Author Topic: Santa Clara University Parkour - SCUPk  (Read 5691 times)

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Santa Clara University Parkour - SCUPk
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:45:48 PM »
Hey guys! First post in my journal about developing a school club at Santa Clara University.

Many people express enthusiasm about the club, but I've seen that many times before. Even still I'm fairly confident that there will be a strong turnout if I promote it thoroughly and even more people will show up over time. The SCU community is just pretty active, not to mention that the weather here is fantastic and the campus is beautiful. It also has a great opportunity being so close to the larger BAPK community.

Anyway, club requirements for SCU are here: http://www.scu.edu/csl/organizations/clubs/requirements/index.cfm

Had I been ready to do it earlier, I wouldn't have missed the registration window, but now all I can do is file an "Intent to Register" with gives permission to setup a table in the student center and post up fliers. I have a good friend on student senate who assures me it shouldn't have any trouble and intent to register is almost the same.

Working on finishing a constitution. My friend says they hardly care about this, but I'm still going to try to do it right. I'll post it when I'm done.

One part that might take a while is finding a staff advisor. I was thinking may it would be optimal to get an active female advisor... would encourage more women to join. Obviously if more women join, more men would join if they hadn't already. Let ya'll know how it goes...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:26:06 PM by Alec Furtado »
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Clara University Parkour - SCUPk
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »
So here is the constitution I'm workin with. I'm not sure about some stuff like the leadership positions, how to elect people, and how decide who is qualified for teaching. Obviously the qualifications shouldn't be too complicated, I might have been thinking too idealistically here. I didn't want all officer positions to require experience though.

Please give me some feedback on anything and everything. EDIT: if you reply, don't quote the whole constitution, just do your suggestion ;)

I.   NAME: SCUPk

II.   PURPOSE
Parkour is a highly physical and mental training discipline, which involves mastering a combination of skills such as running, jumping, climbing, and balancing. The term “parkour” is derived from the French term for a course or a route. Practitioners of this art of movement are called “traceurs.”
The purpose of SCUPk is to teach safe training practices for all skill-levels from complete beginners to highly-experienced traceurs, to teach the founding principles and origins of parkour, to provide a safe and friendly environment to train parkour, to provide an alternative and enjoyable form of exercise not available through other means, to promote the positive attributes of the discipline, to counter-act the false impressions people may have about the discipline, and to serve as a model for other institutions seeking to make parkour and its benefits available to their constituents.

I.   MEMBERSHIP
Section 1:   Any registered student (full or part time) as SCU who is in good standing with the university and fulfilling the membership requirements of the organizations may be a member.

Section 2:   Membership requirements
The following requirements must be completed for any person to be considered a member:
A.   Attend at least one meeting.
B.   Return a completed Liability Form to any SCUPk Officer.

Section 3:   In order to guarantee equal rights for all members of the Santa Clara student body, equal opportunities shall be afforded to all students with regard to race, color, national and/or ethnic origin, religion, creed, gender, martial affiliation, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, nationality, veteran status, or physical disability.

Section 4:   Classification
A.   Active member: members of SCUPk considered to be Active are those who attend at least one meeting per week of normal club operation. This is the minimum activity required to be involved in club activity as well as to be in proper shape for parkour training.
B.   Instructor: members allowed to instruct and lead training sessions. All officers excluding the Treasurer, Transportation, and Media Coordinators are inherently given this title. Upon thorough demonstration of ability in this area, other members may be granted this classification as well.

Section 5:   Only active members are allowed to vote. To be eligible for office, nominated officer must demonstrate proper knowledge and practices of parkour and of the respective office, as deemed by the current club officers.

Section 6:   Membership restrictions
A.   No member may lead or participate in a training session under the name of SCUPk where a SCUPk officer is not present.
B.   No member may participate in illegal activities. Such actions will cause an immediate ban from the club.
C.   No member may participate in potentially harmful or reckless activities. If such an event occurs, the individuals membership and permission to continue activity and association with SCUPk will be decided upon by the SCUPk officers.

