Author Topic: Do Traceurs develop a different running stride?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline -Reamer-

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Do Traceurs develop a different running stride?
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:27:33 PM »
i've started to notice my run changing and if you watch Parkour videos, traceurs have an odd run. its like a longer stride and for lack of a better term "uneven" i don't know but tell me what you think about it.

Edit, M2 changed title from: is it me or what? - which could be about anything or nothing at all :)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:59:54 PM by M2. »

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: is it me or what?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:54:11 PM »
yes, its more efficient in a sense that you're not constantly moving your legs
and since you train, your legs become stronger so you have more power when you push off the ground
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline MThomasfreerun

• Mangabey
  • We all start with nothing.
    • View Profile
    • MThomasfreerun's Youtube Page
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:00:26 PM »
Striding is good for navigating uneven surfaces and obstacles, but honestly I think it's a bit excessive when people stride instead of running on the flat surfaces between obstacles. Efficiency is not defined solely but how little effort you put into it - otherwise we'd just walk. I also notice that when striding many people forget to use a good arm swing, which is not always the best either.

In any event - use what you feel is best for you and the environment you're navigating. Best of luck.
"Obstacles - I go over, under, right through, around 'em" - Shed Light

www.pkout.com

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »
Efficiency is not defined solely but how little effort you put into it - otherwise we'd just walk.
Efficiency= Distance, time, and how winded you are afterwards
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 09:43:21 PM »
I don't necessarily think that the way that most traceurs run is more efficient than classical style; if it was, why wouldn't we see distance and sprint runners using this technique in the Olympics and similar competitions?

I feel like it is a combination of personal movement and a feeling of the style of movement. If you are running to connect moves, it may feel more comfortable and (for lack of a better term) 'flowy' to take 3 larger strides between moves rather than taking six baby steps to adjust for correct footing.

But, @OP, yes I agree with you that most traceurs have a more unique style of running.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 12:06:54 AM »
I don't necessarily think that the way that most traceurs run is more efficient than classical style; if it was, why wouldn't we see distance and sprint runners using this technique in the Olympics and similar competitions?

I feel like it is a combination of personal movement and a feeling of the style of movement. If you are running to connect moves, it may feel more comfortable and (for lack of a better term) 'flowy' to take 3 larger strides between moves rather than taking six baby steps to adjust for correct footing.

But, @OP, yes I agree with you that most traceurs have a more unique style of running.

I think Jordan nailed it, especially with the 3 vs 6 steps. What you describe, Reamer, as being uneven could be the pre-movement adjustment steps in preparation for something coming up. I do this all the time. :)
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 12:20:51 PM »
I think it looks "odd" because we're planning and compensating for distance and foot placement. Like Jordan said, it's to avoid stutter-stepping.

Most know how terrible a kong can end up when we stutter-step. :-X

Offline BryanG

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 12:41:45 PM »

The only problem being with this argument being that efficient does not always mean fast. Backstroke is the most efficient stroke used in swimming, however the fastest stroke is front crawl. For distance though, you're spot on :)

I put passion into every movement I take, whether it's using a technique in parkour, or simply goign out for a random run. Because of this, my movements differ from everyone else's, including running style.

Also, "flowy" is the best thing I've heard in a while :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:46:48 PM by BryanG »

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 12:45:47 PM »
The only problem being with this argument being that efficient does not always mean fast. Backstroke is the most efficient stroke used in swimming, however the fastest stroke is front crawl. For distance though, you're spot on :)

Yeah, I totally agree with you, I was initially just going to talk about sprinters form, but then I realized that that technique isn't the most efficient, because honestly, who would be able to keep up that pace for more than 800m at the most? As far as I'm concerned, efficiency means speed and stamina, which would probably be the form that we see in marathons and other distance events.

Offline BryanG

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 02:00:50 PM »
Yeah, I totally agree with you, I was initially just going to talk about sprinters form, but then I realized that that technique isn't the most efficient, because honestly, who would be able to keep up that pace for more than 800m at the most? As far as I'm concerned, efficiency means speed and stamina, which would probably be the form that we see in marathons and other distance events.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking :)

Also, I've noticed you're from Lancaster parkour. I may be moving for university there next year, so maybe I'll see you around :)

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 02:44:18 PM »
before i started practicing parkour i could run in a full out sprint really fast but now that i have been doing it my run has changed and i now run with longer strides and i swing my arms more. People have asked me why i run with such long steps and i replied saying its just a habbit from Parkour. but it feels like im not running as fast anymore and i dont know why. it frustrates me. maybe its just because my legs are sore most of the time. i just dont know.

2 Samuel 22
30 For by you I can run against a troop; By my God I can leap over a wall.
33 God is my strength and power, And He makes my way perfect.
34 ...he sets me on my high places.
37 you enlarged my path under me; so my feet did not slip.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 04:36:11 PM »
Umm I wouldn't think the more experienced people would start running (like running-running) oddly with strides and such. You may be thinking of when they approach and begin to approach obstacle? I can think of many instances when people start this from pretty far away. I'd attribute it toward 1) building speed/power and 2) ensuring their steps are right.

At least that might explain any "uneven"ness. As far as a longer stride alone... I think I do that sometimes due to greater leg strength?
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline righthandbrutality

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »
Just like everybody else has pretty much said... normal running doesn't involve wallclimbs and turn vaults and kongs. Try to run normally across a line of parallel bars and see how far you get!

Offline S Leger

• Mangabey
  • I move for him because he died for me
    • View Profile
Re: Do Traceurs develop a different running stride?
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 06:18:06 PM »
I'm a treysaur for God!

Looking for new music?  Check out my music blog!  http://www.gnewmusic.blogspot.com

matcauthon12

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 06:43:09 PM »
The reason most high level people run that way is because it's easier to judge your footing...try running full speed like a sprinter and take off a ledge. It's much harder to judge where your foot is because it's further under your body and you're not extending your legs out to objects as much.

Offline Chris Ell

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 01:58:04 AM »
I really don't think it's a good thing to have a really long running stride normally. In my opinion the best thing to do is run with a normal, natural stride and then if necessary, change to a longer stride 3 or 4 steps before take off. That way you can run optimally and also set up for a technique easily and put more power behind it without compensating.
╔══════════════╗
Team Moist Productions
╚══════════════╝
-=Training Blog=-

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »
I really don't think it's a good thing to have a really long running stride normally. In my opinion the best thing to do is run with a normal, natural stride and then if necessary, change to a longer stride 3 or 4 steps before take off. That way you can run optimally and also set up for a technique easily and put more power behind it without compensating.

yeah thats what i usually do.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 01:33:26 PM »
I find it easier to aim your steps and to maintain a lot more speed that I would going happy feet(studder steps) as I approach the obstacle. But, I do feel that some guys, particularly the UK fellas, tend to over do it...
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 08:12:54 AM »
I find it easier to aim your steps and to maintain a lot more speed that I would going happy feet(studder steps) as I approach the obstacle. But, I do feel that some guys, particularly the UK fellas, tend to over do it...

i would say they do it out of necessity. have you seen how compact their training areas are? the way ive seen phil and danny float through areas with the use of strides is astonishing.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.