Author Topic: Tips for Kong, Dash, and jumping/landing please? (Help)  (Read 1637 times)

Offline House3272

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Tips for Kong, Dash, and jumping/landing please? (Help)
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:29:18 PM »
Hi, I'm pretty much a beginner and I was just wondering if someone can give me some tips about the 3 movements listed above.

For the Kong vault, I've been at it for a while and through careful examinations, I've notice I haven't been doing it really....
As soon as my arms extend to whatever I'm kong-ing over, they seem to try to push and swing my body instead of simply pushing off.
Thus it feels like my head + torso just sits there momentarily and waits for my legs to come, but as soon as they do, I'm not quite sure why, but I feel like I must swing them out to the sides to push through the movement. I can do the kong in a fashion that resembles what I've seen in videos at a gym, but not in real life.
It just feels...awkward. I'm not sure if I've explained enough. What I said could be the ideal feelings for all I know.

As for the dash, I was just simply wondering how to raise the legs higher. The most I can muster is 0/180 degrees, or horizontal. And that's if I'm not tired. I'm not muscular, only fit and well....yea fit. Pretty darn fit, no cut abs or anything. So I was wondering is there something you gotta do like lean back more, or look up or something? Or is it an muscle related thing? Like i can't even feel my abs saying they can't lift my legs, it just feels like something else isn't right. Ideas?

Same thing for jumping/landing. I've watched and it seems most of the time, people go into a landing at an angle with their legs more in front than their head to absorb the shock better, since you're not moving straight down but have some forward motion I'm assuming. But again, I can't seem to do this. Is this a practice thing, or muscular related?

Thanks in advanced!

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
Re: Tips for Kong, Dash, and jumping/landing please? (Help)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »
For the Kong vault, I've been at it for a while and through careful examinations, I've notice I haven't been doing it really....
As soon as my arms extend to whatever I'm kong-ing over, they seem to try to push and swing my body instead of simply pushing off.
Thus it feels like my head + torso just sits there momentarily and waits for my legs to come, but as soon as they do, I'm not quite sure why, but I feel like I must swing them out to the sides to push through the movement. I can do the kong in a fashion that resembles what I've seen in videos at a gym, but not in real life.
It just feels...awkward. I'm not sure if I've explained enough. What I said could be the ideal feelings for all I know.

Start small. Train your kongs on something tiny, and try not to dive too much in the beginning. You need to focus on pushing out and off of the obstacle once you come in contact with it. A good way to try to get this to work is by getting something small (as in not a long distance depth-wise) and take off from right in front of it. Rather than diving out towards it, jump as close to it as you can and try to push off and get as much distance after the vault as possible.

As for the dash, I was just simply wondering how to raise the legs higher. The most I can muster is 0/180 degrees, or horizontal. And that's if I'm not tired. I'm not muscular, only fit and well....yea fit. Pretty darn fit, no cut abs or anything. So I was wondering is there something you gotta do like lean back more, or look up or something? Or is it an muscle related thing? Like i can't even feel my abs saying they can't lift my legs, it just feels like something else isn't right. Ideas?

This doesn't seem like a muscular thing, especially if you say that you don't feel like you're unable to lift your legs. For me, I would guess you aren't trusting yourself enough to relax into the movement as much as you need to. Essentially, you need to swing one leg up and let that carry your body. Your legs should be parallel to the ground, ideally. I wouldn't suggest leaning your torso back quite as far, but you definitely need to sit back into the vault and trust your arms to catch and carry you over the obstacle. Imagine yourself kicking your legs up as if you are going to sit down on the obstacle, but then catch yourself with your hands and push off before your butt every touches down.

Same thing for jumping/landing. I've watched and it seems most of the time, people go into a landing at an angle with their legs more in front than their head to absorb the shock better, since you're not moving straight down but have some forward motion I'm assuming. But again, I can't seem to do this. Is this a practice thing, or muscular related?

This may be somewhat of a misconception on your part. Generally, you want to do the opposite when landing. Rather than having your legs in front of your body (which will cause your weight to be shifted backwards, and drive most of the vertical force from the drop into your heels/joints), you want to be leaning forward into the landing so that you're ready to convert the momentum to horizontal by either a solid landing or a roll as well. Don't sit back on your heels when landing; this can be really dangerous.

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78tONkkrPL4
Kong + Precision physics

Kongs, Notice his head is in front of his hips the whole time, If you lean back you will accidentally do a kash (kong+dash) vault, meaning your distance from your kong will be terrible. Key to this move is learning forward the whole time, and proper progression, don't be afraid to kong smaller objects if larger objects are scary to kong.

As for the precision, he puts his legs in front of him to block the forward momentum so he could stick the precision, It's easiest to stick a precision if you put your legs out in front of you, absorb, and stand up while keeping your spine straight up and down perpendicular to the ground. Also, ALWAYS land on the balls of your feet.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:13:53 AM by Grip »
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Anthony Hadouken

• Mangabey
  • nor cal parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:36:00 AM »
i just taught my friend how to do a kong and now he has it on lock down, so heres how i will explain this,
1 get comfortable doing a run up handstand on the obstacle
2 once you feel good about it, your gonna run at it, with your shoulders kinda down and as parallel to the obstacle as you can
3 superman dive, flick your feet up while you dive, you have to commit to it, but the key to it,in my opinion, is getting your feet  higher than you shoulders
4 your hands will land, with your feet still above your shoulders,keeping your head up and spotting the landing, then push back with your hands, head up, bring your knees to you chest
5 land
i find that keeping your feet above you shoulders turns your body into a spring because you snap your legs to your chest, good luck man, let me know how it goes
pain is weakness leaving the body

Offline Memitchi

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 02:24:40 PM »

I don't suggest trying that.... >_>

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
i just taught my friend how to do a kong and now he has it on lock down, so heres how i will explain this,
2 once you feel good about it, your gonna run at it, with your shoulders kinda down and as parallel to the obstacle as you can
3 superman dive, flick your feet up while you dive, you have to commit to it, but the key to it,in my opinion, is getting your feet  higher than you shoulders
4 your hands will land, with your feet still above your shoulders,keeping your head up and spotting the landing, then push back with your hands, head up, bring your knees to you chest
5 land
i find that keeping your feet above you shoulders turns your body into a spring because you snap your legs to your chest, good luck man, let me know how it goes

While I'm sure this method of training will work for some, I'm not sure it's the safest route to take, especially if training alone.

@OP, try checking out these tutorials:
Kong Vault Tutorial
Dash Vault Tutorial
Parkour Landing Tutorial

Offline Anthony Hadouken

• Mangabey
  • nor cal parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:07:44 PM »
i dont mean like full extension handstand, just get use to getting your feet above your shoulders while your hands are on the obstacle, so like, put your hands on what you want to kong and just start jumping and flicking your feet up, in my opinion committing to the dive is like 60% of it, and dont try it on anything big at first, try doing just the corner of a picnic table and slowly start doing more of the table as you feel comfortable, but only do these things if you believe you can do it, hesitation is the main enemy of a kong

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:46:37 PM »
Try this tutorial: Kong Vault Tutorial

The quick answer for landings: Make sure you're extending your feet, almost like pointing your toes. Landings should feel soft, smooth, and quiet.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:49:11 PM by Andy Keller »
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Anthony Hadouken

• Mangabey
  • nor cal parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 01:43:27 AM »
Try this tutorial: Kong Vault Tutorial

The quick answer for landings: Make sure you're extending your feet, almost like pointing your toes. Landings should feel soft, smooth, and quiet.
see what hes doing in the beginning thats what i mean by run up handstand, great tutorial