II.   OFFICERS
Section 1:   Club Offices
A.   President: Alec Furtado
B.   Treasurer:
C.   Vice-President:
D.   Events Coordinator:
E.   Transportation Coordinator:
F.   Media Coordinator:

Section 2:   All officers must be undergraduate SCU students and must meet the Eligibility Policy for Participating in Student Activities guidelines.

Section 3:   The official term of office for all offices is one year, starting from the beginning of Spring quarter to the end of the following Winter Quarter.

Section 4:   Office Descriptions
A.   President: Oversee all club activities and decisions.
B.   Vice-President: Fill in for the President in his/her absence and help manage tasks as negotiated with the President
C.   Treasurer: Manage club finances
D.   Events Coordinator: The Events Coordinator is in charge of monitoring for and scheduling Jams. He or she is also in charge of promoting these events through means including, but not limited to, posters or Facebook events.
E.   Transportation Coordinator: Research, plan, and manage transportation options as requested by the Events Coordinator
F.   Media Coordinator: Arrange and manage photography and videography of club activities

Section 5:   Officer Duties
A.   It will be considered good practice that relevant club activity by any officer will be reported to all other officers in a reasonable amount of time by any means preferred.
B.   All but the Transportation and Media Coordinators are expected to be experienced in parkour and its proper practice and teaching.

Section 6:   In the case of a vacancy of office, it will be filled by means of a special election following standard election procedures.

Section 7:   Executive leadership positions are the President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Events Coordinator.

III.   ELECTIONS
Section 1:   Elections will be held on a date to be decided upon within 2 weeks of the end of Winter quarter.

Section 2:   Election procedures
A.   Any member can be nominated for election by any active member if said member accepts the nomination. Members may run for multiple offices but may serve in no more than two.
B.   Voting will take place by secret ballot on the date of the election.
C.   Candidate receiving a majority (50% = 1 vote) for the chosen office will be declared the winner (or simple majority)
D.   In the event that a member wins the vote to multiple offices, he or she may then choose to accept up to two offices. The declined offices will then go to the runner-up.

Section 3:   Recall. A petition of one third of the total number of members shall be cause for a recall election. The offense must be in writing and submitted by a member of the organization. A recall election shall be held at the next regular business meeting after presentation of the recall petition and shall be conduced as a special election. Recall will require a favorable vote of two thirds of the voting membership.

Section 4:   Instructor nomination. An Active member may be granted the position of Instructor according to the following procedure:
A.   Member must be nominated by a SCUPk officer. This officer will serve as the nominee’s “sponsor.” The sponsor is responsible for helping the member through the instructor nomination process.
B.   Member must lead at least two Training sessions over a period of two weeks.
C.   Member must have at some time attended at least one Jam not held by SCUPk, unless a special agreement is made by the Executive leadership.
D.   Once the preceding requirements have been met, the position of Instructor will be granted upon a final majority vote of SCUPk officers.

IV.   MEETINGS
Section 1:   The time, date, and place of regular meetings shall be determined by the majority of the membership at the first regular meeting of the term. The first regular meeting time and date should be stated in this section.

Section 2:   The frequency of meetings will be determined by the majority of the membership at the first regular meeting of the term.

Section 3:   Regular meetings are as follows:
A.   Training: meeting where parkour will be taught and lead by a club officer. Thus, training sessions can only be arranged by a club officer. It is required that sessions outside of the decided regular sessions be reported to the Events Coordinator.
B.   Information: parkour history, principles, and practices can be discussed and movies and videos can be viewed. Any member can arrange an informational meeting, but it must be approved by the Events Coordinator.

Section 4:   Special meetings
A.   Executive: meeting for Executive Officers to discuss and formalize important club decisions to be voted on at the next regular meeting.

Section 5:   Quorum for regular and special meetings shall be half of the number of Active Members.

Section 6:   Rules of procedure for this organization shall follow the Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure.

V.   FINANCES
Section 1:   Fiscal operating year (July 1 – July 30; same as University).

Section 2:   SCUPk membership requires no dues, costs, or fees.

