Author Topic: Shoes?  (Read 13551 times)

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Shoes?
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 04:32:49 PM »
Now the guide is resoleable?  If so how much would it cost to resole?
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 06:18:42 PM »
good question... Jason?
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment...

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2006, 11:31:21 AM »
it uses th C4 Dotty rubber tread... the way it is applied to the shoe is as one sheet of rubber, the edges are then ground down to match the toe rand... if you had a pair in your hands you would understand... the sole is attahed to the midsole the same way a climbing shoe sole is attached to the shoe...

there are resole kits on our website... looks like the ratail for $27.00.
but the best way would be to track down a re-soler of rock climbing shoes...
all said and done you can probably resole for less than half the price of a new pair... which is nice because its a shame to throw away a pair of shoes that's nice and broken in when only the sole has been worn out.

in addition they have the experience to do it right. it is possible to do it yourself and save a few bucks, but odds are you're not going to do it perfectly the first couple times.
Formerly: Jason@FiveTen

Not all who wander are lost...

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2006, 01:21:34 PM »
If you wanted a diffrent tread when you resole is that at all possable or not recamedable?  I am new to this whole thing and Getting intersted in a new pair of shoes that will last me awile.  And can be used for alot of the stuff I do.

Inyour experance how long does soles last or how fast is the wear on C4?

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 02:48:38 PM »
i mentioned earlier the C4 in wear testing has been 5-10% less then OEM running shoe rubber and about 10% better than OEM Vulcanized skate shoe rubber...

there are not many choices as far a changing the pattern of tread... we offer Dotty and Flat... flat is like climbing shoes, insane surface contact and grip, but you'd lose traction on wet surfaces and dirt... you could also resole with dotty "Aqua Stealth" it is a gray, non-marking version of Stealth rubber that excels in wet conditions... soon we should have Onyxx resole kits... nothing beats Onyxx for grip or durability, but to date i have only seen it in flat sheets, no dotty pattern... although that is no reason to think it isn't going to happen.

but there really is no choice in tread pattern beyond, tread or no tread

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 10:50:37 AM »
awesome.. thanks J!
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment...

Offline Fly High

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 04:56:06 PM »
I just got some new Asics gel 1120 from foot locker, they were 80, i put my poly-sorb cross trainer insoles, and they feel good, as soon as the cold front gets threw, ill get some more info on them, all ive done so far is a few vaults, a couple 5ft drops, and i ran up my tree a few times, so far they rock, anyone else use Asics, anything I should watch out for?

PS those 5.10 look awsome, i may try some for my next shoe, or some nike max air 180????

Offline Rispearski

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2007, 06:55:28 PM »
 ;D wow, thanks for all the info Jason.  I'm in the market for some new kicks, and I already own a pair of 5.ten climbing shoes.  I had no idea you guys made a Parkour shoe. Sold.  I'll be ordering a pair tomorrow.  Man, am I glad I found this forum.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 05:22:47 AM »
sheeple.

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 02:49:57 AM »
OH MY GOD... I just bought a pair of 5.10s and I can't wait to bring them out on the playing fields, they feel like they have amazing grip, and I seriously want to just start some wall-climbs like crazy. I'll get back to everyone about how well they perform, but I do believe that Jason is trying to sell some quality products here..

I bought the Savants, and they are very nice, tight fit, and an amazing grip. Thank you for all of the info Jason, I would never have heard of these without all the info you've been sending our way!

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 08:31:39 AM »
no, thank you.

be sure to let us all know how they work out for ya.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Compaired to your last shoes Fishy these should be the best thing you have ever used.... I want the guides when I have money :(

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 11:26:34 AM »
lol, yeah.. I bought these because those Nike's (sp) fell apart AGAIN!!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 01:10:22 PM by phish »

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2007, 11:35:55 AM »
lol

Offline ARES^34

• Guenons
  • Deny yourself, take up your cross, follow Him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2007, 09:15:47 AM »
I've got a question about this shoe stuff...is it better to buy the cheap shoes that wear out fast, and replace them continually, or to buy more expensive shoes that are going to wear out anyway? Is there a good balancing point in the $/wearout time that anyone has found?
Also, just how quickly does a traceur's shoe wear out? I mean David Belle probably goes through a couple of pairs a month, but what about someone who just runs on the weekends?
thanks for the time
"No guilt in life, no fear in death, this is the power of Christ in me...from life's first cry, to final breath, Jesus commands my destiny."

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2007, 11:35:54 AM »
just depends on preference. If you get some of the shoes (like that 5.10s) that are resoleable, then you're set. I like these shoes, and the ones I had before these were $50+ and they still ended up getting thoroughly ripped to shreds.

Offline applesauce1289

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 01:53:50 PM »
Hey Jason, I ran across some 5 10's called Geniuses.  They look more like a traditional tennis shoe than something like the Guide or the Savants.  What can you tell me about these?  Would they be good for PK?  I only found them on 1 or 2 sites though.  Do they still make them?  Thanks

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 02:57:02 PM »
they are actually the main shoe i wear to train... they replaced my savants the first time i tried them.

I use a prototype pair and have been for about 2 months... I love them, definitely more of a traditional running shoe design
They have great shock absorbsion, they are light and they are comfortable... of our production models they are my favorite...

we do still carry them, in fact they are brand new, our first shipment of production models arrived yesterday...

Also keep an eye out for the Marvel... it's sort of a cousin to the Genius, should be out in the next couple months.

Steez

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2007, 07:19:42 PM »
jason, how much do the guide tennies and savants weigh?

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 09:44:13 PM »
I'm grooving on the 5 10's. As I progress in parkour I'd like to give them a try. Jason, I know nothing about climbing shoes, so I'm not sure what is "important" to a climbing shoe besides grip. I suspect stability/ankle support is a biggie too. How important is foot articulation? And looking at 5 10's line of shoes marketed for parkour/freerunning, what do these shoes offer compared to the shoes used for climbing exclusively? Understand, I have no background in climbing at all so you're addressing a total novice.

The reason I ask is that I used to be a fitter for Bloch pointe shoes, and I worked a little bit with one of their product developers on a little R&D. Taking that knowledge, I'm trying to apply it to what little I know about parkour, to see if dance sneakers might be a viable option for PK. Or if somehow the dance sneaker could be "cross-bred" with a climbing shoe? I'm toying with the idea of trying parkour in these, but there are a ton of different types of dance sneakers out there. If you're interested, or if 5 10 might be interested, feel free to check out the dance sneakers at www.discountdance.com to get a nice broad cross-section. Just a thought.

Mostly I'm just trying to get my head around the whole shoe thing for parkour, as it seems to be a hot subject among traceurs. :) Thanks in advance for your help. :)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com