Author Topic: Progression, and the Loss of...  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Dustin Combs

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Progression, and the Loss of...
« on: January 27, 2012, 05:52:30 PM »
How do you keep track of your progression?
Some just keep it to themselves, and see what they could use to do compared to what they can do now. Some make videos to show where they're at, and compare it to later videos.
Unfortunately... My 2011 showreel, and HUGE mark of progression that I had just made, has been taken down of YouTube. I made the video on my friends computer, so I asked him for the original file to try and make it non copyrighted... He deleted it :/ It's saved on my iPod, but that's it. I can't do anything with it there. And I have no way of showing other's it unless I'm physically with them, and have my iPod on me :/ What would  you do? Just move on? :/ It sucks...
Just wanted to post and such, see what y'all have to say. Anything similar ever happen to anyone here?

Offline Memitchi

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Progression, and the Loss of...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 06:00:50 PM »
It's never happened to me, but you can get it off your iPod. Why not just plug it in to your computer and pull it off?

Offline Dustin Combs

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:05:23 PM »
I tried.
But i guess I'm doing it wrong, cause it's just not working. :/

Offline tibo

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 01:52:25 AM »
what did you do to try and take it from your ipod?
i know itunes doesnt let you go ipod -> computer
a program called bearshare lets you do that, try it
It's only impossible if you think it is
No one was gifted anything, they fought for it...
if you think you have a problem then you do[

Offline Dustin Combs

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 05:47:41 AM »
My friend told me i could click and drag it into a separate playlist and it'd be onto iTunes also.
but. Bearshare? Alrighty. Thank you. :)

Offline Stephen

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
I track my progression with what I do. Sometimes I'll record certain things that I just got down and I think are cool, but I mostly feel my progression.

To put it simply, if I walk up to an obstacle, I can just feel what I'm capable of doing on/over it. Its a mental thing I guess you could say.

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »
I write down my achievements and my workouts.
usually record randomly and watch myself to study what I need to improve on.
WIP

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 11:00:59 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CLflSQIFD8
If i had a camera with that high of quality, i would train every day just to record stuff.

Recording yourself is an excellent way to keep motivated, you'll always want to make a better youtube video.
Once you love your video, 3 weeks later, you'll look at it and think your form is terrible and you can do much better, so you record yourself and make a new video you are satisfied with for about 3 weeks.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:03:33 PM by Grip »
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:15:16 PM »
I understand that you would like the video as a keep-sake for your training and progression, but not being able to show others the progress that you made shouldn't be a big concern. Train for yourself and strive to better yourself for your own sake, not for a video's sake.

Offline Dustin Combs

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 07:43:26 AM »
The showing others part is just because I'm proud to show them my improvement, and show how much I've progressed. Now, don't get me wrong, that's not a major part as to why i want it back, it just is another reason in general. It is a keep sake, hence why it's on my iPod in the first place.
but. Writing down goals sounds like a solid plan. :) And that was an extremely nice quality camera :3
and feeling the progression is nice :3 With recording i also show it ;D Haha.  I enjoy recording to help me see what i have improved on, and what i need to improve on :)

Offline Derek

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 01:07:17 PM »
Go to: my computer-> (what ever your iPod is called) there will be one file. Open it. There should be one more. Open it. (i cant remember how many folders there r. There should only be one per window. Just keep opening files till u see ur pictures) Then there should be all ur pics and vids. Just drag ur video off of it and copy it.

Offline Dustin Combs

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 09:02:46 PM »
Go to: my computer-> (what ever your iPod is called) there will be one file. Open it. There should be one more. Open it. (i cant remember how many folders there r. There should only be one per window. Just keep opening files till u see ur pictures) Then there should be all ur pics and vids. Just drag ur video off of it and copy it.
:O I shall try this. Thank you, good sir :3

Offline 7Erik7

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • A CALL TO ARMS
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 03:11:47 AM »
Personally, I raraly record my achievements. If its a techniqal achievement I may record it in order to see how I can improve it, and then I either delete it or save it in my computer. For me its very personal. I don't feel any need to show off my 'latest move' to others. I sometimes show it to fellow practitioners thats I train with but thats about it. I try to keep it to myself. With that said, I am not very fond of the parkour movie culture today. To many videos seems to uploaded for one reason: to be proud of yourself and your achievements.

I think thats why I rarely watch parkour videos today. Its seems to much about ego boost than anything else. That makes me wonder if people would practice as much if the internet didnt exist and if their methods would change. Another reason is that It often seems accompanied with hiphop, fisheye lens, acrobatics, sloppy landings, and a 360 degree rotation after a landing. Also I want to express myself truthfully and while videos can indeed inspire, they can also create this kinda schoolbook method when you end up looking at other and copy.
In general, I dont think a video shows how good you are in parkour. It simply shows the physical and technical bit of it.

