Author Topic: Hesitation  (Read 639 times)

Offline nuclearapplepie

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Hesitation
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »
I started doing precisions at this 7-8ish gap. At first it took me 30 minutes to be able to jump up and another week jumping up to be able to jump down. Now it's not really scary anymore, but for some reason I keep hesitating. I found myself mentally counting toward the actual jump itself, and I ended up standing there flapping my arms and doing half-squat like an idiot. Some days I count less, some days I count more. Sometimes I can FEEL that I can jump when I get to that count, but ended up going over before I get angry and actually make it. It's not scary, it's not intimidating, but for some reason I just CAN'T jump at will and I have to will myself to do it.

I figure that I'm not used to the jumping technique yet, and the landing place is kind of small, and maybe because I have some bad landing and get scared. But I just want to be able to get rid of the annoying mental counting toward the jump, it just take so much time off training! If you guys have any tips to mentally overcoming fear of precisions, that would be appreciated.

Offline Sam Dutton

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Hesitation
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:34:57 PM »
I would make sure you can easily jump the distance on the ground first, then make absolutely sure you can land on thin things well. If you can't easily jump the distance it is harder to land, and if you can't land, well, you fall.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Hesitation
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 04:40:41 PM »
I figure that I'm not used to the jumping technique yet, and the landing place is kind of small, and maybe because I have some bad landing and get scared. But I just want to be able to get rid of the annoying mental counting toward the jump, it just take so much time off training! If you guys have any tips to mentally overcoming fear of precisions, that would be appreciated.
Put a blind-fold on and start training, or make a sort of make-shift blinder set, and train; reducing your field of vision or eliminating it can enable you to focus elsewhere. Obviously to me you're relying heavily on vision, and just as well you're over-thinking the process. If you think you're going to be injured you will, if you think you're going to suceed you will, that's basic Karma for you.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.