Author Topic: Leave No Trace!  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Fight or Flight Academy
Leave No Trace!
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:24:19 AM »
When I started the zazzle.com store I mentioned that all the profits they send me will be going towards the leave no trace stuff.  Well I got my first check in the mail the other day for $27.18.  I'd like to hear people's ideas on how exactly to spend this money and where we should be focused on cleaning up. 

I personally think that Orchestra Hall has been a favorite area...but they are going to be starting some serious construction soon so maybe it would be pointless to clean it up now.  Normally I would have been all for the U of M, but they haven't exactly been kind to us in the past.  Let me know what you guys think!

Also remember if you go buy anything from the zazzle store the profits we make from it will go to this leave no trace initiative...so buy some stuff!

Offline Charles Yibokou

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Leave No Trace!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:32:46 PM »
spend it on the u of m even if they weren't kind to us dom it anyways try to make them like parkour more

Offline Joseph S

• Patas
  • Blissfully wed to a derby skater who likes Parkour
    • View Profile
    • Geek Physique
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I'm with Charles.  Send them a check for facilities and maintenance (call first to find out who to send it to), include a letter, and send a copy of the letter to the folks that booted us in the first place.  Doing things that are emotionally charged in this fashion are an opportunity to overcome obstacles.  Besides, I'm sure they can buy some more Hosta or whatever shows our trace.  I'd take it a step further and offer to bring a volunteer team to do some clean-up work.  Even if it isn't footprints 6 1/2 feet up the side of a wall, it is reputation.  When was the last time skaters cleaned the wax from axle grinding off the edge of a low wall?
"Age is a constant reminder that nothing is accomplished without a routine."

Offline mospunk

• Patas
  • Matt M.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »
I agree that we should do the U of MN, although sending them the check directly would be silly.  We should get a group together, all wearing our MNPK shirts, and just clean.  Beforehand, we can alert any and all news crews we can think of (including campus news at the Daily), and maybe they'll give us some good press. If nothing else, we could make the front page of APK by documenting it ourselves and use that when we present to the U again.

Train safe, play hard, and dream of flight.

Offline Grant (LOTRFreak993)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 07:34:33 AM »
Mospunk Awesome idea. That would be good. I really hope for having good relations with the U again.

Offline Joseph S

• Patas
  • Blissfully wed to a derby skater who likes Parkour
    • View Profile
    • Geek Physique
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 07:31:09 PM »
Sign me up!  I will bring the squad with me.  A little community service with them would do good.  Back when I was a kid, we had required community service in grade school.  I suspect that's not really part of the education these days, but it is a shame that more kids aren't helping their community.  Dates, times?  Agreed that cutting a check isn't the same.
"Age is a constant reminder that nothing is accomplished without a routine."

Offline Skinny

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Owner of Fight or Flight Academy in Edina MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 07:12:36 AM »
Joe, in my high school, we needed a certain amount of community service to graduate.  Perhaps it's just not needed in grade school

What if we cleaned up an area of downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul.  Running around Raspberry Island was pretty cool.
MNPK - Covered in snow most of the year but the ground is always lava

Minnesota's first parkour and freerunning gym www.fightorflightacademy.com