Author Topic: real indoor parkour gym....what do you think?  (Read 21773 times)

Offline bama

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
real indoor parkour gym....what do you think?
« on: January 17, 2007, 02:17:20 PM »
hey guys,

I have an incredible opportunity to build a real indoor parkour gym in denver. this facility would be a large open space with very high ceiliengs (33 feet bare minimum) and would have tons of interchangeable obsticales. you could effectivley set up any kind of situation that you wanted or just run the courses that other traceurs have configured. there would be plenty of room to train. and all traceurs and free runners would be welcome regardless of age or skill level. it would be open 7 days a week year round. it would have all of the benefits of a gymnastics gymnasium, but it would be made for traceurs and free runners.
Think about it for a second. the ability to train whenever!!!!!!!! obviously this would not replace running in the real world, but it would be a great place to up your skill level and prepare for some of those burly real world situations that we all find ourselve looking at and wondering if we could actually make it. snow and rain would no longer be an issue. you would still have a place to train.
the fee's for such a place would be affordable, I know alot of traceurs don't have alot of money. it would also be a safe place to bring those that are just starting out. we all have that buddy that is really interested in parkour but doesn't have the balls to try it in the real world. you could bring them here.
this would also be a great place to host jams during the winter months and a great starting place for jams in the summer, you know a good place to warm up.

in order to make this happen I'll need some support and input. ideas, opinions, questions, etc. so no matter where you live, or what your views are on this subject, please post on this forum and let me know what you think!!!!!!!!

thanx
Bama

Offline Joey Marion

• Guenons
  • J'adore le parkour
    • View Profile
Re: real indoor parkour gym....what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:27:30 PM »
i would come to visit from arizona. that sounds like its going to be a pretty cool place if you make it. when do you think you'd be bale to open it because a lot of people would go to it.
www.ArizonaParkour.com  -Arizona Parkour Website in production

Join now =D

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 03:06:54 PM »
Hey bama nice to see you posting here.  Great job with the double edge/go fast commercial, was there any follow up or information that would be interesting?

On the topic of the gym that sounds great, and I think Demon would be able to help you guys a little since he is a business major but I'll let him speak for himself.The only bad part it sounds like is that its in denver :(

Offline bama

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:00:21 PM »
well we gotta get alot of input from alot of people, before we can get what we need to get the thing going. so a start up date isn't set yet. however we are shooting for 6-8 months. before the cold of next winter hits.
as far as it being in denver......yes. so its a small trip for you guys in boulder, but if all goes well (cross your fingers :-\) it will be worth it.

thanx for the input....keep it coming!!!!

Bama

Offline Darkhorizont

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 06:58:30 PM »
i'd be up for it, just the driving to denver part, oh and how is this possible, is it sposored type thing? and where in denver would it possibly be?

Offline Tyler Cochran

• Patas
  • Boards don't hit back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 07:08:47 PM »
Sounds like an awesome idea.  It's so hard to find one place that allows you to practice every facet of parkour and still accomadate to all skill levels.  I hope you get the support you need to get it up and running.  I only wish that you were in Texas.  Good luck
"Empty your mind,
Be formless, shapeless, like water.
Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle.
You put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Now water can flow, or it can crash,
Be water my friend"
-Bruce Lee

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 07:15:19 PM »
haha off topic but damn i guess people from everywhere read the CO forums since two people from out of state have already posted here.  Small trip my ass it takes like an hour >:( and I don't have a car but I guess I will once its open.

Offline bama

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 10:09:05 PM »
as far as how this is possible....well that question has alot of different answers.

1. city funding through various avenues and grants.
2. private funding in minimal amounts.
3. corporate funding in different amounts.

there are various people that are involved in this project. this facility will play host to various different artforms. trapeeze arts, dancing arts, athletic arts, etc. all using the space at different times. traceurs aren't the only people looking for an indoor place to work out. plus, some of these art forms, if not all, will spend time working with troubled youths and such.

as far as why and where in denver.....that one also has several answers.

1. denver is a central colorado location, while it may be a bit of a drive for you guys in boulder, if it were in boulder, the kids in C springs would have to drive twice as far.
2. the youth program end of it would work way better in denver.
3. all of the people involved in this project are denver residents. so naturally we will want to have it close to us.
4. all of the available locations are here in denver.

the actual locations available for this will stay under wraps until we can get something more concrete.

Offline bobbshields

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 09:40:17 AM »
I think that its an awesome idea!  I may even need to come to Colorado for it! (I'm from SC)

The whole concept of working with the kids is an excellent one.  Maybe you can tie into the boys and girls clubs, or equivalent organization, in your area. 

Along what line of ideas are you looking for?
~Bobb
May your life be filled
with many obstacles

Offline bama

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 11:47:17 AM »
Ideas..........hmmmmmmmmmmm. I think that what I am looking for Idea wise, what you would like to see in a place like this. ideas or sketches for unique obsticles. anything that your imagination can come up with. it doesn't matter. you can send them to me via email.

brian@partialpieces.com

Offline bobbshields

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 10:26:10 PM »
I'm not a very experienced traceur (yet, since i've only been training for about a month), but I do have a martial arts background...

