Author Topic: Why do You practice parkour / freerunning?  (Read 15318 times)

Offline Bek "firewall"

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Why do You practice parkour / freerunning?
« on: November 09, 2010, 06:37:25 PM »
Maybe we can debunk some myths, here.

Whilst lurking through some previous topics / discussions, etc, I came across a male member asking how he should act around a tracuese-in-training, because he felt that women practice for different reasons than men.

While everyone has their own reasons for being interested in parkour and freerunning, I pondered: "DO we practice for different reasons?"

What are Your reasons for practicing and, if so, how are they any different from why men practice?

In my case, I had seen several videoes on parkour and, since I had been feeling sluggish lately, felt that I was tired of not knowing my body's potential and wanted to be more active while simultaneously enjoying the act of flowing through my surroundings.

I feel like my current reasons, although perhaps premature, are comparible to any masculine reason for practicing.
I'm doing it for myself; not to impress some dude, not to try and be equal with a mostly male-dominated sport, but because it inspires me.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
Re: Why do You practice parkour / freerunning?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 08:12:32 PM »
I'm gonna repost what I said in the thread in Gen. Discussion and add to it.

Parkour for me is life. It's what makes me feel right in my own skin. I can feel freedom and understand the objects, nature, around me. It's so much different from anything I've ever done because its your body, your mind, your soul, and your technique. I love the challenges it brings and the mental aspect of it. It's inspired me to do many things.

I practice for me and so I can feel like myself. If I didn't practice parkour I'd be wandering aimlessly through the world. It's made me focused and to go on to big and better things with my life.

I don't think I train any differently than a man would. I do it for myself, I'm not here to impress anyone. I'm here to push my body to it's full potential.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Bek "firewall"

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:21:10 PM »
^ awesome, and I think the fact that you (and others) that do it for themselves will find a deeper meaning to it than just running around, whereas strictly trying to impress someone won't get you that same connection.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:30:52 PM »
Exactly. Parkour isn't like anything I've ever done. Team sports is about winning, and getting recognition and being the best at what you do. And it becomes repetitive. Whereas parkour it gets more creative with time, in my honest opinion. Parkour is just you and you alone. You can strive for recognition but it's usually (unless they want to become famous or whatever) with your own self. It's a personal journey why ruin it with something like that.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Britney Blevs

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 08:20:31 AM »
For me, I wanted to do something fun and get in shape at the same time, and parkour seemed liked a good fit. The more I did it, the more it became personal and the more i wanted to find out what my limits were and push them as far as it could go.

There are many times when I feel like I can't do a lot because I started only a few months ago so I get bored/distracted during training when I'm alone or I see people with more experience do things I wish I could do, but I've learned to tough it out and just keep going at the pace that I'm going at. I've grown to be more patient ever since I started.

Offline Natalie Strasser

• Guenons
  • APK Event Coordinator / Socialite
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »
  I've enjoyed reading all your replies!

I feel by doing it for myself it becomes part of me, it changes the way I act and how I see my surroundings. It enables me to express myself without words, and helps me forget that I have my own problems. By conquering the obstacles and goals that are in my path (literally), I can better prepare myself for real life obstacles that I will come to face. It challenges me mentally, emotionally and physically--now that's a well rounded workout!

I certainly don't do it for attention, but I do it in part for myself and to prove that anybody can use their environment. How boring is a gym where you don't talk to anyone, or challenge one another? I need a challenge and parkour definitely fills that void.

People begin parkour (or just about anything) for different reasons, it's the people who stick around whose reasons change. But, there will always be crazy people in the world who do crazy things. So, maybe the 14 year old kid double backing off a roof doesn't quite know that what he/she is doing, essentially, is not parkour. But, maybe to him that IS parkour. So really, it's up to the practitioners to mentor beginners of all ages. I've met a lot of people who've said they could never do parkour, yet they've never tried. They've only seen it in the media, but they don't know that it's more than just a show.

Try bringing a friend a long one time, even if they don't come back, at least they've experienced it!

