Parkour and Freerunning > Community and Club Leaders

How to Teach the Basics: A Guide for Beginners

(1/3) > >>

Matthew Wang:
Hey guys, I think we should compile a basic and simple list of how to help new teachers begin teaching others. Everyone can throw their thoughts in, then I or a mod can edit a list with bullet points on the main ideas of teaching beginners.

I think a training day would run something like this:

1. A Short Parkour Introduction
2. The Warm Up
3. Training the Basics
4. Ending the Session

And under each section, we'll throw in bullet points detailing briefly what's should be going on. If you have other ideas for the beginner's training day, feel free to throw them out there. :) You can post with your full thoughts and ideas on teaching, and then those ideas and points can be summed up shortly. Don't be afraid to give too much information!

I'm hoping this will become an easy to use guide for anyone looking for help on teaching. If it gets filled up pretty well, maybe it can be stickied.

Alec Furtado:
Yeeaaaaaaaa!

Pre-everything: ask if they have any injuries or conditions you should know about.

Stevie Leifheit:
Don't you think the parkour intro should be done before the warm up?

Brian O'Neil:

--- Quote from: Steve Leifheit on February 26, 2011, 08:14:17 AM ---Don't you think the parkour intro should be done before the warm up?

--- End quote ---

I concur. I wouldn't want to get warmed up, then sit around discussing Parkour, getting cold again.

Alec Furtado:
I was planning for my initial club meeting here at SCUPk to be somewhat like this (similar message up on the posters advertising it):

Say there will be a short introductory meeting explaining parkour and whatever's relevant without getting too involved. For those looking to workout, come dressed accordingly. That way, for people somewhat intimidated by whatever concept of parkour is in their head, they can come just for a picture of what would be going on. Might get a bigger turnout than I would otherwise.

Once the intro is done, hopefully short (no longer than 10-15 minutes and more would be explained during the workout), go into the warmup, workout, and cooldown.

I still don't know what would make for a good first workout though. My first thought is about picking something that won't scare them off, but maybe that shouldn't be my concern, though it should obviously be friendly to new people. So, pick a workout that shows it takes work but keep it appropriate for people who are completely new. I feel like I shouldn't overthink it though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version