Author Topic: real indoor parkour gym....what do you think?  (Read 21782 times)

Offline Tenka

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: real indoor parkour gym....what do you think?
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 12:34:44 PM »
YES!!!!!! This place sounds like it's gonna be sikk! I've always wanted something like a cage lining the walls and ceiling of my house so I could get around without even touching the floor. The first aid is definitely a good investment. I may be moving in July but, I don't think I'll be leaving Denver. Im in.
Honor In LIfe - Honor In Death

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 01:51:10 PM »
Sounds awesome. Sometimes when i can drive, and get the chance. A trek from KY must happen.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline Joey Marion

• Guenons
  • J'adore le parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 03:07:29 PM »
would it be open gym all the time? or will it be open gym like 2-3 days a week, and then classes the other 4 days, like most other gyms? I think what you could do with this is have two sections of the gym. One section of it is for people taking classes becasue you will need some serious money to make this so running training classes all the time would be helpful. The other section(s) could be for open gym with different obstacles that are sort  of permanent.

with the small section you have for people learning, it doesnt have to be big because for each session you could just change them out. If you do make it, you can make some serious profit out of it, and make people happy. will you give discounts to people from apk forums? =D
www.ArizonaParkour.com  -Arizona Parkour Website in production

Join now =D

Offline bama

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 04:30:14 PM »
well. I am certainly pleased with all the responses that I am getting. you guys are great.

to answer a few of the latest questions:

we will be able to figure out the exact schedualing and spacing once its built.  there will most certainly be an adult open gym every day. as far as the money it will take to keep the place running......well thats a big bag of chips. but let me see if I can give you guys the abbridged version.  between all of the different disciplines involved, the parkour section will only need about 60 people that attend on a regular basis in order to stay afloat. that doesnt mean sixty memberships. that means sixty people divided between classes, open gym (regulars), and private sessions.
it all makes sense when you see the big picture.

Offline matt marshall

• Patas
  • yippie kay yay muddafugga
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 09:30:39 PM »
all good and fine from what i see so far except for one minor detail.  and not to be rude just to be critical.  why are you asking for ideas now if the thing is six months away?  how do you have a budget if you still dont know exactly what you are going to have?  is the place even started on costruction?  6 months is not that long to build stuff it takes longer than that to build a house.  or is it allready built and yer just gonna lease if so where do you have in mind, if so a more definitive answer would be cool like an address.  40' by 50'  thats like ten feet longer than a gymnastics spring floor with the same width.  and forty feet tall?  $400,000 thats a cool number and people with that much money dont just throw it at every yahoo that says "hey dude i got an idea", they wouldnt have the money if they did.  i guess what im really getting to is that id like to really hear a no hype no exaggerrated or speculative response.  pretend im someone you want to give you money.  tell me how where and a real timeline that you have approved and established and who buy cause this all sounds really sketchy to me.  id prefer to believe in you but i just cant with what youve posted so far.  a gym is a good idea, a great one.  youre making what you have so far to be more than just an idea and getting a few people awfully worked up.  so do right by the world and come out with your plan, make me believe. 

and its officially a dick move to ask people for ideas on a huge project and not offer consultation reimbursment.
i hunt ninjas! bitches.

Offline houston

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 09:40:59 PM »
i have basic plans for something i have been wanting to build for some time in my back yard
manly for practicing basic "moves" for the urban environment
i can try and send them if you want but there on paper
and would be much more easier to understand if it is explained

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 07:10:42 PM »
I also see some problems with this whole prospect.

How could someone invest over $400,000 into a gym that is largely centered around parkour without typing in "parkour" into Google and coming across Colorado Parkour or American Parkour? If I was investing that much into an emerging activity, I would enlist the help and expertise of the most prominent local/national parkour individuals and organizations. Its been shown time and time again that gymnastics and other similar gyms' success depends on the human and reputational resources of the gym, not the financial or physical. In other words, I would build my parkour gym around the knowledge and reputations of prominent parkour individuals and organizations, not an outrageous budget and physical resources such as property, facility, and equipment.

Bama, I will not say that you are not qualified to handle such a daunting task in the development of parkour because I barely even know you. I have only trained and hung out with you a few times. But I will say that you have isolated yourself from the rest of Colorado Parkour and have been invisible in the online, national, and worldwide parkour communities. I think that because of this, you have missed out on a lot of relationships, connections, knowledge, and experience to do something like this. I hope that is not the case, but right now, I am skeptical of you and your staff's experience and knowledge to teach parkour, devise "ranking systems" and curriculums, promote parkour in an accurate and positive manner, prepare people to safely and efficiently practice parkour on their own, and more.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but right now, I think it is justified. I haven't seen anything from you and your crew to suggest otherwise. Until I see any proof or evidence to suggest otherwise, I will remain skeptical and cautious to endorse or associate myself with this project.

