Author Topic: Pros and Cons of Gloves?  (Read 6682 times)

Offline Rhodium_Snowflake

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Pros and Cons of Gloves?
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:12:15 PM »
I've currently got soft hands since I'm kind of a newbie, and I'm debating on keeping them soft, or building up callouses. You ladies have any tips?

Offline North

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Pros and Cons of Gloves?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »
Why not get some biker gloves? Like the ones with the fingers cut off. Are you afraid of being different in an already different scene? L@L

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »
Why not get some biker gloves? Like the ones with the fingers cut off. Are you afraid of being different in an already different scene? L@L

What do you think you're doing in the Women's board, hotshot?  ;)
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline North

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »
*Looks around*
Well look that! And I just became single again? Oh the irony! lol. Hey just because I am a guy doesn't mean I can't have fashion sense!
Damn I just felt like I just lost one of my man cards. I'm down to only 2 left.

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 07:32:37 PM »
ITS A GIRLS ONLY THREAD GUYZ! JEEZ! I MEAN, COME ON, I MAKE THIS WONDERFUL WEBSITE THEN YOU GUYS BREAK THE RULES...I SAY ITS TIME FOR BANHAMMER TO COME OUT!

[Edit]: Just kidding, Andy! Ahh!
Determination is the wake up call to the human will. Remember that.

Do you think Lance Armstrong gave up? No.

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 10:52:43 PM »
I've currently got soft hands since I'm kind of a newbie, and I'm debating on keeping them soft, or building up callouses. You ladies have any tips?

When I began I didn't wear gloves and I still don't. It's good to build up callouses.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Skye

• Ambassador
  • Mangabey
  • o.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 08:04:43 AM »
I only wear gloves when my calluses rip off my hand while im training and i need something to hold the band-aid in place while i keep on. or when its really cold... But other than that i try to keep glove free, and when i do wear them i use half finger gloves, like the kind you buy in the bike section of wal-mart. But yeah, i started without them, and its like beginning guitar, your hands are going to hate you till you build up them calluses, just be sure to take care of them... or they'll rip off... and the cycle begins again... :P
ME:  "I'm a graphic artist."
HIM: "whats that? What do you do?"
ME:   "well actually it can be pretty hard, i have to  code and..." (getting all technical with my words on what i do."
HIM:  "blank Stare"
ME: "I make pretty pictures..."

Offline Courtney

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 04:07:40 PM »
Oh man banhammer threats coming out??  haha i didnt know banhammer was an all around forum term lol i thought just my jeep one had that haha

im trying to build up callasus....spelling bad sorry....i have a feeling if they get really really bad it might bother me haha but right now it bothers my hands more that theres nothing there...just me  :)
*Always Believe*

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 06:54:23 PM »
Usually when it gets bad for me, I tape my hands. I'll leave you a few links about callouses and what not. :)

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,31349.0.html

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,30567.0.html

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,30614.0.html

That last link has multiple links of other topics. Hope this helps. :)
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Rhodium_Snowflake

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 06:58:35 PM »
Ahh thank you all!! :D

Offline Joy-Marie

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 06:23:09 AM »
Hey! So I had some pretty soft hands too, when I started but playing around on bars changed that quickly! I never wanted to use gloves but I'm not against them. I enjoy feeling whatever I train on with my bare hands. I've ripped two callouses and that was probably after the third day in a row of being on bars (tried a big lache..riiiip! ouch.) Since then I started working out on gymnastic rings and doing lots of pull ups on a pull up bar and those two things will build your callouses without ever ripping them. I haven't ripped since then and my callouses are really strong. It didn't take long! And now I'm getting callouses on my fingers....Haha, actually, Danny Arroyo said my hands remind him of Daniel Ilabaca's.

Anyways, I think you'd be fine, building callouses. It might be painful at first and like Ashley said, you could tape your hands, if they got in the way (I did that for a day or two) but you just have to keep training on them. And if you're worried about ripping, like I said a pair of gymnastic rings and/or pull up bar will help you build callouses fast and without ripping. Once you have strong callouses, it's awesome!!  Good luck.. curious to know what you choose to do!

Offline Katherine Mercy B

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • DarkasNight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 07:30:48 AM »
you shold be fine building calloses[sp?]

i have mine from other hobbies aside from PK [ i make jewelry with wire and such and also go to culinary schoo so my trade tools helped build mine ( round nose pliers really help build them after about 150 twist to close eye hook on rosaries)]

Offline Kenny Johnson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 12:29:24 PM »
I usually wear gloves, but now - I sadly don't have any. :(

Offline freeflow246

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 06:48:40 PM »
I think I'm gonna need gloves. My hands are just really soft, and I don't like having sad hands. :(

Offline akarynn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 02:58:32 PM »
Just to add my input, I used to be pro-glove. In the beginning, I couldn't understand why so many people were so anti-glove. After training with tape for a while, I realized that tape and gloves lose a lot of necessary grip. Maybe you can adjust, but gloves will always be more slippery than your hands, which is dangerous. Your hands will toughen up with time.

Offline Linda Watters

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 10:28:58 PM »
I use gloves for safety for certain aspects of training, like any time my hands are going to touch the ground. Our classes take place in a very beautiful, modern, city park/playground frequented by needle drug users. We do needle sweeps before training and also look for broken glass. Yes, we find used needles in a playground where children play, very sad. As pretty as it looks, I never trust that the grassy areas are safe to play/practise on. (On a side note, this is another reason I am happy my instructors are all men. Sometimes the park has some dodgy looking fellows hanging out but I feel more secure knowing the instructors are always looking out for the students. Their mere presence is enough to discourage the students, male and female, from being bothered)

I'll take my gloves (half-finger weight lifters gloves) off for times when we are climbing things or doing rails. In general, I find the gloves good for protecting my hands against the hazards on the ground but they inhibit my grip for rails and cat leaps.
Trust the Ground, the Ground will always catch you.