Author Topic: I want to do long distance running as well as Parkour, is this possible?  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Cameron Branning

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
I have always been a Cross Country runner (5k, 3.1 miles), but I have recently been interested in long distance races such as Marathons and Ultramarathons. I have been training Parkour for about the past year and I know that a lot of Parkour is focused on explosive strength as opposed to endurance. My question is, will training for very long distances limit my ability to use explosive strength in parkour?

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: I want to do long distance running as well as Parkour, is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:12:03 AM »
Only if you let it.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline Hsad

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • ダッシュ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »
I'm training for a marathon in March and have been running XC for six years.  I have never observed a reduction in my abilities from it, but I feel it would be safe to assume that if you intend to completely master either parkour or long distance the other will suffer, but beyond that you should be fine.

-Dash
Science fiction is the only fiction that can become true.

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:56:04 AM »
Yeah, If your working on marathons your PK is gonna suffer a little. There really is no way around it. While training for 26.2 miles you will lose muscle mass, upper body strength and explosive power in your legs. It's simply because you cant eat enough or train enough to support both unless you have lots of money or sponsors. Over a course of maybe 2 years you could equal them out, but if you want to do a Marathon in under 5 hours this year you'll need to focus on that.

Unless of course you can afford to do 2 a days almost everyday and eat 7000 Healthy calories a day and sleep 10 hours a night. Most people live in a world where that isn't possible unfortunately

However, The real point of marathons isn't really to win, it's to beat your mind when it says stop. If you don't NEED to run the whole race in 4 hours and just want to finish (which is an amazing feeling just to finish) you can probably do both. Might just consider half marathons or 10 K's though, I've found these to be more fun and less stress while still being a great challenge. As well, there are plenty of 10 k obstacle course races these days (Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, etc.)

Good luck either way
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Cameron Branning

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »
I've looked into the Obstacle 10ks and will probably attempt one sometime. I don't have any urge to win these races, I'm content with completing them to the best of my abilities. I was reading a book called "Ultra Marathon Man" by Dean Karnazes in which he talks about being one of the few long distance runners who has a lot of muscle mass. His reasoning is that he may not be the fastest due to his muscle mass, but he can run longer than most of his competitors. Would this be a viable strategy?

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »
You may do both, but one will hinder the other. Also, make sure you have a decent amount of rest days for your body to recover (assuming that long distance running plus parkour may lean to some issues later on without proper rest).

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 06:41:10 PM »
I have always been a Cross Country runner (5k, 3.1 miles), but I have recently been interested in long distance races such as Marathons and Ultramarathons. I have been training Parkour for about the past year and I know that a lot of Parkour is focused on explosive strength as opposed to endurance. My question is, will training for very long distances limit my ability to use explosive strength in parkour?

Watch this. If nothing else, it's a really cool video and really a really inspiring challenge that Johnny is putting himself through. Hopefully you get a little something more out of it.

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »
Watch this. If nothing else, it's a really cool video and really a really inspiring challenge that Johnny is putting himself through. Hopefully you get a little something more out of it.

I just watched this. Awesome video. I love the energy, It's not super high but a calm collected "this is what were doing" vibe. Very cool
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline mali90

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
just wonderful, interesting post!