperature or body temperature water is better than cold water, because the body has to expend energy to heat cold water to body temperature, resulting in some water loss"

Also, my cousin who is a nurse also said the same thing, however, she did say it wasn't 100 % proven. I hope this helped!

No.

----

This is so ridiculous I don't even...

Offline Ryan Fletcher

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • "Go Hard or Go Home"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:12:51 AM »

I'm always amazed at the new-found "answers" to health.  Exactly how many calories are expended heating up this cold water?

That's exactly what I thought XD. Unfortunately, the calories shown on the back of a candy bar wrapper are actually kilocalories (1,000 calories. I hope I spelled it right) so drinking a glass of cold water would burn off very little.
    Now, cold water may cause organs to contract slightly the same way that cold showers do (which does some minute damage if it is rapid, like it is when you jump into a hot tub) and the cold may temporarily stunt the efficiency of certain organs very temporarily, but it's so minimal that it really shouldn't matter.
    I don't think cold drinks are a problem.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:14:43 AM by Ryan Fletcher »
"Clocks are heartless and dreams are terminally I'll. Don't put if off until tomorrow."
- Calvin Crenshaw

Offline Nick

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
----

This is so ridiculous I don't even...

Is there something wrong with posting information, nowhere did I say it was bad, I just said why some people say it can be, but I'm not saying there is a huge problem with drinking cold water. I didn't even give an opinion

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 03:40:34 PM »
Is there something wrong with posting information, nowhere did I say it was bad, I just said why some people say it can be, but I'm not saying there is a huge problem with drinking cold water. I didn't even give an opinion

What information?  The "I pulled this from a website," part?  It isn't in any reviewed study, it hasn't been studied by people who care about truth in results...it's something that you heard somewhere.

The other day, I ran across a website that claimed that we are all the disembodied space aliens' souls trapped here.  The two discussions have exactly the same amount of supporting evidence.

The other part of this that really eats at my sanity is that the people that I generally meet who spout off things like this do "herbal cleanse" fasts, and then are eating a McDonald's Big Mac 3 weeks later.  I'm not saying that this is the case with your "cousin who is a nurse," so don't take it that way.  I'm just saying that it's nonsense.(1)

(1)Source: Life.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »
There's no debate.

It's ridiculous because cold water in a body that's too warm will help cool it down and preserve energy.  Hot water in a body that's too cool will help heat it up and also preserve energy.

Cold water in a body with a normal temperature may cool the person down by a tenth of a degree, probably not anywhere near enough to cause the body to generate any extra heat to compensate (do you shiver when you drink a glass of cold water?).  Even if it did, the energy expenditure would be insignificant.

Offline Ryan Fletcher

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • "Go Hard or Go Home"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »
    We're all friends here, lol. Nick, you're right that some people will say yes and some people will say no. It's my personal opinion that the theory doesn't hold water (pun intended. I admit it with shame).
    Then again, people thought Galileo was being ridiculous when he said the "The World! She is around!" ...or  maybe I'm just quoting Bug's Bunny. In which case, it was probably ridiculous...

Point is, we learn something new every day. I suggest looking it up. If you find something, definitely put it up and cite your source. If drinking cold water during a workout is bad for you, we'd love to know about it. ;)
"Clocks are heartless and dreams are terminally I'll. Don't put if off until tomorrow."
- Calvin Crenshaw

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 03:20:36 AM »
It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact.

Galileo had evidence and observation to support his theory, people thought him ridiculous and rejected his work because of superstition.

Offline Ryan Fletcher

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • "Go Hard or Go Home"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 07:28:19 AM »
    The main point of my post was to help Nick not to take it personally. I worked a forum for 3-4 years and I've seen hundreds of people leave over small things.
    Let's treat Nick like part of the family, please.
- Calvin Crenshaw

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 01:01:49 PM »
Okay, I've been off forum for a while and this is kinda why.

1- Running water via streams and rivers (which man kind has always drank from) are colder then the "room temperature" 78 degrees so that's just a silly thought that we should drink room temp water. Unless you're saying we drank stagnit water. Derp??

2- The warming of water in the stomach is a chemical reaction and requires little if any caloric output.

OP, sorry I'm not trying to troll you but bits of randomness like this can go a long way. "Tonight on Dateline! Cold water is Killing your kids!!" Anyone who slings these little jewels should be flogged for insighting stupidity.

Have a nice day
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Marc McLeod

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 06:02:03 PM »
Okay what you're talking about more has to do with digestion of foods cold water is fine when not eating or using to digest food some people have problems with excessive heat loss in the abdominal region which can be induced by having too much cold water about a gallon will do it consumed within about an hour or two when you're not sweating. Depending on activity level this leads too an inability to digest foods in the small intestine as the molecules in the food are not spread out enough to react at a desirable rate so unless you consistently feel freezing after drinking a lot of water then it's probably not a problem for you and is nothing too worry about. Symptoms include lack of energy appetite and constant bloating.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 02:10:22 PM »
Okay what you're talking about more has to do with digestion of foods cold water is fine when not eating or using to digest food some people have problems with excessive heat loss in the abdominal region which can be induced by having too much cold water about a gallon will do it consumed within about an hour or two when you're not sweating. Depending on activity level this leads too an inability to digest foods in the small intestine as the molecules in the food are not spread out enough to react at a desirable rate so unless you consistently feel freezing after drinking a lot of water then it's probably not a problem for you and is nothing too worry about. Symptoms include lack of energy appetite and constant bloating.

This is clearly wrong as water does not significantly dilute the acid to digest, nor does it denature enzymes that break down foods that are involved with digestion.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Waltraud Welsch

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 09:53:39 PM »
Interesting topic. I personally think that cold drinks are just fine for our health especially in a hot day unless it contaminated with some harmful bacteria.

Offline Otis

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 10:53:49 AM »
Yes, too much cold drinks can be bad for the teeth health and throat health and lead to cough, and throat problems.
Too much cold drinks also affect the metabolism and cause the stomach problems.
So it will be better to take the normal water rather then using too much ice or cold drinks.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
How does it cause teeth problems? What effect does it have on the throat? How can it possibly affect metabolism to any significant degree? If you have a legitimate source for this information I'd love to read it, but otherwise it just sounds like nonsense.