Offline bama

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 06:55:03 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have told you guys from the beginning that this thing was up in the air and that launch date was completely just tossed out there. You guys are talking like I have put the entire budget and all of the work we've done up for your personal review. You guys have got no Idea what’s going on. I was also unaware that you were the most important thing to happen in Colorado since the gold rush.
The Ranking system was an IDEA that I bounced off your head Ryan......and was just that .......an IDEA. I am not asking you guys for money. Not a dime not a penny. I want to make that absolutely clear. Another thing I want to make absolutely clear is that we aren't for sure this is going to happen yet. I won't have a definite answer until I have money.
And I am not just some yahoo that’s asking for money. There are a number of people involved in this project. Some of them are well known professionals in there fields, some have established and run very successful businesses and have done this exact thing many times over.  The trapeze people alone have been in this kind of business for over 50 years and have set up rigs all over the world. We are already entertaining potential sponsorships from many different organizations that have absolutely nothing to do with parkour but are very eager to see it happen.
I posted on this board to see what people thought about the Idea.
I appreciate all input.

Demon says  "How could someone invest over $400,000 into a gym that is largely centered around parkour without typing in "parkour" into Google and coming across Colorado Parkour or American Parkour?".......they did

Demon says    "If I was investing that much into an emerging activity, I would enlist the help and expertise of the most prominent local/national parkour individuals and organizations."     We have, they did, we will

Demon says     "It’s been shown time and time again that gymnastics and other similar gyms' success depends on the human and reputational resources of the gym, not the financial or physical."   In other words, I would build my parkour gym around the knowledge and reputations of prominent parkour individuals and organizations, not an outrageous budget and physical resources such as property, facility, and equipment."     Well........I had you guys in mind for all that but I guess I'll have to look elsewhere now. But with out a place and the money to build on that space you don't have squat.

kannagisai says " is it already built and yer just gonna lease if so where do you have in mind, if so a more definitive answer would be cool like an address.  40' by 50'  that’s like ten feet longer than a gymnastics spring floor with the same width.  and forty feet tall? "      we have an address and the owner is on board now.....just gotta BUILD THE BUILDING. We aren't releasing the address till we start construction.

kannagisai says   "I guess what im really getting to is that id like to really hear a no hype no exaggerated or speculative response.  Pretend im someone you want to give you money.  Tell me how where and a real timeline that you have approved and established and who buy cause this all sounds really sketchy to me. “So be it I was just asking for input I have all my ducks in a row now. Alot more so than when I started this thread. I wasn't asking for your cross examination of my paperwork.

Demon says   "Sorry if that sounds harsh, but right now, I think it is justified. I haven't seen anything from you and your crew to suggest otherwise. Until I see any proof or evidence to suggest otherwise, I will remain skeptical and cautious to endorse or associate myself with this project."  Get over yourself kid, this is exactly the reason we don't associate you guys. You are not the end all be all of parkour in this state. No one is.
We don't wear our credentials like bling around our necks. We simply run. We need a place to practice when it’s cold and wet. So we are trying to build a gym. We wanted some input from this community......end of story.
 Don’t need your endorsement. Parkour isn't the only discipline that'll be going on in this gym.

kannagisai says  "and it’s officially a dick move to ask people for ideas on a huge project and not offer consultation reimbursement."  Really   you have done some research on this have you... you and demon are the only 2 I have heard complain about this thing. Besides it isn't a DICK move to ask people what they think about something. It’s called a survey. Or a discussion group or a number of other things. People have the option to offer their opinion when and where they please........just as you did.

What is a dick move is being that abrasive with someone you know nothing about.            Shaky ground man shaky ground.

While I didn't like what they had to say I did ask for all opinions. If you have any comment about this subject put em up here I'm interested in all opinions

Offline bama

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 07:06:22 PM »
to clarify

Demon says    "If I was investing that much into an emerging activity, I would enlist the help and expertise of the most prominent local/national parkour individuals and organizations."     We have, they did, we will

they have very prominent people from all of the communities involved. people that can step up and show thier skills in teaching, guiding, and executing. it has been a while since we trained together Ryan. I have grown tremendously.

Offline bama

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 07:10:32 PM »
one more thing

as "LEADERS" of the Parkour community shouldn't your response be something like    "what can we do to help?"

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 09:02:34 PM »
Demon says  "How could someone invest over $400,000 into a gym that is largely centered around parkour without typing in "parkour" into Google and coming across Colorado Parkour or American Parkour?".......they did

they have very prominent people from all of the communities involved. people that can step up and show thier skills in teaching, guiding, and executing. it has been a while since we trained together Ryan. I have grown tremendously.
Good, then I guess there is nothing to worry about. I'm glad you have grown tremendously. In my recent experiences of formally teaching parkour classes, I've also learned a lot. Teaching parkour is a very unknown area, an area to proceed to with utmost caution. People's health, safety, and lives are on the line and there is a ton to learn about what works and what doesn't, what is important and what isn't, how to progress from one thing to another, gaging the abilities and preparedness of people, and a lot more.