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »
Awesome reply Natalie. :)

Offline Kendy

• I Violate Your Mind
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The Parkour Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 06:06:54 PM »
freedom... control... strength...
without parkour, I'd have dropped out of highschool, probably commit suicide, and hell I'd be single =P
it's pushing myself past what I thought I could ever achieve, surprising myself with all I do achieve, having the confidence to overcome anything and everything.  I know this post is shorter than all of yours but really it's hard to put how I feel about parkour and why I practice into words.  At first I thought it was just something that looked cool, and I wanted to look cool.  But that mentallity led to me dropping the art for two years.  Then I returned.  I learned the philosophy and developed a few of my own spins on it.

I guess I cant really convey how I feel about parkour to you all because you dont know exactly how I feel when I finally reach the top of that wall.  You dont know how I feel when I finally nail that vault or land that flip consistantly.  True, you may have simmilar feelings, but you dont really KNOW what it is for me exactly...

Truth is, I guess I could consider parkour to be masturbation.  I may not get a sexual thrill out of it (well indirectly maybe but meh (jk)), but I practice for pleasure, self-esteem, confidence, and ... well... let's call it self gratification =P
.:Don't think about it. Just do it:.
[ My Facebook ]
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 06:30:16 PM »
Kendy you have such a unique way of replying to things. :)

Anyways, I don't think we can put everything we feel when we train, but only a small fraction of it because it's all we know how to describe. :)

Offline Kendy

• I Violate Your Mind
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The Parkour Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 06:32:02 PM »
whatchu mean UNIQUE???
I'm specialz and U KNO IT!
.:Don't think about it. Just do it:.
[ My Facebook ]
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 08:21:12 PM »
:) Kendy <33

Offline Bek "firewall"

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 10:10:23 AM »
Very nice, ladies. :)

Offline Anias Zig Zag Reed

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »
I just want prove I can do something right.
Dark Side Free Running

Offline Sarai Brock

• PREGGERZ!
  • Patas
  • Life is a fairytale touched by the hand of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 07:40:06 AM »
I pretty much answered this in the Gen Discussion thread, but I'll do it here too... hi by the way- I'm Sarai... and new... :-)  I'm learning Parkour with my fiance... he was really big into martial arts and tricking for a long time and I'm a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu... we started to notice that our kids were seeing us and our martial arts and using that to fight each other so my fiance decided he wanted to do something that would inspire the kids to be more about the movement than the meanness... also there have been so many times when we have moved couches around and thrown cushions on the floor turning our living room into an obstacle course the kids could jump and run in... so we have a firm belief that with time (they're 6, 3, & 2 right now) we'll start our own little tribe... our whole family rocking the Parkour... :-)  We can't wait to share it with the kids!!
Because that's the way I tuck and roll...

Offline Kim Martin

• Patas
  • More to see, More to do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 01:31:33 PM »
Parkour is a goal and a means
Who hasn't tried the gym scene? repetitive motions, planned routines. its boring and since there is no excitement or anything to really challenge the mind it seems more like a chore.
I found parkour and went "Hey that's the crazy $^!% I used to do as a kid" I looked up online looking to see if there was any clubs in my home city, and was tickled pink to find not only was there a club but there was also a gym that teaches into classes.
Well anyways I signed up and ended up getting a better workout than I got with a gym, and I was looking forward to going back because I had a load of fun.

My goal to regain flexibility and strength, and loose a little weight in the proses(The means). And if I look cool as as side affect that's a bonus

Offline Chantelle

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 12:13:10 AM »
Self defence, gaining huge physical capabilities, being able to play at 26.

Offline Dausen Kokas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »
I practice parkour because when I practice, I can truly feel at peace with myself... The more I practice, the more I develop as an individual. I used to because it was fun to jump around. Now I have found tranquility in something more than music. Parkour and music combined can heal any wound. Mental, or physical. Some injuries require you to "walk" them off. And music gives you more encouragement. It isolates your mind to what's in front of you and not anything else.