Author Topic: Another thread on falling, training with emotion and the importance of rolls.  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Ryan Frosten

• Guenons
    • View Profile
So today was a pretty lousy day for me personally, and I felt a good release on some built up anger and sadness would be some solo training. There's one particular place I love going to for the only type of obstacle it lacks is rails. I get there and start off doing some basic speed vaults, just to try out some minor changes. After about a 1/2 hour I try to do some wall climbs. I've climbed said wall before, there's even a video of it on Facebook (with piss poor form too). That said I just couldn't seem to get the swing of it. I'd kick to late and not have any momentum or too soon and end up not kicking the wall. This was were the first problem started.

I was getting frustrated. Already having a lousy week, now I couldn't climb a wall that I should've been up and over 4 or 5 times. Instead of being logically and breaking the move down slowly, I let all of my anger out into one last run. Kicked way to late, grabbed the top of the wall and slipped back off. My left hand burned like hell and when I looked at it I could see why. The gravel at the top at some loose rocks that ripped some skin back.

I sat down for a moment with my shirt pressed into my hand to clear off some of the blood and started thinking some really negative things. Thinking about people who'd tell me/told me I was a loser, how I'd never amount to anything etc... So I got up ready to prove them wrong. A simple monkey vault over a fairly low ledge and I clipped it in a burst of fury. Slammed my shin into the other side of the ledge which tore some skin right off.

The only good thing? Halfway through the air some new instinct kicked in and I managed to roll out of it. Had I not, I would have face-planted into some turf.

I'm sure there are people here who do meditate or something before they train but I now feel as though I should mention it. Having a clear mind is something that is vital to training properly and safely (especially when you're new and just starting). If you're doing even a lazy vault and your mind is on some other minuscule topic, you can get hurt/not land properly or at all.

I know there are several threads discussing why the roll is such a vital thing to learn first, and I just want to stress that again. Had I not known how to roll, that fall could've been way worse. To me, rolling isn't just a way to land should you have taken a drop or need to speed out of a vault. The roll is there for when I simply trip and fall. Instead of going straight down, tuck up and roll out of it, you can save yourself from a lot of unnecessary injuries if you practice this basic move.

Final thing, falling is a big fear of mine. In my mind falling equals failing, which, in all honesty, is not true. Everybody falls at one time or another. I'm sure everybody here has overestimated their abilities or underestimated the height of something and fallen from it. As practitioners, I feel as though we should teach our bodies and our minds that it is alright to fall, that by simply clipping our feet or tripping on something isn't something we need to be afraid of. I'm sure this will sound stupid, but sometimes when I train solo, I'll jump off some low ledge in a way that my body can't try to catch me. Then work on bailouts and rolling out of it.

I don't know, my this whole post was pointless drivel but I feel as though I achieved something more mental then physical while training today. Getting too emotional while practicing something that requires a persons full attention is just not a good move, so the next time you get frustrated that you can nail whatever move, stop for a moment, breath, break down what you're doing and take it slow. Last thing you want is to get injured because you were too upset and not thinking clearly....

Offline Newkid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Srry to hear about the lousy day (don't worry, life gets better) and I know exactly what you mean from this with both the emotion and the importance of rolls. Just last week, I can honestly say that i saved myself a trip to the hospital with a simple roll.

Anywho, congrats on your achievment, it's always great to accomplish something, as it lead to being an overall better person :)

Offline MedvisP

• Mangabey
  • Cloudless every day you fall upon my waking eyes.
    • View Profile
Falling does equal failure, but failure doesn't always have to be a bad thing. We all learn (or should learn) from out mistakes, which seemingly is exactly what you've done. You failed and learned because of it. I'm sure we've all been there.
Power, balance, freedom.
My videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/MedvisP

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
The roll is really cool, that's what good training does.

But the rest of what went on in your head and brain and the result in the physical world is much more significant. Remember that moment in time. Remember the processes that went through your brain. Through your training, as you gain that calmness and comfort and self-understanding and awareness through dedicated training, you will be able to contrast it against what you experienced that day and see where you've come.

Why is this post such a good thing? You had enough self-awareness to recognize your own thought process and what was happening to you, inside your brain. The first step in gaining control and mastery over your mental and emotional game is recognizing it. And you are instinctively doing just that. (And have the courage to share it with us) That is awesome, because too few people do that. Stay aware, keep taking notice of yourself, and be proactive in trying to conquer that frustration and those thoughts that enter your head and cloud up your drive and your enthusiasm and your joy for training. That's our battle, man. Those are our obstacles.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Little King

• Guenons
  • Call me Ryan
    • View Profile
"I'm not a failure, there are just some things I haven't succeeded at yet."
A friend of my dad's said this to me once, and I find it's really helpful to think about from time to time. Yes, people fall, but no, they aren't a failure for it. You're only a failure if you give up because you fell. Don't give up.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
From a book I think many of you would love:

Quote from: Brian D. Brio, author of Beyond Success
When Jenna first learned to walk, she received direct feedback--just as every other child at this stag does--that told her something wasn't working quite right. She fell again and again. Yet her vision and consequent tenacity were unstoppable. Each stumble to a child learning to walk is not an episode of failure--it is an adventure. Failure is simply a judgment. Because infants have not learned to judge, they have an amazing success rate in learning to walk! They love the adventure and stay with it until walking become natural and automatic. Feedback is simply raw material for the next step. We need to reclaim this genius to give full force to our visualizations.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Scott Steinmetz

• Guenons
    • View Profile
That's an excellent quote Alec, I like it.

As to the original incident, I am currently debating how to approach training when distracted by emotions. Sometimes it translates beautifully into expression but other times it just limits focus and is a debilitating factor. Oddly, I can usually feel which of the two the session will be. As Adam said it's fantastic that you're recognizing what happened and working to improve, and I just wanted to say I'm in the same boat, mate.

If anyone has any advice on training when distracted by something that's happened elsewhere in life or when in an emotional state, do advise!
But for now just let it go
Don't run, don't rush
Just flow

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
"I have not failed 10,000 times...I have just found 10,000 ways that will not work."
Determination is the wake up call to the human will. Remember that.

Do you think Lance Armstrong gave up? No.

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B