I have told you guys from the beginning that this thing was up in the air and that launch date was completely just tossed out there. You guys are talking like I have put the entire budget and all of the work we've done up for your personal review. You guys have got no Idea what’s going on.
You're right, I don't know what's going on. That's why I remain skeptical and diplomatic about it.

Demon says   "Sorry if that sounds harsh, but right now, I think it is justified. I haven't seen anything from you and your crew to suggest otherwise. Until I see any proof or evidence to suggest otherwise, I will remain skeptical and cautious to endorse or associate myself with this project."  Get over yourself kid, this is exactly the reason we don't associate you guys. You are not the end all be all of parkour in this state. No one is.
We don't wear our credentials like bling around our necks. We simply run. We need a place to practice when it’s cold and wet. So we are trying to build a gym. We wanted some input from this community......end of story.
 Don’t need your endorsement. Parkour isn't the only discipline that'll be going on in this gym.
I don't know what else there is to say about that. I haven't seen anything you all have done for parkour here. I don't discriminate. If someone shows their dedication and passion to promote parkour in a positive and accurate way, they have my trust. Simple as.

I don't claim to be the be all end all of parkour in this state. I'm not sure why you don't associate with Colorado Parkour. Everyone is invited to jams and treated with the same respect and friendliness. I've never had any problems jamming with you guys. You never told me you had problems with us. I post news items and features on the website to try to include you in the local scene. Still, you don't interact. Don't feel threatened by that statement. It's just an observation.

one more thing

as "LEADERS" of the Parkour community shouldn't your response be something like    "what can we do to help?"
I did offer my help. I've talked to you about it on the phone and on email a month ago. I haven't heard anything since and can only assume that this is just another instance where you would rather do your own thing. I can't help you when I know so little about the project and you don't make an effort to enlist my help.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 09:10:07 PM by Demon »

Offline bama

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 10:33:01 PM »
Very diplomatic as usual.  I am currently trying to do something positive for this community by building this gym.  By doing so, I am hoping to put Parkour out there so people understand what we are all about.  As far as teaching goes, I am a skilled teacher and have proved so many times over in several different disciiplines, including Parkour and  free running.  I too am concerned about safety and the necessary precautions that are envolved in this and would never put any one of my students at risk.  Through out the years, I have accumulated knowledge on several subjects, involved myself with many different sports and activities and understand what hard work really means and what it takes to achieve such high goals.  I am not here to pull your leg by any means or get  you all hyped up about nothing.  Simply put, I have experienced life to its fullest and would like to extend the same opportunity to others.  True, I am not online like much of the Parkour community, this does not mean that I am not interested or aware of your progress and activities.  A wise man only speaks when he has something intelligent to say, the fool however, speaks constantly...but has nothing to say.  Basically, I am asking for positive input, ideas and considerations from our community.  This gym is going to benefit us all and I don't quite understand how so much negativity can spawn off of such a great opportunity.  I'm not doing this for me...It is for US, the Parkour community.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2007, 10:49:16 PM »
I also have similar ideas and intentions and 6 months ago, I fully committed my direction of the next 2 years in college toward achieving those goals. Once I graduate, its full throttle to success. Best of luck to you and hopefully we can benefit from each other along the way.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 02:37:27 AM »
yeah, im not a colorodan, sorry for invading your board.

i think this could really be a great thing, but im not so sure about the complex set full of obstacles. i think obstacles in a gym should be generic so as to relate to as many situations in the real world as they can. i think the majority of it could be done with various sized boxes and some mobile scaffolding. i dont want to go to a gym and think "i wish i could do this cat leap", i can do that outside any day. i would much rather go to the gym and find out what cat leap i can do, how far i can jump, and vault, and how high i can climb in a safe environment, and apply that to the real world.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline matt marshall

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 03:28:21 PM »
wow flood gates being opened kinda went in a slightly different direction than i intended but so did my original post i guess.  i shall return to previously accepted format of diplomacy.  its a great idea to have a gym dedicated to parkour and other activities.  i wouldnt have also dedicated my college education to achieving similar goal without approving of said idea.  however, my criticism lay with the apparent solidarity of the idea and the apparent conflicts with traditional procedure and timelines.  in all truthfullness i very much want to sit down with you
i hunt ninjas! bitches.

