Author Topic: Shoes?  (Read 13569 times)

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
Re: Shoes?
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2007, 11:02:21 PM »
jason, how much do the guide tennies and savants weigh?

don't know off the top of my head... i'll be out of the office tuesday, but will get exact weights for you on wednesday
Formerly: Jason@FiveTen

Not all who wander are lost...

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2007, 11:09:58 PM »
I'm grooving on the 5 10's. As I progress in parkour I'd like to give them a try. Jason, I know nothing about climbing shoes, so I'm not sure what is "important" to a climbing shoe besides grip. I suspect stability/ankle support is a biggie too. How important is foot articulation? And looking at 5 10's line of shoes marketed for parkour/freerunning, what do these shoes offer compared to the shoes used for climbing exclusively? Understand, I have no background in climbing at all so you're addressing a total novice.

The reason I ask is that I used to be a fitter for Bloch pointe shoes, and I worked a little bit with one of their product developers on a little R&D. Taking that knowledge, I'm trying to apply it to what little I know about parkour, to see if dance sneakers might be a viable option for PK. Or if somehow the dance sneaker could be "cross-bred" with a climbing shoe? I'm toying with the idea of trying parkour in these, but there are a ton of different types of dance sneakers out there. If you're interested, or if 5 10 might be interested, feel free to check out the dance sneakers at www.discountdance.com to get a nice broad cross-section. Just a thought.

Mostly I'm just trying to get my head around the whole shoe thing for parkour, as it seems to be a hot subject among traceurs. :) Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Well, first off Climbign shoes are essentially point shoes with sticky rubber... The owner of five ten would probably cringe at that over simplification... but in the simplest terms its right.

Climbing shoes are generally not comfortable.. at least not to the point you could walk around in them all day, the vast majority are low tops with ZERO ankle support... and climbers generally fit them tight... up to 2 full sizes smaller than their street shoe. They also typically have no midsole... it is usually the leathe rupper glued to the rubber sole with no paddign at all, there are exceptions, Five Ten actually pioneered the use of EVA midsoles to provide some cushioning in climbing shoes and we still use them in some of our models. As for sensitivity/flexibility... depends on the shoe and how advanced you are as a climber... beginner shoes are generally quite stiff, this allows you to stand on smaller edges with less muscle control in your foot... the downside historically was that stiff rubber was not sticky and sticky rubber was not durable... thats precisely where Five Ten made a name for itself... Stealth Rubber... super sticky and durable.

our non-climbing shoes feature stealth rubber, with specialized rubber compounds that suit the intended use of the shoe... there are some other technologies that carry over, many proprietary... Climbing shoes are a precise and technologically challenging category, the years of R&D that go into our climbing shoes definitely benefit our non-climbing lines, one example has to do with ventilation and developing cooler footwear, another is in lacing systems... the list goes on.

honestly a lightweight dance shoe resoled with climbing rubber may make a pretty sweet shoe for PK... ad some polysorbs and you'd probably be doing pretty good... this is again an over simplification, but the idea is there, a sensitive shoe that is super grippy, light and provides adequate cushion and support.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 11:17:22 PM by Jason@FiveTen »

Offline applesauce1289

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2007, 02:50:02 PM »
jason when can i get ahold of the genius?  do i have to order them online, or can i order them from a local store?  are they gonna be on five ten's website?

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2007, 08:48:26 AM »
they are in stock, they will be on our site this week.

as for brick and mortar retailers, i'll see what information i can find for you

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2007, 09:00:44 PM »
That's interesting, Jason; about the shoes. It sounds like you understand ballet/dance shoes pretty well, because your explanation of how climbing shoes fit sounds pretty much like how pointe shoes fit.

It would be interesting to compare notes sometime. 5 10 doesn't happen to need fitters and/or R&D people, do they?

;)

Only half-joking.

Once I get more upper body strength and start actually doing more parkour (besides rolls and landings), I'll have to give the dance sneakers a go and report my findings. I'd like to check out some of 5 10's shoes too, just for point of reference.

Thanks again for the great explanation.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2007, 10:09:20 PM »
no problem, i have climbed for 13 years and my daughter does Ballet. it really is the best analogy for explaining how climbing shoes fit

Offline Brian Orosco

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
Wow, I'm surprised this thread got so far into it before I saw it! Anyway, Jason pretty much covered everything already, but one thing I will say, is that the Savants will last forever! Not literally, but a long time. You can use them heavily and the sole just will not wear down. And if you are dbating between the Savants or Tennies, keep in mind that the Savants will give you much better shock absorbtion. The Tennies should not be used for any sort of drop since there is almost no padding. The sticky rubber is godlike! It almost feels like you could walk on the ceiling with the Tennies!

Personally I looooove both the Savants and the Guide Tennies. It just comes down what your usage focus is. High impact: Savant. Wall runs: Tennies.

I would gladly pay twice the price for either pair. Don't go gettting any ideas Jason!

Offline naroz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2007, 05:08:10 PM »
100 bucks for a pair, jouch... meh, just another reason not to spend money on bullshit. Also, the Marvel is a little bit more expensive, what's it do better/different than the Genius'?

Being 'as good as you can get' means you never stop learning.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2007, 07:32:08 PM »
Meh, I spent $90 on a pair of Nikes for running. They work okay but as I train more and get more familiar with "how my body runs" I will definitely look into other kinds of shoes.

IMO it is worth it to spend the money to buy the best shoes you can afford for parkour (or running, or ballet, or whatever your physical discipline of choice is). The question is one of value. If you spend $100 bucks on shoes that don't support your movement and fall apart in a week, you've paid too much. But if you spend that same amount of money on shoes that last a long time and support your movement such that you can work with relative ease and confidence, and push yourself, then that's money well spent. :)

Just to put it into perspective: pointe shoes run about $40-$90/pair. Most ballet dancers go through 2-3 pairs in a month, more during performance season. ;)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline naroz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2007, 09:57:14 PM »
Meh, I spent $90 on a pair of Nikes for running. They work okay but as I train more and get more familiar with "how my body runs" I will definitely look into other kinds of shoes.

IMO it is worth it to spend the money to buy the best shoes you can afford for parkour (or running, or ballet, or whatever your physical discipline of choice is). The question is one of value. If you spend $100 bucks on shoes that don't support your movement and fall apart in a week, you've paid too much. But if you spend that same amount of money on shoes that last a long time and support your movement such that you can work with relative ease and confidence, and push yourself, then that's money well spent. :)

Just to put it into perspective: pointe shoes run about $40-$90/pair. Most ballet dancers go through 2-3 pairs in a month, more during performance season. ;)

Quality's always worth it... but... I'm a college student, with an apartment and a part time job >_<

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2007, 07:03:17 AM »
100 bucks for a pair, jouch... meh, just another reason not to spend money on bullshit. Also, the Marvel is a little bit more expensive, what's it do better/different than the Genius'?

design details/materials... oh and i like how it looks :) ... although i have a pair of genius on at the moment.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2007, 07:06:57 AM »
ok, not sure genius will make it to the site... things are a bit nutty this week as we have the TV show Modern Marvels in the office today filming an episode on Charles Cole, Stealth Rubber and Five Ten... i'll be sure to let you all know when it is going to air, but obviously it's made this place a bit hectic this week.

Steez

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2007, 09:56:40 PM »
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=3935.0

read the link in the first post by leonn. 

i think this should be on everyone's mind.  take it with a grain of salt, but still consider it.  the no-shoe argument seems to hold a bit of water...google barefoot running.

Offline naroz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2007, 12:41:11 AM »
anyone experiment with tennis shoes or low basketball shoes?