Section 3:   This organization shall operate on a non-profit basis.

VI.   AMENDMENTS
Section 1:   Proposed constitutional amendments or changes shall be presented to the organization in writing one meeting before they may be voted on.

Section 2:   Approval by two-thirds of the voting members present at a regular meeting shall pass a proposed change. The change shall be put in effect immediately unless otherwise stipulated in the amendment.

Section 3:   A copy of any alteration to this document must be filed with Associated Students of Santa Clara University and the Center for Student Leadership.

VII.   RATIFICATION and ENACTMENT
This organization shall become the official governing document of the organization, upon ratification by a two-thirds majority vote of the membership, and approval and acceptance by the appropriate recognizing body of SCU. Amendment and ratification to this constitution should require the same two-thirds vote percentage.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:24:12 PM by Alec Furtado »
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 08:45:33 AM »
Based on time stuff and impendng final exams, I might be totally waiting till next quarter...

I could try to get going as a "Hey! Take a break from finals!" but I know I'll be very busy myself.

So yea, we'll see.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »
Just made a Facebook to attract members. Need at least 15 by next Wednesday, Apr 6th.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/SCU-Parkour/151488238248589

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:30:26 AM »
Club registration is complete... now to wait.

I have friends in the student senate and they assured me it's pretty much going to be approved. I guess it's hardly a big deal. All the university will require are participants to fill out the stock liability waiver.

Super excited.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:12:51 PM »
Got antsy so I hunted down someone I knew was in the student senate. Guess what? APPROVED!!! He said there was some concern over liability but that's a given. The university has official all-encompassing waivers available anyway that almost all clubs use already.

Now to work on fliers and set an official first meeting.

I'll post the official papers once I get them.

Offline Donald Morrow

• Guenons
  • I <3 Andy + Jordan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »
Excellent man. I'm hoping that enough interest can be sparked in my city so that we can get something similar like this started. Would be more community based, but I'm still hopeful.
People can say 'You can't, you won't, you never will', but believe in yourself, and you will do the impossible. - Me

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 06:49:32 AM »
Nice Donald! Keep in mind everything needs a leader so somebody's gotta step up. Don't try and "hope" it into existence or you'll probably be disappointed.

As an added update, the club is approved but is pending some decisions about how we can operate, due to the obvious concerns. The club coordinator is super helpful though so I am expecting good things. I wanted to do this anyway to know which guidelines to make sure we stay between... what campus stuff we can use, etc.

Offline lethalbeef

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 09:34:49 AM »
Any updates? How did the facebook event thing go? If you already have 15 members and people who are going to be training with you, you could gather them up and train with the San Jose guys; until the club gets started you might as well bring some of those beginners to a jam where they can get started. That way, if they stick around until next quarter (crossed fingers) they can act as somewhat experienced members to help you get complete beginners up to speed.

Offline aerosfcity

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Demo.
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Connections
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
Yes it definitely helps to be a PART of a community if you want to try leading your own.

The monthly jam with about 50 people was 15 min from you this weekend where were you?  How are you mod of this forum and nobody around where you live has ever met or heard pf you??

You need to get back out there bro.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 01:55:27 PM »
Any updates? How did the facebook event thing go? If you already have 15 members and people who are going to be training with you, you could gather them up and train with the San Jose guys; until the club gets started you might as well bring some of those beginners to a jam where they can get started. That way, if they stick around until next quarter (crossed fingers) they can act as somewhat experienced members to help you get complete beginners up to speed.
Got people and set a couple training sessions, but people haven't really been coming. I gotta pursue it harder, just can't quite yet.

Yes it definitely helps to be a PART of a community if you want to try leading your own.

The monthly jam with about 50 people was 15 min from you this weekend where were you?  How are you mod of this forum and nobody around where you live has ever met or heard pf you??

