Author Topic: Cold Weather Lung Protection  (Read 1913 times)

Offline James Cavin

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Cold Weather Lung Protection
« on: December 11, 2010, 09:25:35 AM »
As most of you know, running outside during the cold months can have an affect on your lungs afterwards. A lot of times you'll end up with the "skier's hack" as a result. Some people even have trouble breathing for a while afterwards and get a kind of exercise induced asthma.

For me, I already have asthma so running during winter months usually just sucks for me. I end up using my inhaler a lot because of it.

I've been doing some reading on some solutions to this problem. A lot of people recommend buying a balaclava because it is supposed to help warm the air a little better as you breath it. I'm considering maybe finding some bandanas and seeing if those will work as well.

Anyone know if this helps at all? Or do you know of a similar solution?

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Re: Cold Weather Lung Protection
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 11:28:24 AM »
1. Breath in through your nose
2. Make sure you do a full warmup before you do any exercise
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline North

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 11:40:25 AM »
I love the cold. I'm a sweater, hence I get hot fast so I have to like the cold.
So what I do is over dress for the cold, once I start to "warm" up or sweat which ever comes first I then start to shed. Hell last week I was in only my basketball shorts in 34 degree weather shoveling snow. Didn't cough once.

Offline Skye

• Ambassador
  • Mangabey
  • o.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:15:11 AM »
I too have asthma and i totally understand the cold air hurting your lungs. I wouldn't recommend a balaclava because the face mask might cause suspicion (at least were i am its a NO unless your in a costume) So i wear either a bandanna or a half fleece mouth mask like this

Don't know the technical name cause i made mine myself, but it really does help.
ME:  "I'm a graphic artist."
HIM: "whats that? What do you do?"
ME:   "well actually it can be pretty hard, i have to  code and..." (getting all technical with my words on what i do."
HIM:  "blank Stare"
ME: "I make pretty pictures..."

Offline Harry Smith

• Patas
    • View Profile

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 09:50:48 AM »
As most of you know, running outside during the cold months can have an affect on your lungs afterwards. A lot of times you'll end up with the "skier's hack" as a result. Some people even have trouble breathing for a while afterwards and get a kind of exercise induced asthma.

For me, I already have asthma so running during winter months usually just sucks for me. I end up using my inhaler a lot because of it.

I've been doing some reading on some solutions to this problem. A lot of people recommend buying a balaclava because it is supposed to help warm the air a little better as you breath it. I'm considering maybe finding some bandanas and seeing if those will work as well.

Anyone know if this helps at all? Or do you know of a similar solution?

Do you have an inhaler. See your family doctor.

Also wear a skully. It's more BAMF
"obsession is a great replacement for talent" -Steve Martin