In order to make sure I progress I have diffrent ways of training. I often aim for hard training. Because if I am comfortable with what I do I learn less. If I only do whats hard I progress more.  But progression for me also means longlivity in the practise, and also the mental progression. So for me I feel how much I progress. I try to mix mental training, physical training, techniqal with both serious ones and playfull ones
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:14:29 AM by 7Erik7 »

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 01:30:34 PM »
Go get a cheap lined empty notepad. Write what you did and how you felt when you did it. Also keep a record of what you ate and any conditioning you did.
Document for a month
Look back
Celebrate cause you became more.
10 push ups.

Offline Dustin Combs

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 02:54:06 PM »
@Erik:
(Didn't wanna quote, for that was quite a wall of text :P Haha)
Why do you feel like it's wrong with being prideful in your progression? I'm extremely proud of how much I've grown as a traceur... Recording does help me show it, IMO. But I do respect your views.

Truthfully, there have been a few sessions where I refused to record a single thing because I just felt like it was something I wanted to keep to myself. I enjoy those sessions. But I also enjoy being able to record.

Go get a cheap lined empty notepad. Write what you did and how you felt when you did it. Also keep a record of what you ate and any conditioning you did.
Document for a month
Look back
I do really wanna try this. :o

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 05:48:31 PM »
Document for a month
Look back

...you have a training journal on this site. Essentially the same thing ;)

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »
But this one you can show your children and it will have your blood sweat and tears on it. Just saying. Also its easier to carry and keep with you while your training. Where as the computer is more for the end of the day.
10 push ups.

Offline 7Erik7

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • A CALL TO ARMS
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 09:27:57 AM »
Dustin, I am proud of myself. It's good that you are that aswell because you should. I think everyone feel happy about it. But when I begun training I recorded all my achievements, I told it to friends, and so on. Then I realized why I did it. It was just for myself, just to boost my own ego. I felt good about it. I think bragging is a weakness in the mind. If you really know what you're capable of, and if you really trust yourself, I think there is no need to brag and impress others. I just don't have to anymore because I feel free and I am aware of my own drives to impress others. I am aware that humans are competitive in their nature and have an automatic drive to impress others (especially the opposite sex) but I refuse to. Its just a choice I make. For me, my training is personal. I do a lot of things that I never utter a word about. Of course I discuss my training with friends but I always question myself before I do something. Why should I tell this? Why should I do this? If the answer inside me is in order to impress, I neglect it instantly.  I'd rather help others with their training instead of showing off what I can do which some people maybe can't do. That's why I don't like the parkour videoculture today where many videos seems to be a way to show what you're capable of rather than sending a message that isn't linked to yourself.

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 07:47:49 PM »
I think now, the only reason I'd ever want to grow popular with the parkour community (or with anyone, in fact) is so that others would begin to look up to me. If that were to happen, I could share what I feel should be the right way to live life, have fun, and make decisions.

There are a lot of people out there that are telling the wrong message, whether they're traceurs or not. A majority of people will only give me the opportunity to speak out to them if they know who I am and what I've done or what I CAN do. It seems wrong, but to be honest, would you listen to someone who's giving philosophical advice and goes back five minutes later to ignoring their own words, or someone who actively lives a life that they teach?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline Dustin Combs

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »

...you have a training journal on this site. Essentially the same thing ;)
Essentially, you are correct :3 :P
But, as said:
But this one you can show your children and it will have your blood sweat and tears on it. Just saying. Also its easier to carry and keep with you while your training. Where as the computer is more for the end of the day.
That's why I feel like I should try it sometime...
I do try to keep a regular update on my journal here though. Thanks for the reminder :P

@Erik:
Good :) And thanks :3
And ego boost isn't something I try to look for, granted, yes, I have before. But now that I've gotten over the whole "I CAN DO A BACK FLIP!" phase, I feel like I am also over the whole ego ordeal. I do look to my friends for motivation, in which case showing them my videos tends to get them to be like: "Good job, keep it up!" or something of the like, and some actually go into details and such... That, as odd as it may be, inspires me.
But I do feel the need to think of the questions you ask yourself before I start telling others of my training, maybe :P Haha.

@Nick:
But what is your right way might not be the next guys... ya know? I mean, I get what you're saying there, but... At the same time? lol You get me? :O
If I may ask what do you mean by:
It seems wrong, but to be honest, would you listen to someone who's giving philosophical advice and goes back five minutes later to ignoring their own words, or someone who actively lives a life that they teach?
Elaborate, please, if you do not mind? :)