You need to get back out there bro.
Ryan, best not to make assumptions about someone's life or they might get offended like I was from this. I'm sure you meant it more as "wake-up slap" but this touched a nerve. Don't know if you want to hear the life story behind it nor do I want to post it, but it did start about 6 years ago... I'm not just sitting on my ass here or whatever you're imagining.

Offline aerosfcity

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Demo.
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Connections
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 02:03:20 PM »
You talk like you want to be big help with the local scenes and that you eventually want to LEAD others. 

Do you know that we have potentially 400+ traceurs (and Leaders :)!  ) coming to visit less than 30 min from you for the International Jam in a month??

We have asked for help and assistance organizing from all the local "Community Leaders", and you have chosen not been one of them. Thats not how you "build leadership and management skills".

It just seems that you are in in fact totally ignorant of the large striving community around you...

Think i'm a dick?  Its simple prove me wrong and get involved.  Otherwise people laugh about how you are the organizer of this Forum.   Because its funny.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
You talk like you want to be big help with the local scenes and that you eventually want to LEAD others. 

Do you know that we have potentially 400+ traceurs (and Leaders :)!  ) coming to visit less than 30 min from you for the International Jam in a month??

We have asked for help and assistance organizing from all the local "Community Leaders", and you have chosen not been one of them. Thats not how you "build leadership and management skills".

It just seems that you are in in fact totally ignorant of the large striving community around you...

Think i'm a dick?  Its simple prove me wrong and get involved.  Otherwise people laugh about how you are the organizer of this Forum.   Because its funny.
There's things called priorities. So far, this is the lowest on the list. First is my family keeping our house. Second is me staying in school. As I said, it's a life story kind of thing that started 6 years ago.

I realize you want to mess around and challenge me to do what I say, but now isn't the time. Things were ok when I said this forum should exist (and I still think it should) and I started working on my club. I never asked to be moderator of this forum, but I guess it makes sense that I would be set as the first one since I asked for the forum. However, recently (this past weekend specifically), shit got real.

You are right and I am completely ignorant to it, but that's a moot point considering the other things I have to deal with right now. You guys do your thing, and I'll join you as soon as I can.

Offline lethalbeef

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 07:39:08 PM »
Aero is a wake up slap kind of guy. I think he's been kind of offended too, though, that we have had such a strong community right next to you and you haven't been a part of it, while in the meantime creating a leaders board on APK. I don't want to come off like he did, but again, the point is you can and should get a lot of support from SFPK since we're right here. I don't expect you to come out to every jam, but I hope I'll see you on the SFPK forums a little more.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 05:24:17 PM »
Aero is a wake up slap kind of guy. I think he's been kind of offended too, though, that we have had such a strong community right next to you and you haven't been a part of it, while in the meantime creating a leaders board on APK. I don't want to come off like he did, but again, the point is you can and should get a lot of support from SFPK since we're right here. I don't expect you to come out to every jam, but I hope I'll see you on the SFPK forums a little more.
For sure. It's just the issue right now is more personal/family. Shit happens, and it has been. The only support I could use right now is "Get it done man! We can't wait to see you out here!" instead of "Dude you're a terrible leader, wtf are you thinking?!" It's just so insensitive and unhelpful, I can't believe it. Even after I told Ryan to let me worry about myself right now, he came back again completely inappropriately.

You'll see me on SFPk though ;)

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 06:18:10 PM »
For sure. It's just the issue right now is more personal/family. Shit happens, and it has been. The only support I could use right now is "Get it done man! We can't wait to see you out here!" instead of "Dude you're a terrible leader, wtf are you thinking?!" It's just so insensitive and unhelpful, I can't believe it. Even after I told Ryan to let me worry about myself right now, he came back again completely inappropriately.

You'll see me on SFPk though ;)

I definitely sent you invites and a "can't wait to see you here" Facebook message before you even moved down here.  That's why the call for support from people across the country seemed strange.  We're right here, have years of experience building communities and leaders, and have invited you to come train, and you've frequently said you would, then didn't show up.

Whenever you are ready, we're here.  Life happens for sure, but whenever you do get back out, we'll be here.  Good luck on finals, unless you guys already finished them.