Author Topic: Discovery  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Discovery
« on: October 04, 2011, 02:54:56 PM »
I think there are important things to be said on preserving the aspect of discovery in teaching others.

It seems common for people to basically ask, "Well how can I get them to see what I see in parkour?" That's predominantly one of the main concerns.

It's important to understand the reality that... you can't. You can't tell people what's most important. You can't tell people what their favorite video is.

So how do you be an unbiased tool to aid their training without controlling it? I want people carrying on the same innovation that's influenced my love of parkour since the beginning, watching the boundary being pushed by Oleg, Chase, and Danny (getting all nostalgic, watching them now). Do you guys in your local groups take time to watch this stuff? The guys I have started working with have no idea who these people are and I feel it will may a negative impact on their training.

Yet again, I want them to discover these things for themselves, otherwise it may never become their own and I feel like I could ruin it by forcing it on them.

Thoughts? Am I on to something? Am I totally crazy?
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
Re: Discovery
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 03:46:07 PM »
I totally get what you mean. But maybe in a way this is progression and we "old timers" are reluctant to it because we can't see the whole picture. I think its important to keep certain things in mind though and they should see them, but as a whole the increase of practicioners will change the sport whether we want it to or not.

The question is can we show these to them and will it help them even though they won't ever see it like me. And can I get past that.

Just my $0.03
10 push ups.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:44:55 PM »
[...] but as a whole the increase of practitioners will change the sport whether we want it to or not.
I believe everybody thinks in similar ways. Not the same, but similar veins of logic leads people to similar realizations. Especially in traceurs. This is true, but I hope it's "progress" and not just "change." It's our job as leaders or just straight-up predecessors to act as continuing inspiration for the upcoming generations of traceurs. Most people won't be an Ilabaca or an Armitage, but that still doesn't diminish their possible role. Sure there are Red Bull competitions which will do weird and possibly unpredictable things now, but we still have Youtube, one of the most powerful forces on the planet in the parkour world.

The question is can we show these to them and will it help them even though they won't ever see it like me. And can I get past that.
Exactly. I have the urge to, but then I imagine it being just like the education system... cramming information into somebody when they really don't want it. Hardly any of it is retained and it doesn't have anywhere near the desired effect. On the other hand, when somebody passionately seeks out information, the results are unmatched.

I guess that's essentially the answer then? As hard as you want to pass it on, you really just have to do what you do and wait. Increase your exposure to the people around you, but let them come to you.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 07:53:59 AM »
I think some small manipulation is possible though.
10 push ups.