My suggestions:

Pull up bar(s)

Plum flower poles- this is something we use in Kung Fu.  Its kinda like in karate kid, where he is on the pole, kicking into the air.  I'll take a picture of the poles on either sat or tues and send them your way, with a description of what we do on them.  They're excellent for working on balance and precision stepping. 

Punching bags are always fun, though it has no specific parkour relation

As for the insides of the gym, we have a center here in town that has a rock climbing wall.  Here is the website: http://www.ci.rock-hill.sc.us/Prt/northside.asp

~Bobb
May your life be filled
with many obstacles

SOGSEAL

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 10:44:54 PM »
person imaganation is limetless ;)  so its kinda hard to give ya ideas right away :P , but i actually love this idea since im thinking making same rock like in lisses ;)

so i would like to help :) c ya arround 8)

Offline Joey Marion

• Guenons
  • J'adore le parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 12:11:31 PM »
How much would all this cost do you guys think. Could it potential pay for itself by charging membership.. Maybe someone will make one in AZ =D
www.ArizonaParkour.com  -Arizona Parkour Website in production

Join now =D

Offline bama

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 05:02:13 PM »
make no mistake about it.....this is going to cost us a pretty penny. our latest projections are in the 400,000 range. but it will be self sustaining. thru membership fees and drop ins as well as the other activities that will be offered it should break even for about the first year. after that who knows.

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 05:32:07 PM »
Bama, appreciate you looking out for us C springs kids   :)  This is an awesome undertaking man, I'd love to help out in any way that's needed.  Wish I had more suggestions but at the moment I'm at work with 2 minutes left in my break.

"In heaven, we'll all freerun with Jesus"
                           ..."His Kongs are off the hook!"

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 05:48:37 PM »
haha off topic but damn i guess people from everywhere read the CO forums since two people from out of state have already posted here.  Small trip my ass it takes like an hour >:( and I don't have a car but I guess I will once its open.

an hour isn't that bad....

just run there.. you'll get a good warmup on the way!!!
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment...

Offline Tenka

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 12:23:49 PM »
I don't really have any money but I am willing to put in time and HARD WORK to help out.
Honor In LIfe - Honor In Death

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 07:35:54 AM »
if it were in boulder, the kids in C springs would have to drive twice as far.

word.

sounds sweet. I hope this happens!

Offline Tenka

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 09:40:06 AM »
What exactly is the focus of this gym going to be? Is it going to be geared towards training individual parkour-specific abilities or is it going to be more like one big obstacle course? Or is it going to focus on training an individuals physical and mental abilities and then adapting the gym as needed?
Honor In LIfe - Honor In Death

Offline bama

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 04:12:08 PM »
What exactly is the focus of this gym going to be? Is it going to be geared towards training individual parkour-specific abilities or is it going to be more like one big obstacle course? Or is it going to focus on training an individuals physical and mental abilities and then adapting the gym as needed?

yes yes and most definately yes.
What exactly is the focus of this gym going to be?
the focus of this gym will be developement of movement through the use of discipline.

in english that means in this one place you can develope your body in more than one way. this facility will offer many different disciplines. Parkour, Trapeze, Pilates, Feldenkrais   ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feldenkrais_method ) and martial arts. ( I am trying to track down some wushu guys right now). parkour  and freerunning are a very main focus of this gym. with half of the building (wich is quite large) dedicated to the art and discipline of parkour.

Is it going to be geared towards training individual parkour-specific abilities or is it going to be more like one big obstacle course?

Both. It will be designed by traceurs for traceurs and for anybody that wants to learn to become a traceur, or for anybody that wants to come play on an obsticle course.
there will be all kinds of classes there for those that would like to take them, even creative movement classes for kids to young to learn parkour. all ages all levels.
there will be alot of drop in time for those that don't want to take classes but just want to train on thier own.
and make now mistake about it. this course will be sick, no matter how advanced you are. let me see if I can put this into perspective for you guys

the actual fountain at skyline is something like 20' wide by 30' deep by 15' tall. the space this gym will have is 40' wide by 50' deep by 40' tall and will be filled with railing scafolding, cats , vaults, tic tacs galore, gaps, percisions and more. Grip tape every where chaulk and mats if you want em, lockers if you need em and lots of gauze and antiseptics.

Or is it going to focus on training an individuals physical and mental abilities and then adapting the gym as needed?

the most beautiful thing about the gym is that it is enterchangable. we are trying to design it so we can rearrange it with just 2 people and some elbow grease. the course will change every 2 weeks to a new configuration. each configuration will be recorded so it can be recreated upon request at a later date.
that alone will train your mental. once every 2 weeks you come in and you got a different play ground, how cool is that?this whole thing id dedicated to training the physical