Author Topic: Refusal to Teach...  (Read 6078 times)

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Refusal to Teach...
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 06:17:49 PM »
One word:

LoL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 09:46:43 AM »
^Spambot again?

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 03:13:41 PM »
^Spambot again?
accidentally posted twice is all, imo
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,14576.180.html

Offline Skye

• Ambassador
  • Mangabey
  • o.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 03:45:06 PM »
accidentally posted twice is all, imo

Yeah but its taken word for word from what nick said here:

It even sounds like halfway through he started DEMANDING that you teach him, so that's 100% reason to say no.

and the second post has a link to roofing materials. Ima have to say spam myself.
ME:  "I'm a graphic artist."
HIM: "whats that? What do you do?"
ME:   "well actually it can be pretty hard, i have to  code and..." (getting all technical with my words on what i do."
HIM:  "blank Stare"
ME: "I make pretty pictures..."

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 04:00:59 PM »
Sure is a spam attempt fail too.

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 05:56:30 PM »
good eye. I over looked the link.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!

Offline Sean Au

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2011, 06:47:12 AM »
These type of people are usually the ones that will end up better than you in a short time.

Sadly from personal experience.

Offline Philip

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 08:41:26 AM »
So, he came back out today while I was training, and he started following me and trying to mimic me without saying anything. I decided I was going to have a little fun with it and I started rolling, rolling, and rolling some more. I turned around and saw how pissed he was and I almost laughed. I guess something got to him and he tried to roll, but slammed his feet down too hard and shocked his ankle and hopped back to his apartment. I kinda feel bad for laughing, but he could have avoided it if he just asked me to show him.
ha.

Offline NOS - from Parkour Mumbai

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Mumbai
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 12:19:17 PM »
These type of people are usually the ones that will end up better than you in a short time.

Sadly from personal experience.
Yes, I've seen it happen myself.

But then just console yourself with this - you're the one who will still endure and remain around after 10 years (or after you're past 35), whereas these guys will all be out of Parkour just as quickly, within a few short years, with various joint overuse injuries. Take my word for it.

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2011, 06:19:44 AM »
Yes, I've seen it happen myself.

But then just console yourself with this - you're the one who will still endure and remain around after 10 years (or after you're past 35), whereas these guys will all be out of Parkour just as quickly, within a few short years, with various joint overuse injuries. Take my word for it.

100% agreed
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!

Offline Eric Reynolds

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »
the hardest part of training for me is how people to react to you. they usually have one of four responses: 1. woah! thats awesome. 2. stop climbing around. 3. can you teach me that? 4. Hardcore parkour! (making fun of you). the second and fourth are the hardest to me, because i have a strong head and a fiery temper. how you react to people reacting to you is how people perceive parkour. if you want it to get like skateboarding, where there are signs preventing it, react badly. if you want people to come to terms with it, react well. make this your mantra when somebody doesnt approve of your actions.

Offline shovon dds

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2011, 01:46:11 AM »
On-road kits can hit high speeds and they look like the cars you see on racetracks and streets around the world. With four-wheel drive (4WD), these on-road cars are easy to drive and you can get realistic treaded tires and bodies for scale realism. However, if you want a car that can drive off your curb or over holes in the road, then you should look for an off-road.

saving on energy

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »
^ SPAMBOTZILLA
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!

Offline Ryan Courtney

• Patas
  • Even if the morrow is barren of promises
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2011, 12:13:18 PM »
I wish the spam bots would at least give us interesting stories that made sense....

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 11:42:48 AM »
the hardest part of training for me is how people to react to you. they usually have one of four responses: 1. woah! thats awesome. 2. stop climbing around. 3. can you teach me that? 4. Hardcore parkour! (making fun of you). the second and fourth are the hardest to me, because i have a strong head and a fiery temper. how you react to people reacting to you is how people perceive parkour. if you want it to get like skateboarding, where there are signs preventing it, react badly. if you want people to come to terms with it, react well. make this your mantra when somebody doesnt approve of your actions.

Something like a mix of all of them happened to me before, I was training and these girls (black girls) came up to me and asked if I was training for like a competition or something, I laughed it off but that faded once I showed them a lazy vault and they tried it. Form was good, but they were too busy laughing cause it's was SO funny to them that I'm doing repetitious vaults off a low wall to master the move. I just let karma handle the situation.
WIP

Offline Sean Au

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 05:08:03 AM »
Obviously if your movement doesn't look cool people will laugh at you.

You can't just keep drilling the same thing over again, once you are good move on to next level shit.

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 05:40:06 AM »

You can't just keep drilling the same thing over again, once you are good move on to next level shit.

With you saying that, is it about looking cool or preventing further injury by drilling technique to master status?
WIP

Offline Ryan Courtney

• Patas
  • Even if the morrow is barren of promises
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 10:27:30 AM »

If you move on too soon, you'll mess up and bust your ass. Then people will laugh even harder.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 01:11:10 PM »
I don't think it's just a refusal to teach that needs to be taken into light here, it's also a refusal to apease others. The same ethics can be applied to both situations, just different.

When teaching you obviously need to teach the cornerstones, I mean how delightful would it be if you could just make people learn by telling them to a do a backflip? Obviously they'd probably hurt themselves the first try and could very well end up a vegetable, "Clearly you should have started with basics, but you wanted to learn something flashy first..."

The other day I was refreshing myself on my vaults, a group of kids kept yelling "Do a back-flip you pussy!" Upon approaching them I inquired, "Why should I do a backflip?" "'Cuz it's cool..." "Well guess what, I can't do a back-flip." "'Cuz you suck *racial slur*," "Yes, in your eyes I do, but in my eyes I'm the master of practicality, and if I could do a back-flip, I still wouldn't do one, because I don't want to impress somebody who couldn't begin to fathom the training I've done." "Whatever bitch."

When I was done training I walked on top of a picnic table, yelled to them, did a backlfip, then I backflipped them off. Who was I trying to appease here? Obviously myself because I got to show them up, as opposed to show off.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline karl harlone

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 01:50:14 PM »
2. stop climbing around. the second and fourth are the hardest to me, because i have a strong head and a fiery temper.

Same here I seriously hate old hags at the school who see me go up a building and call security on me, or tell me to stop, like they own the place. I had a guy come up to me once saying I "scared" his children out of the park. I swear I woulda ended up in jail that day if I let my temper get to me. If he said that to me in my home country, I woulda f*ed him up, whooped his kids, and bribed the cops.