Author Topic: Virginia Intro Thread - Say Hi Here first!  (Read 20507 times)

Offline 'Knox'

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
Virginia Intro Thread - Say Hi Here first!
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:16:45 AM »
Welcome to the Virginia forums on APK! Say hi in here and let us know a little about yourself - where you're from, how long training or just getting started, and when you generally train so other people can join up with you!

Offline Irishroses

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Virginia - need help going over WOODEN WALL
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 08:16:24 AM »
Hi,

I am currently training to try out for the police academy, part of the agility test is to run/climb over a 5 ft wooden wall. I have been having difficulty trying to get the right technique for this. A friend of mine sent me a video showing Parkour, but everything I have seen on that is for brick or concrete walls, nothing wooden. It doesn't matter HOW I get over the wall, I just have to get over it. The test is next Saturday. Any help or input anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. The current wall I am training on is wooden, but has been varnished so it is difficult to get any traction on trying to get up and over. The "actual" wall we will be using for the final test is made out of plywood and will have some turf grass on it. Don't know if I can or should buy any special shoes to do this wall thing. Would any shoes with more traction actually work on the wooden wall with turf grass? I am a 5 ft female, so this obstacle is becoming very difficult for me. Any help, suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any input, my test is on Jan. 29th.

Offline Th3Yoda

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia Intro Thread - Say Hi Here first!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:41:44 PM »
Hey Y'all,

I'm a student a Georgetown University.  A group of friends back home and I have been teaching ourselves for 3-4 years now but I'm very off-and-on with the training.  I've made a commitment to myself to train more regularly and utilize the DC community this year.  I usually train at various spots on the GU campus.  Other than Gateway Park does anyone have suggestions for good spots nearby?

STpsycho

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 12:44:24 PM »
YO! I just moved to Stafford, Va.  Im taking classes at UMUC College Park, and Ive been a traceur going on 8 years.  Im down to jam any time any day, except Wednesday/Thursday nights after 5pm, I got class.  Hit me up by phone (919)2twonine-33nine8.  Also Twitter, http://twitter.com/#!/Sublime28

Offline Maximum404

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 12:23:39 PM »
Hey all, I've been a member here for a while, but finally decided to post.  I left the navy last year and now have free time to pursue real life.  I am an avid CrossFitter and runner who has looked to Parkour as another skill-developing outlet.  I am in VA Beach now, but will be heading to Richmond in August for Med school.  Looking to meet up with some fellow traceurs in VAB for the summer or Richmond for the Fall.

Offline STpsycho.

• Guenons
  • John-Henry Lane Jr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 11:40:37 PM »
HEY Anyone in Stafford?  I just moved up from NC and I used to live in Silver Spring, MD a few years back, need a Parkour buddy to help me get ready for MetroDash.  Cool, thanks.
"In real Parkour, there’s no flip. The goal is to keep it simple, efficient and to train movements in which you trust" -David Belle

Offline xquan.nguyen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:53:48 PM »
Hi

My name is Quan. I'm from Vietnam. I'm a highschool student .I just learn english for 6 months .Next year, I will live in Harrisonburg. Where can I play parkour ? I trained two years but in Vietnam, they're very poor .So they don't have any gym and I just train by myself. Contact me : xquan.nguyen@yahoo.com

Offline Alex

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • ello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 04:54:21 PM »
Hey all,

My name's Alex, I've been doing Parkour for about a year now and I love it so far even though there are a lot of things I can't do, like tricks. I practice in Woodbridge, and am currently looking for members of my group Tryst 142. If you're interested message me, and I'll see you soon!

-Alex
Run through me, see the flow that will take you to your fate. Slip past the everyday barriers that prevent your creativity from blooming and fly, free as a bird till next we meet. For you Indy I miss you.

Offline HP

• Patas
  • We all have hidden potential.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 08:41:13 AM »
Hey there. Name's Alex, I'm 20. I've been doing parkour for about 9 years on and off. Currently, I am injured and out of shape, but I want to get back into motion. I'm located between Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. Last time I was on here, I had a hard time finding SoVa Traceurs. I've only once trained with other traceurs. Hit me up on facebook, or here if you'd like to meet up.

Some other fun facts ( That may or may not be relevant.)

I'm a backyard blacksmith, I create weaponry and armor with a post-apocalyptic style to it.

12 years of martial arts; 2 yrs Capoeira, 2 yrs Muay Thai, 2 yrs Tae Kwon Do, and 6 yrs Tradition Japanese Karate.

Self-taught to use just about any weapon (not firearms).

