Author Topic: How to Organize a Jam  (Read 11955 times)

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
How to Organize a Jam
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:37:28 PM »
Here are a few pointers on how to get a jam going.

1: Pass the word around your school and neighborhood that you want to have a jam.

2: Hand out invites and make a facebook event!

3: Post about it in your state board's jam section. If anything changes make sure to edit your post.

4: Make sure you put clear date and time info. Check Skipper's sticky for an easy format. As well as solid locations, and a plan B  location if you run into problems, transportation, parking fees, food, lodging (if its a multi day event) Etc...

5: Let people know they have to fill out a wavier if you're using a gymnastics facility.

6: Expect around half the people you invite to come. So if you want ten people, invite 20. Your first few jams probably won't be to big, but they'll grow as the word spreads!

7: Let people know how to get a hold of you if need be.

Let us know how things turn out!

If I left anything out, let me know.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:04:30 PM by Steve Leifheit »
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Kauri

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: How to Organize a Jam
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:44:16 PM »
Hypothetically, what if we're looking to set up a national Jam, or multi-state one?
Zechariah 14:12
And the LORD will send a plague on all the nations that fought against Jerusalem. Their people will become like walking corpses, their flesh rotting away. Their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths.

(Zombies)

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
Hypothetically, what if we're looking to set up a national Jam, or multi-state one?

That's when you need to utilize the internet! Use Facebook, local parkour community sites, and any other way you can to get the word out. Make sure you announce the event with enough time for people to plan for it!
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Kauri

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »
That's when you need to utilize the internet! Use Facebook, local parkour community sites, and any other way you can to get the word out. Make sure you announce the event with enough time for people to plan for it!

Good deal. So pretty much the same as the OP, but on a bigger scale? Awesome. Thanks man!
And the LORD will send a plague on all the nations that fought against Jerusalem. Their people will become like walking corpses, their flesh rotting away. Their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths.

(Zombies)

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 04:23:51 AM »
That being said once you do all of that for a national jam and using the net have forum posts Facebook event send that information to me at events@americanparkour.com and I will add it to our national calendar or international calendar.

National Jam Calendar - http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/5193/473/
International Calendar - http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/5654/484/
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline gravity

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 01:53:40 AM »
why doesnt any one set up a jam in washington
"there are no "parkour spots"; you can use anything anywhere to train and to play, as long as you're able to look at your surroundings with a vigilant eye, and use your imagination to figure out what you can do with things you come across."-  L'consolable

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 04:36:20 AM »
why doesnt any one set up a jam in washington

Somebody should, and it can be you! Everybody complains about how not enough jams happen, well its because we aren't taking the initiative and organizing them ourselves. Just use the guide lines I gave you, and don't forget to post in the Washington Jam section!
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline gravity

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 02:58:27 PM »
i would but mainly two things are stopping me 1 im really new to parkour and 2 im only 13 years old and it would be weird meeting a grown man or woman just like you ready to jam
"there are no "parkour spots"; you can use anything anywhere to train and to play, as long as you're able to look at your surroundings with a vigilant eye, and use your imagination to figure out what you can do with things you come across."-  L'consolable

Offline Kauri

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 11:38:16 PM »
Would setting up a jam help with expanding the community here in my town? There are a limited number of people here that train, and those of us are looking to get the word out and get more people out here.

(Zombies)

Offline gravity

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:43:18 PM »
i would imagine it would help get the word out if your going to be practicing in the public were people can see you cause the curios ones out will see you and try to figure out what your doing

Offline Kauri

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 11:48:09 PM »
I do practice in public (I'm not big on gyms most times), but I think the problem is that I live in a pretty big college town, so school could prevent alot of people from comming out. The fact that we have no solid schedule could be a problem too...

(Zombies)

Offline gravity

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 11:56:45 PM »
i dont know how your schedule will affect that but a try and pick a day when you think people will be outside though tha'ts probally pretty obvious another thing you  could do is try to set up a chain email a forward somthing that says something that describes parkour and says that if they want to start or if there just curious then there will be a begginers jam at (insert time) on (insert date) it will be located at (insert location)

Offline Cobra777

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »
Thx. the tips were great. my friends and I were considering hosting a jam in nc so this helped a lot

Offline Teencelync

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
How to Organize a Jam
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 11:04:30 AM »
Theres how many towers in the country? A few hundred thousand? 7 million birds a year is a lot of bird strikes on each and every tower, every year.

Now, would I really see every starling? Probably not. But if theres one on my tower every 2-3 weeks, Im pretty sure Id notice once in a while...