Author Topic: Why we should train to take falls  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Brandon Goddard

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Why we should train to take falls
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:03:13 PM »
Hi guys. Tonight I was working on standard wall flips (started training back flipping tricks again last week for the first time since I injured my back) and I screwed up.

As I explain in the video I kicked my Achilles tendon with my kicking leg and it knocked my foot out from under me. I lost all flipping momentum and freaked out and ended up throwing it all messed up.  For the past couple of months I have been training stunt falls: back, side, front, etc. so that I could condition and train my body to be able to take falls.

This easily both saved me from serious injury (landing on head and/or neck) or possible death. Please listen to the first part and all, because that is where the lesson is. (PS: my spotter is a great spotter [as I explain in the video and description] and if you know how to spot then you will know he did everything he could. Just mentioning it because I don't want anyone to think differently).

But the point of this is the following: PLEASE train yourself to be able to take falls and be safe. I am OK solely because I did that. Please don't let a fall like this stop your career short, ruin your life, or end your life.

Thank you,
Brandon Goddard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf-HROe0Dd4&feature=youtu.be
Confidence. Control. Technique.

Offline Jordan Bates

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Why we should train to take falls
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »
Never fun to see someone take a fall like that..

Where would one find information about training these falls?

Offline Brandon Goddard

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:02:32 PM »
Yeah, but I ended up being alright (so far anyway haha)

Unfortunately I'm not really sure  :-\
I learned from my coach. Perhaps we should make a video explaining them to help others...
Confidence. Control. Technique.

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:16:57 AM »
Search Ukemi online.
10 push ups.

Offline Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Fight or Flight Academy
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:26:45 AM »
Wow...I just want to point out that your spotter was not doing his job there.  You probably would have been even better off without the spotter.

This is why I want to start teaching spotting seminars to freerunners.  This happens way too much.

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:32:35 AM »
Wow...I just want to point out that your spotter was not doing his job there.  You probably would have been even better off without the spotter.

This is why I want to start teaching spotting seminars to freerunners.  This happens way too much.

In fairness, you shouldn't make a statement like that without a reasoning of why you feel/think that way.

Can you explain in some detail?
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,14576.180.html

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Rolls, falls, etc. (I should re-name that thread...)
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,38383.0.html

Don't you think this is a bit redundant? There are already a number of threads concerning this exact topic.
No offense, but this seems like another repeat of the same ol', same ol'.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »
Did you check it out first/already? Or just make an assumption?
I already said in the thread that I was not sure if there was a similar thread as I have looked through the forums and not found one.

Okay,

So, your "How to Fall" thread is essentially using videos and tutorials on various rolls. Just rolls. Basic to advanced....parkour to martial arts....various rolls and surfaces....just rolls.

Noting that, it seems that you didn't do a comprehensive search on falling, rolls, roll pains, different rolls, landing rolls, different surfaces for which to roll, etc. Not only could you go to APK home page and click on Tutorials then search for Rolls (getting the basic and advanced how to step by step), but you can also go to the Movement Thread (where it is described as "Discuss specific movements and techniques here.") click on the Parkour child board at the top and search for "roll".

Really, it is the only reasonable place to discuss and research about falling or rolling. There is a place for everything, and (here is where I have to defend the moderators who get asked the same basic questions or get suggestions about the same basic issues over and over) it has been talked about in every way over and over. There are SO many threads about it that all you have to do is search in the designated area, and you will find a plethora of information regarding virtually everything and anything you want to know or talk about.

I am not trying to be a jerk, dog you, or put you down. I am just stating that this thread you created is a prime example of what happens when people don't look before they post. It's like people jumping into a discussion 7pages in without reading any prior post and rehashing or restating something that is now irrelevant.

Sometimes I miss topics, too. I will post and a moderator will let me know that the topic has already be discussed for which (when I validate what they tell me) I offer for them to lock or close the thread. It keeps it clear and directs the traffic regarding that topic to a more efficient thread.

Prime example of my post without extensive search would be my Vegan Diet Thread. I am not a Vegan, but when I searched the dietary discussions on the forums I only found vegetarian discussions. The two types of which being Vegetarians who do drink milk and eat eggs and the Vegetarians who do not.
  Vegans are strict about what they eat (nothing that has come from an animal-don't eat anything with a face). So, I -not seeing a Vegan Diet thread- made one. The problem was that the important bits about vegan vs meat/vegan diet as an athlete has already been hit on for the most part in the Vegetarian Diet threads regarding the Vegetarians that don't eat eggs or drink milk. Seeing this, I requested for it to be dismissed. And it was.

Do you see where I am coming from? By no means am I attacking you. I just feel that it is an equal right of all members to do their research before adding something to save the forums from extra repetitive threads.

Cheers!
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!

Offline Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Fight or Flight Academy
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
In fairness, you shouldn't make a statement like that without a reasoning of why you feel/think that way.

Can you explain in some detail?

I'd love to explain.  I've been spotting gymnastics and freerunning for over 10 years and I see this mistake more often than any and it's not so much a technical mistake as it is a mental mistake.  When you are spotting someone you are 100% responsible for that persons safety.  You need to be fully committed to a spot even if you are sure the person will make it because you never know when something might go wrong (this video is a perfect example).  If you are only going to half way spot someone because you are "sure they will make it anyway"...you shouldn't even be there.  Either spot or don't spot, but a half spot is just a great way to cause someone to fall down.

Also in this particular video there's a bit of a technique problem in that he is spotting with a full outstretched hand.  How much weight can you really catch from that high of a fall on the end of your outstretched arm?  Just imagine a 150 or 180 pound sand bag falling from 3 feet above you.  How are you going to stop it?  Certainly not with just your hand.  You should always stay close to the flipping person spotting with more of your upper arm and shoulder...then you can save a life.  What the spotter did in this video with his back hand by giving more rotation flipping the legs is technically correct, but without the extra support of his other hand only ended up throwing him more on his neck than he would have landed without the spot.

I've got some spotting technique in this old wallflip tutorial I made.  Notice how I spot with my entire arm and not just an out reaching hand.  (spotting starts at about 1:00)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGXkUdJyVHQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGXkUdJyVHQ</a> 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:49:00 PM by Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc) »

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 11:32:04 AM »
I'd love to explain.  I've been spotting gymnastics and freerunning for over 10 years and I see this mistake more often than any and it's not so much a technical mistake as it is a mental mistake.  When you are spotting someone you are 100% responsible for that persons safety.  You need to be fully committed to a spot even if you are sure the person will make it because you never know when something might go wrong (this video is a perfect example).  If you are only going to half way spot someone because you are "sure they will make it anyway"...you shouldn't even be there.  Either spot or don't spot, but a half spot is just a great way to cause someone to fall down.

Also in this particular video there's a bit of a technique problem in that he is spotting with a full outstretched hand.  How much weight can you really catch from that high of a fall on the end of your outstretched arm?  Just imagine a 150 or 180 pound sand back falling from 3 feet above you.  How are you going to stop it?  Certainly not with just your hand.  You should always stay close to the flipping person spotting with more of your upper arm and shoulder...then you can save a life.  What the spotter did in this video with his back hand by giving more rotation flipping the legs is technically correct, but without the extra support of his other hand only ended up throwing him more on his neck than he would have landed without the spot.

I've got some spotting technique in this old wallflip tutorial I made.  Notice how I spot with my entire arm and not just an out reaching hand.  (spotting starts at about 1:00)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGXkUdJyVHQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGXkUdJyVHQ</a>

Ugh... I love it!

Thanks for the explanation!

Cheers!
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!