Author Topic: HELP!! - WOODEN WALL  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Irishroses

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
HELP!! - WOODEN WALL
« on: January 23, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
Hi,

I am currently training to try out for the police academy, part of the agility test is to run/climb over a 5 ft wooden wall. I have been having difficulty trying to get the right technique for this. A friend of mine sent me a video showing Parkour, but everything I have seen on that is for brick or concrete walls, nothing wooden. It doesn't matter HOW I get over the wall, I just have to get over it. The test is next Saturday. Any help or input anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. The current wall I am training on is wooden, but has been varnished so it is difficult to get any traction on trying to get up and over. The "actual" wall we will be using for the final test is made out of plywood and will have some turf grass on it. Don't know if I can or should buy any special shoes to do this wall thing. Would any shoes with more traction actually work on the wooden wall with turf grass? I am a 5 ft female, so this obstacle is becoming very difficult for me. Any help, suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any input, my test is on Jan. 29th.

Offline Kyle McGowan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!! - WOODEN WALL
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:22:28 PM »
Welcome to the forums. You do not need a special shoe to get over this obstacle. The material that the wall is made of should not be a problem either (unless its cardboard :P).

As you are approaching the wall, gain as much speed as you can as it will be helpful when you kick off of the wall. When you reach the wall, kick of the wall as hard as you can and try to pull yourself over the wall at the same time. If there is not enough force behind the kick, then your foot will slip, which is why it is important to kick off the wall as hard as you can.

also read this:
http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/883/407/

good luck on your test!

also, if you live near fairfax, we will be holding a jam this friday afternoon at gmu. you are welcome to join and we can help you work on this type of obstacle.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:25:29 PM by Kyle McGowan »
This is not a sport; this is superman versus the giant.