Offline Christie

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »
Hey, from Roanoke. I've been interested in parkour for a while but never got a chance, hoping to have an empty schedual soon though! :)

Offline Ryan Fletcher

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • "Go Hard or Go Home"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 05:00:21 AM »
Hello, I'm Ryan. I'm in Powhatan. I'm the epitome of "noob," excepting that I don't have to lose a hundred pounds in order to be good. I'm just über skinny.

I need advice by the plateful. Anything you know (minsconceptions, training tips, words of motivation, places within 30 min to practice...) is more than welcome: I'm in desperate need of it.
"Clocks are heartless and dreams are terminally I'll. Don't put if off until tomorrow."
- Calvin Crenshaw

Offline Kevin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 09:05:32 AM »
Hello all :) My name is Kevin and I will be moving to Lorton Virgina for the summer. I have two years of experience with Parkour and have been training at North Carolina State University under Alan Tran and with the rest of the crew from NCSU. I am looking for a community or even a few guys around my area to train with and hopefully share some of what I have learned as well :)

Offline Michael Collins

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »
My name is Michael, I live ten minutes outside of Richmond, Va, and I'm pretty much inexperienced. Can wall run with a modicum of skill (up, not across), maybe even pull myself up onto a ledge, but I pretty much fall flat in all other areas. I don't even dare try flips right now.

I'm hoping to find people to run with, get shown various things first hand, and in general get a parkour education.

So far I've kept it to Belle Island, which is ultimately disappointing, and could use some encouragement to run wild in the actual city. Plus i don't know any good areas to do it in.

I like baby animals, firearms, and red ale.

Offline Brandon flynn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »
Hey I'm Brandon. I'm 27 from centreville va. I've been into weight lifting for a while. But I've been really into ninja warrior and have wanted to run the course for years. I'm planning on running next year and want to start training. I work mon-fri from 7am-3pm. I plan on training when I'm not working. If anyone has any advice please message me. Since I'm new to this I'd really appreciate any guidance.

Offline J. Rex Martens

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Livin' the Dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 12:50:57 PM »
Howdy.

I'm Rex. I live in Sterling, work in Falls Church, and hangout all over NOVA.

I've been interested in parkour for quite sometime, but never really knew how to start or where to go. Finally decided to be a little proactive with it and see what I could find to get myself in gear. Looking to train and practice pretty much any evening after 8 (I work 10-7 mon-fri, and 10-5 saturdays).

Found Urban Evolution, but I just can't afford their membership costs. Looking for more casual/fun training and practice.

I'll take any and all advice I can get from you all, lol. Hit me up if you want to train!
Looking to get started!
Hit me up if you'd like to train together!

Offline Jared Cantilina

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
I think this is the right button....
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 12:53:05 PM »
Hi, im Jared, I'm very new to parkour, only been doing it for 2ish months, i'm a high schooller, and would like to get connected with the parkour community.

Offline Joseph Kessler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 06:02:52 AM »
Hey, I'm Joseph, senior in highschool. I live in the midlothian area, and I'm very new to parkour. I literally just started about a week ago, so i really have no clue what I'm doing. I've always wanted to do parkour, but i never tried until now. So yeah, i just wanted to get connected with the people that do it in Virginia.

Offline Wec

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »
Hey, all!

I am Jay, but I go by WEC (Pronounced Wes - a joke that stuck - stands for Wiley E. Coyote courtesy of my amigos who are amazed I am still breathing) and I am brand new up over here in Arlington! I am new to parkour (but not physically incapable of it) and am looking for a solid group of people to laugh at me as I stumble around, trip, rack myself, and slip on stuff! A few pointers would be solid too, but I am just looking for a good group of people to "run" with (pardon the pun). I would love to hear from anyone in an active group of traceurs within reasonable driving distance from Arlington!

Hit me up!
WEC

Offline Chris

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 05:58:44 AM »
Hi, my name is Chris and I just moved into the area and just got out of the military. I'm looking to stay in shape and have been wanting to get into parkour for a while now, but have yet to have found someone to do so with or show me the ropes. I'm living in Virginia Beach now, near Oceana base. Although I work full time, I have evenings and the weekend off, so if anybody is interested in working out together and maybe schooling me up, let me know.

Offline Timothy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 09:25:49 PM »
Hi I'm Timothy, been freerunning for 2 years now! I can do backflips, frontflips, websters, backtwist, Arabians, etc... If you want to train, just to let you know there's a new Freerunning team in Chesterfield, Va It's called "High Flying Freerunning" We have a Facebook group or you can email me at infinitytech97@gmail.com or text me at (804)-888-3992 (please tell me who you are)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/216654628471547/