Author Topic: Antioxidants.... quantifiable?  (Read 482 times)

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Antioxidants.... quantifiable?
« on: August 30, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »
So everyone love antioxidants...

Honestly, what is weird though is why do you never see anything about "This food has more antioxidants than this food." You'd have to think it was sketch if it wasn't so popular. It just "has" antioxidants. There's no milligrammage, ppm... nothing.

Are they quantifiable? Why not?

I understand the concept behind antioxidants... oxidative damage and what it does. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals. Unless I'm missing something, based on simple idea of reactants and products, they probably have a quantifiable amount that will get "used up."

If you really wanted to, would you try to just add up your tocopherols, polyphenols, carotenoids, etc. to get some quantifiable amount?

I'm sure you'll never have to actually think about it if you're eating correctly anyway, but I'm just curious.

And assuming you are eating correctly, would you ever really need your tea or 70%+ cacao chocolate for more antioxidants or is it just an excuse to eat chocolate? :P
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Re: Antioxidants.... quantifiable?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 04:34:12 PM »
They are quantifiable, except companies don't put them on the package.

It's more like a marketing thing tbh just like how stuff is "organic" or "grass fed"

We want facts as consumers but companies don't give it to us; so, basically you have to eat real foods lest you eat garbage
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
Re: Antioxidants.... quantifiable?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 04:51:15 AM »
And let's also be reminded that vitamins A,C, and E are all antioxidants