Author Topic: Flipping Mental Block  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Levi Porter

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Flipping Mental Block
« on: September 26, 2011, 12:36:08 PM »
Hey I'm trying to learn the frontflip and backflip if possible, and I just can't get myself to do them on ground. Into a pool, I do frontflips perfectly with a great height, tuck, and everything, and backflips too, because I almost land on my back after completing the backflip, but on ground, my mind kind of stops me from doing it last second! I got myself to do the frontflip twice, but both were bad. The first I didn't bother jumping OR tucking so i landed on my back, and the second I jumped, but didn't tuck, landed on my feet, but fell back. It didn't feel right to me anyway. I haven't tried the backflip on ground in a while, but when i last did, I flipped, but hit my face on the ground pretty hard. I KNOW I can do them into a pool, but somehow I can't get myself to do them correctly (if at all) on ground. How do i get over this mental block? (btw I don't have a pool, it was at a friends)

Thanks,
Levi

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Flipping Mental Block
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 12:39:23 PM »
go to a gym and do it into a foam pit, then put a mat on the foam pit
then do it on spring floor then on grass, then concrete
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Joseph Troy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 12:38:39 PM »
try a trampoline. it might help get you used to the fact that there is a "ground" of sorts. a pool is no good since it puts your mind into a state where it knows you'll be "ok," it's just a dunk in some water. the trampoline has a lot less give than water and once your mind realizes that, you'll really start paying attention to the small details and that's where it counts.

keep us up to date on your progress.
Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Member

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:44:30 PM »
try a trampoline. it might help get you used to the fact that there is a "ground" of sorts. a pool is no good since it puts your mind into a state where it knows you'll be "ok," it's just a dunk in some water. the trampoline has a lot less give than water and once your mind realizes that, you'll really start paying attention to the small details and that's where it counts.

keep us up to date on your progress.

Trampolines messed me up when I was learning standing back flips. The give on it seduces you into bouncing before jumping. This ruins you on a solid surface. I would suggest going with how Grip said.
If you can't go to a gym, get some mats or something. Have a spotter. Remember technique and go for it.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌▌
Now this is happening!
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,14576.180.html

Offline Levi Porter

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:50:48 PM »
Unfortunately i have no trampoline access where I just moved, and when I did try them on trampolines a few months ago, I tried it without a bounce and got it perfect, but when I jumped from the metal edge (which doesn't have any bounce at all to it) onto the trampoline, I landed on my feet+hands+face, just like I did when I tried it on ground. Gyms don't seem to be a common thing in small towns of Louisiana, so I don't know where I'll be able to find one.

Btw when trying to frontflip again today, I once again last second bailed, and jumped up but just landed on my hands+knees. same as usual.

I don't know too many people around here yet to spot me, and my dad would probably never spot for me, but I'll try to find someone...

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 05:52:07 PM »
Yeah, I would just keep on keepin' on man. It's rough. You will get a break soon enough, bud. Good luck!
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌▌
Now this is happening!

Offline Levi Porter

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »
a pool is no good since it puts your mind into a state where it knows you'll be "ok," it's just a dunk in some water.

But since I can physically finish the flip before hitting the water's surface, can't I be able to use the same technique for on ground? But yea I'll still have to get over the fear...

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 06:50:05 PM »
But since I can physically finish the flip before hitting the water's surface, can't I be able to use the same technique for on ground? But yea I'll still have to get over the fear...

When jumping into a pit, a pool, or from a higher surface it is generally best to OVER rotate. That way you know you have enough drive when you're on a hard surface with no give or air time.
Over rotation into a pool, on a trampoline, into a gym pit, or off of a high surface onto a soft plane is optimal. Keep at it. Drive your knees into your chest harder, faster. Really try to work on squats and weighted squats as well as deep squats to lateral jumps to get a higher peak. Pistols and Glute/Ham Raises (GHR's) work as well. Jump high vertically and tuck hard into your chest. Good luck.
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌▌
Now this is happening!

Offline Levi Porter

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »
So those listed exercises increase jump height? Or only general leg strength? Btw I usually over rotate on both my flips into pools.
The thing about any weighted exercises though is that I have no access to that equipment and stuff, being only 14, and not part of my football team, and without the knowledge of any gyms around, all I have is a pair of 8 lb weight things xD Which is why I'm also struggling to find a way to build upper body strength through bodyweight exercises. That rules out the weighted and deep squats I guess. Now pistols, they are just tough!

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »
So those listed exercises increase jump height? Or only general leg strength? Btw I usually over rotate on both my flips into pools.
The thing about any weighted exercises though is that I have no access to that equipment and stuff, being only 14, and not part of my football team, and without the knowledge of any gyms around, all I have is a pair of 8 lb weight things xD Which is why I'm also struggling to find a way to build upper body strength through bodyweight exercises. That rules out the weighted and deep squats I guess. Now pistols, they are just tough!

Check out my training journal on my signature. Last bit of page five and all of page six.
Also, if you live in the US there is bound to be a gym near you. Google it.
I have no weights over 10# and I have a 8month old daughter. I am a stay at home dad who has alot on his plate. I know you have more time than I do and just as many resources. It all has to do with where you look. Anyway, the advice is in my training journal.
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌▌
Now this is happening!

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 08:17:50 PM »
Unfortunately i have no trampoline access where I just moved
I don't think you are looking hard enough
go to your town on google maps and type in 'gymnastics' 
And look at each gymnastics place's website and see if they have open gym, maybe call them to see if they have open gym
also you can type in 'cheer' and every cheer gym i've seen so far has open gym times, and they have a spring floor and mats to crash on, along with a tumble track. although Cheer floor are usually less padded than gymnastics floors.
YMCA's usually also have open gyms for gymnastics

If a gym is smart, they will have open gym times, because they make money doing absolutely nothing.
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Zak Howard

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 04:18:11 PM »
yeah, Trampolines are a no go. They spoil you Hoorribly. I got a friend who can't do a backflip on a trampoline but can on the ground, while i can on the trampoline and can't on the ground. I get absolutely No height anymore. Just all rotation. and it Suuucks... Alot.. Ha

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »
Start bouncing less on the trampoline when back flipping, then do it standing with very little bounce on the trampoline. Try to do a backflip on the trampoline that is lower than one you would do if you did it on ground.

then on ground, Jump as high as you can, and tuck as hard as you can, and land it.

Get angry at your fears, only try the move if you can picture yourself doing it in your head, Preferably after studying a lot of youtube tutorials and breaking down slow motion videos of the move in your head, and go for it!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:12:01 AM by Grip »

Offline Swa

• Patas
  • Life's short, make fun of it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 10:39:52 PM »
I taught my friend a standing back starting with the tramp, and he does it just fine with great technique.  The tramp can be a very useful tool if used correctly, so dont get the misconception that it will mess you up, because it wont unless you go about it the wrong way.  I like to use it for learning bigger moves like doubles and such, because the timing to open is SO much more different then single moves.  If you dont have access to a tramp, thats perfectly okay.  You may need to just grow a pair (which can help you much more) or get a good spotter.  I forced my friend (previously mentioned) to do the first, because i can't always be there to spot him.  He is getting much better now, because its all in the determination.

If you have a gym you can use, USE IT.  No shame in a safe enviorment :)

have a nice day