Offline matt marshall

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 03:39:36 PM »
(accidental enter push)  and see what you have, meet who youve talked to, understand your goals and timeline and most important of all, sit everyone sown in a room, work together trade ideas and make for f#cking sure parkour is represented properly, positively, and safely.  i wanna do my own gym and i think i want different things than you, even to be first. so be it if we are not first and youre deal works out sooner, but ill be damned if we didnt talk about this and someone gets maimed, disabled or killed doing parkour and it hits the media and f#cks it for us all.  keeping in mind youd get f#cked worst of all in said situation.  i dont want that to happen cause of me but also cause of you, youve always been pretty cool with me so to see you get screwed would probably cause me a great deal of sadness for at least five minutes possibly more, depending on whether or not i won the lottery that day. 

in all seriousness having put thought into current post and slightly less emotional drift im just trying to look out for us all and seeking further communication on a more effective level.
i hunt ninjas! bitches.

Offline matt marshall

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 03:40:41 PM »
yeah, im not a colorodan, sorry for invading your board.

i think this could really be a great thing, but im not so sure about the complex set full of obstacles. i think obstacles in a gym should be generic so as to relate to as many situations in the real world as they can. i think the majority of it could be done with various sized boxes and some mobile scaffolding. i dont want to go to a gym and think "i wish i could do this cat leap", i can do that outside any day. i would much rather go to the gym and find out what cat leap i can do, how far i can jump, and vault, and how high i can climb in a safe environment, and apply that to the real world.

dude totally come to classes even if it means moving here.  cause we have that.
i hunt ninjas! bitches.

Offline bama

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2007, 06:46:45 PM »
thank you very much.......I like the diplomatic you!!!!!!  as I have posted earlier, saftey is of the upmost importance. there will be more than adequate saftey measures in place and any one that is on the staff (myself included) will have to be certified in several medical courses ( CPR and such ) and the insurance is extemely similar to a gymnastics gymnasium. it'll cost an arm and a leg.......but it is worth it.
another saftey feature of the gym is the rigging. the trapeze people have to have extemely sturdy saftey measures in place such as safty lines and harneses. the instructors can then strap thier students in for anything that is "dangerous" this will benefit all who would be training there.

I am very eager to sit with you guys and lay everything out on the table. I am distant at the moment  because I only have numbers and figures and letters of intent and stuff of that sort. basically this thing is sitting at the starting gate waiting on the gun. its ready to run, it has the backing and the training, and the proper running shoes and out fit. we are just waiting on that gun shot.

my original intent was to bring in the parkour community once we broke ground on the building. that way it didn't seem like I was blowing smoke up everyones asses. but as I am learning, this community wants to see something like this happen and they want to be in from the beggining. I got no problem with that.

lastley.......... this isn't going to be some kind of corporate thing. if it doesn't stay true to parkour and free running IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!
but it really and honestly has a lot of momentum right now and I would be a fool not to keep pushing it forward.

Offline Logan Lay

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • LEL Enterprises
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2007, 08:28:58 AM »
Bama,

I'm glad to see you've gotten cooler on this subject. From what I see in this thread is that Kannagisai and Demon where putting forth their concerns and didn't put them in any diplomatic form being that they probably thought they had a good enough relationship with you for you to understand their heart and intention. I know Both of them well enough to know that they would not be outright dicks to you for no reason.

I also know that anything good can withstand testing and so please do not react harshly to hard questions. For any dream you must be able to answer the hard questions and your natural reaction often shows how well you've developed the dream. Also, testing is necessary for it will show you approved. Nothing great was ever developed without a test.

We are all touchy on many things with Parkour because it is such a dream for so many of us so we are all very protective. When there is a lack of Communication there is a lack of Understanding, with a lack of Understanding there is Confusion, Doubt, and Fear. With all of us being protective of Parkour we want to make sure that all things related to it go off as well as possible. I'd love to give you a list of Ideas that are scrolling through my head but I'm not sure what is pertinant, what you are looking for or how I can actually help. No Communication makes it harder for me to give input. Maybe once you are certain of this Idea actually happening (certain enough you are willing to share more), put up a small website or a Large post of your plans and ideas and then we can all put in more and better input.

I look forward to this Idea coming to full fruition and to have the chance to work with you and of course Jam with you in the future!!! What ever I can do to help... ...Let me know
"I can do All things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phil. 4:13

"I'm Going There. I'm Going There Directly. I'm Going There Directly and Nothing is Going To Stop Me. I'm Going There Right Now." - David Belle

"Train for Life, not for Prestige" - Charles Moreland

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2007, 03:13:52 PM »
hey all,

After reading all this... sadly, i have to say that i am still unconvinced.  I understand bama your excitement, and I also am empathetic to both demon and kan about the claims that you have made.  If you truly have a site, with backing then that is absolutely awesome.  But until either demon or kan confirms to the community the truth of your claims, then I and the rest of the community will probably remain skeptical.  So perhaps you should focus on winning their support first, and then work on brainstorming for ideas?  just my 2 cents
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.