Author Topic: vibrams vs split toed shoes  (Read 3267 times)

Offline gravity

• Patas
    • View Profile
vibrams vs split toed shoes
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:42:09 PM »
i was wondering whats better for parkour shoes like vibram five fingers or shoes that  only have a split toe
"there are no "parkour spots"; you can use anything anywhere to train and to play, as long as you're able to look at your surroundings with a vigilant eye, and use your imagination to figure out what you can do with things you come across."-  L'consolable

Offline BremerKen

• Patas
  • SPK-Seattle Parkour
    • View Profile
Re: vibrams vs split toed shoes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 10:52:52 PM »
What is better for Parkour is just getting out there and doing it. Just like in baseball or basketball there is no magic shoe you can pay money and be awesome at your selected activity. If you check my post history you will find I'm a HUGE fan of vibrams but its not the shoe that makes the Traceur. Wear what you like and find comfortable, the rest comes with training.
-Always Moving-
Seattle Parkour

Offline Kim Martin

• Patas
  • More to see, More to do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 01:23:21 AM »
I doubt you would get a good answer, since it's not likely someone has tried both of them.
I have pondered getting a five fingers simply because they are easier to acquire, with a store in the city that carries them

Offline gravity

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:18:49 PM »
What is better for Parkour is just getting out there and doing it. Just like in baseball or basketball there is no magic shoe you can pay money and be awesome at your selected activity. If you check my post history you will find I'm a HUGE fan of vibrams but its not the shoe that makes the Traceur. Wear what you like and find comfortable, the rest comes with training.
[/quo

i know what you mean i simply wanted to see if any one has any good points figure i might as well get as much info wall my foots injured
"there are no "parkour spots"; you can use anything anywhere to train and to play, as long as you're able to look at your surroundings with a vigilant eye, and use your imagination to figure out what you can do with things you come across."-  L'consolable

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:32:28 PM »
Split toed shoes still ruin the balancing mechanic that toes offer, and don't conform well to the foot in general.  I would stick to VFFs.

Offline Tim Traczyk

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »
I love to train in VFF's, but I would also recommend owning some other shoes as well. I live in Minnesota, where wearing VFF’s all year around doesn’t work so well. I read a reply to one footwear post where a Traceur said “get the shoes you like best, then you will be more excited to use them.” I agree with this analogy. If you like your gear, you are more likely to use it. There are advantages to either type of shoe, but what it comes down to is what one will you actually get out and use. I would recommend making a list: Include the items you like for performance, wearability, etc...

Things I like about shoe A:         Things I like about shoe B:

Which ever list has the most things you feel are important, get that one…  :-Sarcasm

Offline gravity

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »
thanks that really helps

Offline gravity

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 06:00:09 PM »
but what i was hoping for was some personal reviews of one or both shoes

Offline Kendy

• I Violate Your Mind
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The Parkour Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 08:12:31 AM »
.:Don't think about it. Just do it:.
[ My Facebook ]
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline gravity

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
thanks that ansers my question im going to stick withs vibrams

Offline Kendy

• I Violate Your Mind
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The Parkour Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 01:54:35 PM »
good choice
.:Don't think about it. Just do it:.
[ My Facebook ]
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline PARKOURSAGE

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »
I own split toed Ayyawear tabi. And Vibram kso's. Both are great for parkour. However the tabi offer a little more support and feel more solid than the vibrams if you are unsure of yourself. They are a little thicker on the bottom too. Balance is amazing in both and the natural rubber of tabi has amazing gripping properties but so do the vibrams with the razor sipped sole. I love em both! My advice. Train in a lot of different shoes so no matter what your wearing your ready to jam!

Offline gravity

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »
thanks but you realize this topics been dead for like 2 months

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 02:44:44 PM »
If the topic hasn't been posted in for 60 days, then don't post in it. Mkay? Thanks. :)
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Roan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 08:21:59 PM »
I know this post is considered dead, but I had to respond to this:

I doubt you would get a good answer, since it's not likely someone has tried both of them.

because I totally have trained in both (and rather extensively)! HA!

Anyway, FiveFingers are far superior. While tabi-style or split-toe shoes are certainly both fun and unique, FiveFingers are the real deal. That said, I also agree with the general consensus that footwear is irrelevant, only training is important. I have noticed personal improvement in technique having switched to Vibrams (though I do allow for the possibility that some of that improvement is psychosomatic in nature), and I also concur that balance is much easier with independent toes rather than the sort of 'hooves' that split-toe shoes provide.
But really, footwear is footwear. To paraphrase Thoreau - "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes". What you have will work fine, just make sure you work! For a point-by-point in my experience with split-toe, you can check here (http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,19546.0.html)